$1 photographer

MikkiStreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiStreak View Post
Exactly my point--- I'm more suspicious of the motives of the photographer who posts his own special offers while trying to find flaws in other phtographer offers than of a bride posting something they saw and referring people to view it.
I see where you are coming from but, none of the photographers who posted in this thread, including myself, are trying to find flaws in this photographer. Like I said, we are offering a suggestion to be careful based on our experience. If you choose to be suspect of our experiences, that's fine. But, it only makes sense to take advice from people who have been through situations and seen things that you haven't experienced yet.

Of course there's more validity from a referral about a vendor from friend or someone you trust. But this isn't a referral. Have you used this photographers services before? Do you know all that his offer includes? Have you asked him about print/album prices? How are the brides here that you are posting the info for suppose to know if this is legit if you haven't used him either. You only saw him advertise. All we are saying is get all the info first. And, we are just sharing our experience with you. The truth is, you don't know any more than we do about this photographer.

It might help if you posted the information so we could see for ourselves who he is, and what he's offering so that everyone can come to their own conclusions.

Quote:
Kind of like when brides post where they have seen items on sale with different venders. I don't see anyone posting that they should be cautious because there's a "catch" in the offer...
I give people warnings based on direct experiences or experiences based on similar situations. I've seen similar situations, hence the caution.

I don't mean to be in a debate over this. I'm just trying to help you and other brides see where we photographers are coming from.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by anacgarcia View Post
Here's his info in case anyone else is speculating it's fake or it's a scam..

"eMac"
Eduardo Machuca-Torres
Eduardo Machuca - Fotografia|Photography -My general photography
Eduardo Machuca - Wedding Photography | Fotografia de Bodas -My wedding photography
Thanks Anny--- I'm at work and didn't have it with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillhigginsphotography View Post
My only advice is to be sure of what the after costs are. As someone mentioned above, they could likely add up to the same thing you might be able to pay a better photographer.
Yikes...I hope y'all were not referring to my post. I wasn't trying to point out flaws at all. I thought I was just offering a simple tip to check what after costs would be before booking.

I agree wholeheartedly that sometimes you can luck up and get a really good photographer for a great price where both photographer and client are able to benefit from the situation.

In defense of Jill and Jonathan and whichever photographers spoke up about this topic, I think they were just looking out for everyones best interest. Not once did any of them say not to use the $1 guy or to use them instead.

Getting a good price on wedding photos is important to most of us here, but we still have to be careful. Its real important to know up front the costs of everything including hourly rates, print prices, web viewing time limits, copyright ownership, etc. So far Jill and Jonathan have been more than helpful with everyone and very up front about their business. The photographer you choose should do the same also.

Unfortunately for Karen and I, our budget is very low. If we could afford it, I would fly either one of them down here to shoot our wedding. They have absolute top quality work at very good prices relatively speaking. I have read many threads where both of them were giving praise for the photographers other people chose and even helping people choose a photographer while they knew they would not be getting their business.

The $1 thing may be a good deal, or it may not. Before all the numbers are in for final costs of prints, albums, negatives/digital files are in, its too hard to say. I have to agree though that it is a little shady to use such an obvious bait and switch advertising method. Wedding photography is a business, and that photographer would not be doing it if they were not being paid for it. My main point was that the final cost of the package would most likely end up at a level somewhat equal to most other packages from other photographers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthrasherphoto.com View Post
I see where you are coming from but, none of the photographers who posted in this thread, including myself, are trying to find flaws in this photographer. But I wouldnt' say it's harmless to use words like "pricing structure is ethically wrong and deceiving and I would never price my work like this."Like I said, we are offering a suggestion to be careful based on our experience. If you choose to be suspect of our experiences, that's fine. But, it only makes sense to take advice from people who have been through situations and seen things that you haven't experienced yet. The advice is always appreciated, but when it's slipped into a paragraph that is loaded with implications that there must be something wrong with this offer, most people would question the motives of the person making the loaded statements.

Of course there's more validity from a referral about a vendor from friend or someone you trust. But this isn't a referral. Have you used this photographers services before? Do you know all that his offer includes? Have you asked him about print/album prices? How are the brides here that you are posting the info for suppose to know if this is legit if you haven't used him either. You only saw him advertise. All we are saying is get all the info first. And, we are just sharing our experience with you. The truth is, you don't know any more than we do about this photographer. Which is true, but I simply posted that a photographer was offering a special so that brides could research it on their own, if they were interested. I didn't insinuate the guy was deceitful or trying to mark up other aspects of his services to make up for the labor loss. And based on what I've seen of the posts from the brides on here, I would certainly feel confident that they are smart enough and have enough common sense to ask for a printed pricing list and lots of other details prior to entering into any agreements with any vender.

It might help if you posted the information so we could see for ourselves who he is, and what he's offering so that everyone can come to their own conclusions.

I give people warnings based on direct experiences or experiences based on similar situations. I've seen similar situations, hence the caution.

I don't mean to be in a debate over this. I'm just trying to help you and other brides see where we photographers are coming from.

I'd also like to point out that while photographs are a great method of documenting and recording memories of our weddings, they are not the only means of measurement we have. We have our gowns, we have our guest books, we have our bouquets preserved, our invitations, our programs, our table cards and tons of other things we use in our weddings that can catapult us back to the time and place of the memory just as easily as a photograph. We just don't spend thousands of dollars on each of these items. And when it comes down to it, the photographs are wonderful, but a journal is even more telling and something that can be reviewed by future generations also.

I think there are a lot of people who fall into the mentality of "the photos last a lifetime" and use that to justify spending so much more money on one aspect of their wedding. But the reality is that the photographs don't always last a lifetime. If I remember correctly, depending on what chemicals are used and papers printed on, the average lifespan is 25 years before the color starts to deteriorate. Which means, at your 50th, you may or may not have those photos anymore...

I think that it is totally fair for photogs on this site (who have always been informative and helpful) to remind the non-pros to be careful. Especially when the deal says $1. It seems unreasonable and it seems more likely that you would get screwed in the price of prints in the end.

Example: I had to move once and had no $$ so I hired cheap movers. They basically hijacked my stuff and I had to pay more than I would have if I hired normal movers to start.

I think that is what the photogs were doing. When they offer deals on here it has either been 1) for a contest or 2) to build up their portfolios. Because no one has confirmed this man's motives for a $1 deal - it is suspect. It is also suspect that you don't get prints. If he has a reason - then awesome. Go for it.

To each is their own. Everyone is different and puts value on different things. I think it's great that we have some fantistic photographers on here that offers advise and support, however if someone doesn't feel that photo's are that big of a deal, then that's fine. I'm not getting a video, some may think their is more value in a video. Again to each is their own. If someone doesn't have the budget to spend on a well known photographer and tries to find one that best suits their budget then that's great. Do what is best for you, we all just try to offer advise to try to help one another. That is why this forum was created.

I don't think this guy is trying to scam anyone - he clearly states what comes with this package. He doesn't list print prices, so obviously you'd need to find that out ahead of time, but he's pretty clear about a lot of things on his site. And while he may not mention it, my assumption is that, as any other photographer that's offered a discounted or free wedding, that they're just trying to get their name out there and build up their portfolio!

------------FROM HIS WEBSITE----------

One dollar wedding photography package!

For a limited time I am offering a one dollar wedding photography package. Yes, I'm crazy but I'm an artist, so that's OK.

In brief, you pay $1 USD for my photography services on your wedding day, no time limit and no travel fees to destinations listed below. Now let me put it in bullets.

The $1 dollar wedding photography package includes:

• All day, photography wedding coverage with Eduardo Machuca
  • No additional travel fees to common destinations, listed below
  • Online proofing gallery for 3 months
    • Wedding couple, family and friends can purchase individual prints, as well as other products.
Restrictions:
  • At your online proofing gallery, you, your family and guests, will be able to purchase prints at several sizes, in either color, black and white or sepia, with or without white or black borders. Also, you all will be able to order traditional wedding albums, flush-mount coffee table book albums, proof book albums, greeting cards, fine-art cards, DVD slideshow with your wedding images and other products. Payment is made online via credit card, and products are shipped to your address. Shipping charges may apply.
  • When your online event is created, you must invite and pre-register before your wedding date, the email addresses of at least 20 (twenty) guests. All guests that pre-register to your event, will receive a $5 USD credit towards the purchase of products on your online proofing gallery.
  • After the event images are released, after your wedding date, you all will have a 10% discount on products ordered within the first month; a 5% discount during the second month; and cero discount on the third month. Guests that register after the event is released, will also have these discounts but not the $5 credit.
  • Your wedding date must be within this year 2007. I am not accepting reservations for next year.
  • For an additional fee of $25 USD, one-time fee, you can have a permanent, private, customizable online web gallery within my homepage address, password protected if you like, to share with family and friends the images from your wedding day.
  • High resolution images are released after one year.
  • The bride referral program does not apply with this package
  • Products are printed, manufactured and shipped from the USA
  • On the wedding day, you must give me a one dollar bill.
*Common wedding destinations in Mexico without travel fee charges: Cancun | Isla Mujeres | Puerto Morelos | Playa del Carmen | Cozumel | Playacar | Xcaret | Paamul | Puerto Aventuras | Akumal | Chemuyil | Xel-Ha | Tulum | Mayan Riviera | Merida | Campeche |