Jump to content


Wedding date dilemma

  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 PaulaV

  • VIP Member
  • 2,813 posts

    Posted 16 March 2007 - 12:07 PM

    I need your suggestions. I *really* want to set a wedding date soon...

    We got engaged Dec06 soon after we moved into our new build. We want to get married in the Cancun/RM area, so our first choice date was in July07. We were trying stay out of prime hurricane season, but our old house is still for sale, (bad market right now), and since we are paying for the wedding ourselves, we will not have enough money saved until August or September.

    I recently found out both my best friend in Mexico and my FI's sister are pregnant and due this October. I don't think they should be flying anywhere that late in their pregnancies. They both said they will be there and not to worry about them, but I am trying to be realistic. I am not having this wedding without them. Give them a couple of months with their new babies, get past the holidays...that puts us into Feb 08. That seems like so far away!

    I know this is not the most difficult decision we will have have to make, but it sure feels like it! Click the image to open in full size.

    What do you think we should do?

    #2 TATrisha


      VIP Member

    • VIP Member
    • 12,381 posts
    • Wedding Date:April 11, 2008
    • Wedding Location:Gran Bahia Principle Akumal
    • LocationWisconsin

    Posted 16 March 2007 - 12:44 PM

    I think you should wait until Feb. If you really want pregos to be there with you, I think waiting until Feb is a great idea. July is hot, Aug-Sept are hurricane prone, October=babies, Nov Thanskgiving, Dec Christmas. If I'm not mistaken... and I probably am, but early January I think is actually quite cheap. Since most people travel around the holidays instead... but I suppose it depends on where you go.


    Destination Wedding Photographer & Travel Agent
    www.faberphotography.com - My latest destination wedding photos can be found HERE

    Disney Specialist  /  Bride & Groom Fly FREE Promotion

    Looking for a travel agent that KNOWS DISNEY?  We are an award winning travel agency and you can read our reviews here.
    Awards and recognition: 
    Palace Resorts Winner "Top Travel Agent", "Top Homebased Travel Agency" PRO Platinum Agency (Top Award)   |  AMResorts Master Agent & Top Agency  |  Karisma Hotels Diamond Level 5 (highest production), Top 10 Azul Weddings, Top Wedding Coordinator | Wright Travel & Karisma GIVC Benefits | Travel Impressions Best of the Best Globe Winner   |   Apple Vacations Golden Apple Winner  
    sml_gallery_206696_17612_13451.pnggallery_206696_17572_8409.jpg    sml_gallery_206696_17572_1003.jpg
    Vendor rules are HERE! Please read!  If you are a vendor and looking to advertise your business, please email ads@bestdestinationwedding.com.

    #3 itsme7396

    • Newbie
    • 90 posts

      Posted 16 March 2007 - 01:00 PM

      if you can wait, i'd wait... i went to RM, Mexico last July for on a scouting trip... and it was really hot... i mean really hot... i just had my wedding at the beginning of March and the weather was perfect high 80s low 90s all week... as a bonus the day we left NYC for Mexico, it started snowing... YES... unfortunately the day we got back, it started snowing again... NO... hahahaa... i think having it in the winter just made it a nice break from the cold for us and all our guests...

      #4 TammyB

      • Sr. Member
      • 10,630 posts

        Posted 16 March 2007 - 01:02 PM

        I also say just wait until Feb 08. My feeling is this, time flies, and before you know it your wedding day will be around the corner. And you don't want to be in a money crunch, so give yourself some extra time to save up and sell your house. I know you probably want to be married now versus later, but in big picture, whats an extra couple of months.

        #5 lambert13

        • Member
        • 901 posts

          Posted 16 March 2007 - 01:10 PM

          Karen and I got engaged in Dec. 06 and are planning a July 07 wedding. Getting a wedding together for just the two of us in a 7 month time frame is difficult enough. Incorporating guests would make it much more difficult. Take your time and do it without rushing if you can. There is enough to stress about anyway, no sense in adding timing issues as well.

          #6 Christine

          • VIP Member
          • 21,514 posts
          • Wedding Date:July 20, 2007
          • Wedding Location:Napa, California
          • LocationReno, NV

          Posted 16 March 2007 - 01:41 PM

          I say wait, I know its hard, but I think in the end you will find the whole event will be so much better done right and will all the people you want to be there.
          Christine + Will (married 7/20/07) + Ainsleigh (born 6/25/08) + Nolan (born 11/9/10) + Delaney (born 12/31/13) = One Very Happy Family!

          #7 Debs

          • VIP Member
          • 7,104 posts

            Posted 16 March 2007 - 01:51 PM

            Definately wait. I'm getting married in April 08 so don't feel bad!!

            Not a good idea for them to fly that late in their pregnancy, and if you want them to be there then wait. Gives you more time to save anyway

            #8 gkashmira

            • Sr. Member
            • 1,962 posts

              Posted 16 March 2007 - 02:01 PM

              Defintiely wait! By then you can save some $$, have your friends and their babies AND get the chance to really enjoy the planning process without rushing through it. And believe it or not Feb. 08 is less than a year away - so you're right on schedule!
              Kashmira & Dan
              Happily married since June 16, 2007
              Our mini-video: http://www.bajavideo...m/Kash_Dan.html
              Photo slideshow: http://www.tomasbarron.com/recent.php

              #9 PaulaV

              • VIP Member
              • 2,813 posts

                Posted 16 March 2007 - 02:11 PM

                Thank you all for your responses... I know you are right.
                I guess it will be here quite sooner than I think!

                Thank you!
                Click the image to open in full size.

                #10 PaulaV

                • VIP Member
                • 2,813 posts

                  Posted 22 March 2007 - 09:20 PM

                  Good news! (Hopefully won't jinx us) We got two offers today on our old house that we are trying to sell! (Mentioned in original post).

                  I just accepted one of the offers. Cross you fingers for us that all goes well ... then we can put more $$ towards our wedding fund!
                  Click the image to open in full size.

                  0 user(s) are reading this topic

                  0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users