DREAMS PUERTO VALLARTA "thread"

I got this article from a lady I was corresponding with on villas before I decided to go another route. It addresses the safety issue - I know my family had questions but the violence is along the border, not in PV - just needed to communicate that to them.

Title - Puerto Vallarta Safe and Waiting for You!

Whenever traveling, it is natural to worry about one's safety. Rather than relying on media hype from news stories, which leave us with misconceptions that are simply different from what is reality, a more trustworthy source is from visitors like myself and residents of an area. For that reason, I share with you my own experience as it relates to safety in Banderas Bay.

Despite rapid growth and development in Puerto Vallarta and its surroundings, the region remains one of the safest areas in the country. A big part of this is the fact that it is still a small pueblo where neighbors know one another and watch out for each other. One doesn't walk down the street at any time of day without encountering a friendly smile or even a "hola." Dining out at night at any of the best gourmet restaurants in Mexico or the local taco stand, the ambience is friendly and comfortable. You'll feel secure in the pursuit of any activity you enjoy.

I have been here for a month now. My family joined me for a vacation along Bucerias beaches that were delightful and uncrowded. In the last two weeks I have been spending my days visiting owners and their villas. I travel solo and fetch taxis to my destinations—the cabbies are as friendly and accommodating as ever. In the evenings, I walk the Malecón where locals and tourists stroll in harmony. Sculptures artfully installed at intervals encourage you to dally awhile. Music in the Zocalo prompts you to listen while catching the aroma of roasting corn on the arms of the balmy evening air. I park myself on a convenient bench to try the kernels with salt, chile and lime. The Mariegalante heads for shore as I await her fireworks to illuminate the night sky. It is dark when I arrive home a pie . This has been my routine on many of my visits and this time it was not different in any way. Puerto Vallarta is a happy place I cannot wait to return to and I invite you to experience.

Wherever we wander, our best protection is projecting a smile, exuding self-confidence and remaining alert to what is happening around us. Harmony fosters peace.

Sincerely,

Helga

Thank for posting that info. My guests too have been asking so many questions. I am starting to feel bad that we rushed our wedding and asked our guest to book so quickly with little to no information about what is going on in Mexico.

My guests are asking about it too. I'm going to include a little blurb about safety in the pre-departure letter that I'm e-mailing to everyone. I think people want to know that we're at least thinking about safety. It will be along the lines of:

If youâ€ve been watching the news lately, youâ€ve probably heard about the violent crimes taking place near the U.S./

Mexico border. Weâ€ve been paying close attention and are pleased to report that so far, Puerto Vallarta has remained

very safe. It is more than 1,000 miles away from Tijuana, after all!

Nevertheless, itâ€s always a good idea to keep personal safety in mind whenyouâ€re traveling. Leave your Rolexes and bling-bling diamond earrings at home. Guys, that thick

wallet in your back pocket is an easy grab for pick-pockets. Ladies, keep the purses small and tucked securely under your arm.

So, I already started asking Rebeca about flower options. I asked her if white orchids, white roses, white hydrangea would be an option. She checked with the florist and she said they could do white orchids and white lisianthus (not sure if I spelled that one correctly....) and that it would cost $70 for mine and $85 for my MOH.

I just wanted to share this with my fellow Dreams brides just for info. If anyone else gets info for flowers or anything, keep posting it! :)

I'm thinking it's not worth paying that much extra since I get my bouquet for free with my package, so I'll probably look into just white roses, and maybe keep the lisianthus.

I'm getting married at Dreams in May 2010. My family and my fiance's family have been worried about the violence as well, and it's been quite the headache. I have searched the whole carribean and costa rica and nothing compares. I am keeping the wedding in PV. All the safety information has been helpful. I'd love to see pictures once people return from their weddings!

It's so frustrating because we are getting hesitations now from some guests. Being able to point to objective reports that it's fine (and not just from FI and me!) is helpful. Even the future step-MIL is making FI's dad wait to book because of it. Arrgh.

I have been trying to plan some events at Dreams, in order to do a few organized things but save some $$$. I found most websites didn't have the same information on restaurant and lounge hours of operations. So I reached out to a few people and got the information and thought I would share it with you ladies incase you also needed it.

I think we are going to do a casual Welcome Reception at the Rendezvous Bar and then have an unorganized brunch the day after the wedding and just ask our guests to make reservation between a certain time.

Thank you verey much for choosing Dreams Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa. For your vacations.

Breakfast is served at:

World Café, Buffet style from 7:00 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. Daily

Oceana, a la carte from 8:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. Daily

Lunch is served at:

Seaside Grill Restaurant a la carte from 12:00 hours to 4:30 p.m. daily

World Café, buffet style from 12:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. daily

Barefoot Grill on the beach from 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. daily

Dinner is served at:

Patio a la carte, Mexican from 5:30 p.m. to 10:30 p.m. closed on Tuesday and Fridays

Oceana a la carte, Seafood from 5:30 p.m. to 10:30 p.m. daily

Seaside Grill a la carte, steak house from 6:30 p.m. to 11:00 p.m. daily

Portofino a la carte, Italian from 6:30 p.m. to 11:00 p.m. daily

World Café, buffet style from 6:30 p.m. to 11:00 p.m. daily

Room Service opens 24 hours 7 days a week.

Our five bars open from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 a.m. the next day daily. The Barracuda Bar closes at 8pm.

I am enclosing the Spaâ€s menu and for further information contact Esthela the Spaâ€s Manager at spa1@dreamspuertovallarta.com.mx or dialing 01152 322 226 5000 extension 3000.

We are looking forward to welcoming you soon in our Dreams.