Sign in to follow this  
JoLo908

Dollar Dance? Heard of it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelle6114 View Post
Oh dear. Dollar dances? Personally, If I am a guest at a wedding, up until then I've usually bought the couple an engagement gift, bridal shower gift, and money in the wedding card. If I felt like I was still being asked to contribute anything else, I think I would be offended.
I was at a wedding in Montana where the groomsmen kidnapped the bride for ransom and wouldn't let her back until the amount was collected from these poor guests (all who I may add were standing in a church basement drinking punch and eating paper cupfuls of peanuts). The grooms mother just about died from embarrasment.
Obviously it is up to the couple but I think it is tacky.
My step sister and her husband did this. I thought it was tacky to raise a certain amount. I mean really? However it was the groom who had a ball and chain on his foot and it wouldnt be removed till he got all the funds needed.

I personally find it a little tacky but I know lots of people do it. I would say if you do, some sort of explanation about the cultural tradition of it would help to put it in context and make it less tacky. Or donating the money to charity.

I have been to weddings where guests didn't really participate and they had to coax people - that was a little awkward for the bride! So I think explanations can help prevent that too.

Everyone I've ever known has a dollar dance. However, it doesn't usually involve the MOH or a hat or the bride and groom running away. Usually people pay the bride $1 or more to dance with her for a short period of time. Sometimes people also have it set-up to dance with the groom as well but traditionally it's just to dance with the bride.

I just read my response and realized it sounded differently than I meant it. Knowing our guests and wedding, I feel it would be tacky, but I didn't mean it in a general way. For those of you doing it - have fun!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smith3576 View Post
I personally find it a little tacky but I know lots of people do it. I would say if you do, some sort of explanation about the cultural tradition of it would help to put it in context and make it less tacky. Or donating the money to charity.

I have been to weddings where guests didn't really participate and they had to coax people - that was a little awkward for the bride! So I think explanations can help prevent that too.
I'm with her!

Not planning on doing one or anything else to generate revenue. I figure my guests are paying money to be with me and I don't even care if we get gifts. If we need it, we'll buy it.

I responded only after reading the first page, oopps...

Let me just say, if it's a tradition in your family, you will not need to explain what's going on. I grew up to this, so for me and my family it's normal. FI family knows all about it.

Guest do not need to do it, but I have yet to meet one person who hasn't done it (that would be weird) not like you have to put allot of money, it could be $5!