• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 adias.angel

adias.angel
  • 719 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 03:20 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by laybar
    I like your idea of white / tan / neutral colors.. i saw it in a photographer's pics & it looked awesome! Check it out:
    Click the image to open in full size.

What I really love about going all neutral is that the only splash of color (orange) on everyone will be my FI tie, the back of my dress, monogram on my parasol and my flowers.

#22 Danniellou

Danniellou
    • 815 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 03:26 PM

NO WAY! You should be the only one in white!

#23 RaydensMama

RaydensMama
      • VIP Member
      • 2,861 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 03:28 PM

I would talk with your mom. My cousin wore white to my wedding and I didnt say anything but in my head I was so freaking pissed! Its your day, and you should be the only one in white!!

#24 bumbles

bumbles
        • 574 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 08:58 AM

I like Beck's idea of asking her to wear it to the rehearsal dinner or welcome party. That way, she can still wear the outfit. If you live closeby, maybe you can suggest a fun mother/daughter shopping trip to find a new outfit or maybe send her some pictures/links via email? There are so many beautiful colors and styles of clothing out there I am sure she'll find something! :)

#25 laybar

laybar
          • 249 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 11:40 AM

[QUOTE=adias.angel;526695]Thanks When I first read that for a Mayan ceremony all guests were asked to wear neutral colors I had the same "NO WAY!" reaction. But after seeing some older family portraits of my FI's family where they did the same thing I feel in love with the idea.

Here is the example laybar found:

What I really love about going all neutral is that the only splash of color (orange) on everyone will be my FI tie, the back of my dress, monogram on my parasol and my flowers. [/QUOTE

]

The pictures will look great!! =)

#26 beachbride08

beachbride08
            • VIP Member
            • 2,372 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 12:02 PM

[QUOTE=laybar;527597]
              Quote:
              Originally Posted by adias.angel
              Thanks When I first read that for a Mayan ceremony all guests were asked to wear neutral colors I had the same "NO WAY!" reaction. But after seeing some older family portraits of my FI's family where they did the same thing I feel in love with the idea.

Here is the example laybar found:

What I really love about going all neutral is that the only splash of color (orange) on everyone will be my FI tie, the back of my dress, monogram on my parasol and my flowers. [/QUOTE

]

The pictures will look great!! =)
              I love the all white weddings and wanted to do that for ours, but when I mentioned it to some of my family they weren't really down with it. I figured that even if I went with it people would end up wearing what they want and it wouldn't have the effect I was going for, but for pictures I think it looks awesome especially with some pops of color from flowers or whatever.

If you don't want your mom to wear white, then I would just tell her. She can always wear the outfit a different day.
              Michelle

#27 Erica053009

Erica053009
              • 513 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 07:44 PM

I don't think your mom should where the same color as you no matter if you wear white, blue, red, pink ( I think you get the picture) If she is walking you down the aisle then you should stand out and not be wearing the same color. Unless you decide to have a white party where everyone wears white

#28 Julia

Julia
                • 19 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 07:40 PM

Someone else's point, that the whites would blend together and would not let you stand out, would be a great way to say 'no' to your mom. She shouldn't want to steal your show that day, and I'm sure she doesn't realize how it seems.

#29 cougs

cougs

VIP Member

• VIP Member
                  • 12,151 posts

Posted 28 September 2008 - 02:59 AM

another point to be made here is that whether or not YOU have a problem with it, it's common opinion that it's a major faux pas for anyone other than the bride to wear white. i don't think you really want other guests murmuring about how rude they think your mom is, and certainly your mother doesn't want that either. she will probably be meeting many people for the first time around your wedding, and that's not a very favorable first impression.

editing to say i think the all-white weddings are very cool tho!

#30 starchild

starchild

• Moderators
                    • 26,161 posts

Posted 28 September 2008 - 03:10 AM

I don't really see it as a big deal. Nobody will mistake her for the bride and a DW is non-traditional in itself, so don't feel the need to apply tradition when it comes to your mom and what she wants to wear. It sounds like you don't think it is a big deal either, but you may be concerned that 'people' will talk or say it is not right.

We get overwhelmed with wedding things so I understand the question, but imho this doesn't matter. Many brides have mothers who are dead or not involved in their lives...if their mothers made it to their weddings I bet they wouldn't care what color outfit they put on. Just a thought :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users