For the teachers in the house..

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 yamille

yamille
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 11:48 PM

Hi All,

My sister is still needing to pass one more certification test and just returned from the Peace Corps where she was teaching for the past few years. She is looking to find a teaching assistant job until she passes the test needed for NY or decide on grad school.

Any ideas on how to approach this? Are there teaching recruiters out there? How did you get your job? She has responded to several posts on craigs list but I always feel that those are kind of a longshot. I could be wrong.

Any advice would be great! Thanks in advance...

#2 LadyP

LadyP
    • 3,156 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 11:56 PM

In PA there is PAreap.net and there she can find any job offers that are available in the pa area. I am ASSuming that there is a nyreap and so forth. Also check the districts website where she wants to work there she will find job opportunities.

#3 Martha

Martha
      • VIP Member
      • 3,906 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 11:57 PM

It may be different down here, but we usually just apply online with the different districts and then send resumes to the principals of each school.

Our state also has education service centers that are broken up by the different regions of our state where all the jobs available are listed.

I don't think my answer helped you much...sorry :)

#4 JoLo908

JoLo908
        • 889 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 12:40 AM

I would tell her to call or apply to different districts... becoming a teacher is so complicated, or so it seems... I am trying and it is like hurdling brick walls... but she will get there! Definitely call different districts and see if they have openings...

#5 Christine

Christine
          • VIP Member
          • 21,514 posts
          • Wedding Date:July 20, 2007
          • Wedding Location:Napa, California
          • LocationReno, NV

Posted 04 September 2008 - 10:54 AM

in most areas you have to send in applications for each seperate district, they usually have the details of their application process on the district website.
          Christine + Will (married 7/20/07) + Ainsleigh (born 6/25/08) + Nolan (born 11/9/10) + Delaney (born 12/31/13) = One Very Happy Family!

#6 jamisoncollette

jamisoncollette
          • 1,257 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 11:04 AM

In upstate NY she can apply to the local BOCES for several schools at once.

#7 1elephant

1elephant
            • VIP Member
            • 15,998 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 08:41 PM

i can only tell you how i did it 2 yrs ago when i needed a job closer to home: i checked out the good districts w/in a 15 mile radius, filled out any online application, but also sent a resume to every principal, superintendent and director of curriculum in each district, even if there weren't any specific job postings. i sent out 70+ resumes, but b/c i sent it to the director of curriculum (which not many people do), i was called in for an interview and subsequently beat out 400 other people for a job.
              i've heard that in jersey there are between 300-500 resumes per job posting.
              good luck to her!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users