Photo

Vendor ?s - Doing business on the web

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 SummerBeachBum

SummerBeachBum
  • 55 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 08:22 PM

Please let me know if this is an inappropriate thread or not as I know there are strict vendor rules. But I had a few questions for those who have started their own small business and use a website. I am trying to help my friend start her business, so I thought I would get some ideas from you guys, if you're willing to share. TIA :-)

1. What host do you use?

2. Where do you get your website templates?

3. Who designs your website?

4. How do you accept payment from your customers over the web?

5. What is the average cost of your web services?

6. Any advice when doing business on the web?

7. And based on your answers from above, are you happy with all of your web choices thus far?

#2 Kristie O

Kristie O
    • Banned
    • 369 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 12:55 AM

hi, i use bigblackbag.com for my site, if anyone is interested, tell them i sent ya! its more so for pics though and i design it using their templates. its like $17 a month i think. i only use paypal if my clients want to use a credit card. it all works for me:)

#3 TammyWright

TammyWright

Admin & Owner

• Administrators
      • 11,659 posts
      • Wedding Location:Dreams Los Cabos

Posted 16 September 2008 - 03:27 PM

what type of online business? different online business differ so much that it might be better to be more specific.

Quote:
      Originally Posted by SummerBeachBum

1. What host do you use? i have used many different hosts...i need a dedicated server because of my traffic level which is probably more than an average person would need...there are alot of shared server plans out there...just don't use bluehost

2. Where do you get your website templates? my husband does custom sites for bigger companies once they go "big"...he specializes in a shopping cart software for payment, etc.

3. Who designs your website? see above...except you know the old adage "the cobblers children have no shoes...." that is us

4. How do you accept payment from your customers over the web? paypal is a good option...merchant accounts get expensive...shopping cart software is very expensive.

5. What is the average cost of your web services? hmmm...very broad question...do you mean hosting? that should be around $10-20 a month for a small shared account...web services all depend on how much you can do yourself and how much you will have to pay someone to do it for you....my husband charges around $70-80 per hour.

6. Any advice when doing business on the web? start small...it may not be what you want to do...

7. And based on your answers from above, are you happy with all of your web choices thus far? yup

Founder and Owner of BestDestinationWedding.com  /  Bride & Groom Fly FREE Promotion

Looking for a travel agency that specializes in Destination Weddings-CLICK HERE?  We are an award winning travel agency and you can read our reviews here.

Awards and recognition: 
      Palace Resorts Winner "Top Travel Agent", "Top Homebased Travel Agency" PRO Platinum Agency (Top Award)     |    AMResorts Master Agent & Top Agency  
      Karisma Hotels Diamond Level 5 (highest production), Top 10 Azul Weddings, Top Wedding Coordinator | Wright Travel & Karisma GIVC Benefits
      Travel Impressions Best of the Best Globe Winner    |     Apple Vacations Golden Apple Winner  
      sml_gallery_206696_17612_13451.pnggallery_206696_17572_8409.jpg    sml_gallery_206696_17572_1003.jpg
      Vendor rules are HERE! Please read!  If you are a vendor and looking to advertise your business, please email ads@bestdestinationwedding.com.

#4 sunset78

sunset78
      • 1,280 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 03:48 PM

1. What host do you use?
        I use Vodahost

2. Where do you get your website templates?
        I don't use templates

3. Who designs your website?
        I design a little, but for my shopping cart I hired a designer (about 1.5 years after running my business online).

4. How do you accept payment from your customers over the web?
        Paypal or credit card (through Mal's)

5. What is the average cost of your web services?
        About $18CAD a month

6. Any advice when doing business on the web?
        Make sure you site looks professional, optimize SEO (which I need to do), and stand out from the rest if you can.

7. And based on your answers from above, are you happy with all of your web choices thus far?
        Yes

#5 Nora

Nora
        • 87 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 02:14 AM

1. What host do you use? Livebooks

2. Where do you get your website templates? Livebooks

3. Who designs your website? Livebooks

4. How do you accept payment from your customers over the web? PayPal

5. What is the average cost of your web services? Don't know what this means

6. Any advice when doing business on the web? Not really

7. And based on your answers from above, are you happy with all of your web choices thus far? Yes, I love my site and it's tailored for my type of work (photography).

#6 leahstafford

leahstafford
          • 713 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 12:31 PM

I'll answer in terms of my photography business

1. What host do you use? My husband is a web developer and we host through their work.

2. Where do you get your website templates? Mine is designed by myself but program is bought by showit

3. Who designs your website? Myself

4. How do you accept payment from your customers over the web? I use paypal

5. What is the average cost of your web services? To maintain my website I average $50/month.

6. Any advice when doing business on the web? Web presence is a huge thing right now

7. And based on your answers from above, are you happy with all of your web choices thus far? Yes

#7 moss

moss
            • 24 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 12:04 AM

1. What host do you use? godaddy

2. Where do you get your website templates? I program it myself, no commercial template

3. Who designs your website? I have a design team of 2, basically i look for ease of browsing.

4. How do you accept payment from your customers over the web? Paypal always, just be careful of the phishing scams.

5. What is the average cost of your web services? umm I'd say not so much, unless I have to do a major change, like now I am in that process.

6. Any advice when doing business on the web? when I doubt you can ask me, I'll be glad to help.

7. And based on your answers from above, are you happy with all of your web choices thus far? yes....most definitely!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users