• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Yari

Yari
  • VIP Member
  • 10,928 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 02:20 PM

Hi girls and gents...

I am doing the Light the Night Walk on September 20th. I am walking in memory of a little girl named Laiken. She died a few months ago at age 13 after a three year battle with lukemia. She was on my step-daughter's cheer squad, so this hit home hard. The whole squad is participating in the walk this year, which I am sure will be a very emotional experience.

I know times are tough right now, but if you have any money to spare that would be great. Please don't feel obligated, I totally understand if you are unable to contribute.

Here is my link...thanks so much!

Fight for the End of Cancer

#2 Helen_S81

Helen_S81
    • 985 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 02:59 PM

Yari,

I have participated in this walk in Toronto, the past 4 years with a friend of mine who is a survivor of multiple myeloma, also a 'blood' cancer. It is a very moving experience. I will once again sponsor my friend, Rhonda. I encourage everyone to help in whatever way they can.

#3 Jacqueline

Jacqueline
      • VIP Member
      • 3,160 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 03:11 PM

What a gr8 cause. It will be emotional for sure but you guys are so great for doing this.

#4 jamisoncollette

jamisoncollette
        • 1,257 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 04:34 PM

A friend of mine died from leukemia right before my senior year of college. He was on the list for a bone marrow transplant but a match was never found, most likely because he was an African-American and there are less donors of all minorities. His family has done a ton of events to get the word out. I am now on the donor list and received a screening call a few days ago. I may be a match for someone but there are tests to be done and I have a complication due to being treated for cervical cancer two years ago. I only received surgery twice but the National Marrow Center wants to be sure the patient only receives healthy marrow. So long story, Yari, I'm in-heading to your site now.

#5 Yari

Yari
          • VIP Member
          • 10,928 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 04:43 PM

Quote:
            Originally Posted by jamisoncollette
            A friend of mine died from leukemia right before my senior year of college. He was on the list for a bone marrow transplant but a match was never found, most likely because he was an African-American and there are less donors of all minorities. His family has done a ton of events to get the word out. I am now on the donor list and received a screening call a few days ago. I may be a match for someone but there are tests to be done and I have a complication due to being treated for cervical cancer two years ago. I only received surgery twice but the National Marrow Center wants to be sure the patient only receives healthy marrow. So long story, Yari, I'm in-heading to your site now.
            Wow, thank you.

I am on the donor list too. They had a donor drive last year for Laiken. She actually was matched earlier this year went through the surgery and died within weeks. I didn't realized how dangerous the surgery is. I do hope that I get called one day and told I am a match.

#6 stltk

stltk
            • 120 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 01:22 AM

I just saw this thread, so sorry so late better late than never I suppose.
              Anyway, I am also doing the Light the Night walk this Friday the 12th. I've never done this one but have done the American Cancer Society's Relay for Life. We have a group at work I'm walking with & we've been raising $$ past few months to donate to the walk. In total, we have raised $2325.00 thru various fundraisers: BBQ, basket raffle, baseball ticket raffles, etc. It's really been a lot of fun & it's a great organization. Looking forward to this event, although I don't have a particular person I am walking for, I do know of a few ppl that are leukemia survivors, so they will definitely be in my thoughts.
              Thanks for all you're doing Yari, you make a difference!!

#7 syl1115

syl1115
              • 789 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 08:32 AM

I will be doing it in October for my surviving sister of Multiple Myeloma and Amyloidosis.
                Sylvia

Our wedding slideshowhttp://www.facebook.....=1047086342460

#8 Yari

Yari
                • VIP Member
                • 10,928 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 12:01 PM

Very cool! Thanks for supporting me.

#9 kerryjbrown

kerryjbrown
                  • 672 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 03:51 PM

Congratulations on doing such a wonderful thing! I am sorry to hear about your daughters friend. I just finished walking the Breast Cancer 3Day last weekend and the friend I was walking for who had BC, developed Leukimia and died 2 weeks ago. This is a wonderful cause! Keep up the fight and the raise the awareness!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users