Moving Cats Across the Country! Help!!

Ana

So for those of you who don't know my situation, my FI and I decided to move to Toronto. He moved out there first at the beginning of July, and btw..I hate hate hate long distance! So now finally I'm down to less than 3 weeks here in Vancouver. We decided it would be best to take the cats home first, before the major packing and cleaning would need to get done. So not this weekend, but the following one I'm flying home on Friday night with them, dropping them off with my FI and coming back here to pack and finish up my final exam and wrap up work. But now I'm starting to freak out about moving them cry.gif I bought their carriers super early, like in June so they've had time to get used to them and sleep in them etc... so the shock would be lessend. I also got them puppy training pads, so that I can make an area in both their crates where they can poop and pee if need be. And I got them an herbal anti-anxiety medication from the vet to try to help them. But I'm just so nervous about having them in their crates for over 6hrs, and 4 of those will be under the plane where I won't be with them. Minggis was abandoned so he has anxiety issues, and Abby has never been in a stressfull situation ever. She is crazy attached to me, like I can't even lie down to type this without her on top of me trying to get me to pet her. What if they hate me after this? cry.gif

Has anyone relocated with their cats before? any tips??

I'm totally stressing out :S and sorry this is sooo long!

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ooh, I don't have any good advice, but I totally feel for you. I would be freaking out about having my pets under the plane and away from me for so long. I will say that I don't think they will hate you at all. They will be so happy to see you when its over! They'll love you more because they'll think you saved them. lol Good luck. Did the vet have any advice?

Hey Ana,

My FI and i moved from Montreal to Vancouver last year and brought our baby (our cat) with us. I have never been so worried about anything before as he is an indoor cat that panics on even the shortest trip in a car, plus he is the love of my life (my FI hates it when i say that)... The morning we moved, he absolutely refused to take a sedative (even mushed in his favourite food), so he flew without. He was in transit for 10hours, and he came out of his carrier as good as new (though definitely unhappy). All I can say is that the move will be so much worse for you than for them, and they will be ok. After a day or so he had forgotten all about it and was exploring his new home.

Good luck, i am sure it will go well!

thanks girls! I really appreciate everything. The only advice the vet gave us was not to give them a tranquilizer since they aren't supervised and there's always a risk of having some reaction to it, which is why he recommended the natural/herbal meds. Also he suggested that I get the cats used to their crates early on so that they won't be in an entirely new place for the trip over. Lets just say that I plan on drinking (ALOT) on the flight over. I have panic attacks on my own on the planes, nevermind knowing they will be under the plane. Sometimes I wish I could just explain to them how what is going on sad.gif

edessbride09, did you have your cat under the plane or as carry on? and did you fly with westjet?

Just put a piece of material inside the carrier that smells like you or smells like home. It can be a face cloth or a scarf or even a sweater, just something that reminds them of home. They'll probably be pretty ticked at you for the first couple of hours, but they'll get over it pretty quick. Don't worry too much about it, cats are pretty resilient, mine have moved a couple of times and they always come around after they have investigated the new house, and a few treats and belly rubs :) And NO tranquilizer! Your vet was right wink.gif I never gave my two anything and they've popped right back after an hour or so to get used to the new place and find their favourite cuddling spot.

Don't worry!! The kitties will be fine :) Have fun with the move!

I would be a wreck knowing that they were under the plane too. That just doesn't seem like a trip that I would be looking forward too, although it is true that they will do fine. Once you get them to their new home, they will be to busy exploring to stay mad. Of course you will feel bad that they had a long trip in the kennels under the plane that you will probably be loving them up, which they will also love!!!

If it's ok with your vet, I would agree with giving children's liquid benedryl. I have used it before too. I have also given it to one of my dogs, when they sprained a leg running and I could tell she was in so much pain because she couldn't settle but just kept moving around. It just sedates them enough so they can rest and keep off the leg.