my mom wants to wear white...

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Jenn6603

• 118 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 11:30 PM

and I am not sure how I feel about this!!!

My first thought was WTF?!? Then I wondered why not?

Its not a dress, its dressy capris and a shirt type jacket... It is a very dressy outfit but I am not so sure how I feel about it...

She is walking me down the aisle... I am wearing a white full length wedding dress...

I don't think she realizes that although this isn't a traditional fancy schmancy wedding at a golf club or what-have-you, I still want elegance and some tidbits of tradition!

Is it still bad etiquette for someone other than the bride to wear white? Or am I being old fashioned?

I guess I am just looking for some input... I am not sure what to think anymore!

#2 tvt

• VIP Member
    • 4,812 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 11:54 PM

i would say you should try and talk your mom out of wearing white. IMO you should be the only person wearing white. it's your big day!!!

#3 KLC77

• 2,207 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 12:10 AM

If it were me, I would tell my mom NO WAY. Its a DW, but for some reason I feel strongly that the bride is still the only one who gets to wear white, or off white, or ivory or any other shade close to white! lol

Our Awesome Wedding Pics: http://www.delsolpho...ings/kelly&ron/

#4 loveangel0610

• 272 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 12:17 AM

I don't think I would want my mom to wear white either. I remember last year at my cousin's wedding one of the guests had on a white ball gown that looked very similar to a wedding dress and an updo. I almost didn't know who the bride was. I thought I had a picture but I can't find it.

#5 Yari

• VIP Member
          • 10,928 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 12:38 AM

I agree with the others...tell her no way.

#6 Tara

• 473 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 02:22 AM

Absolutely NOT! At least I wouldn't want anyone else stealing my thunder on my big day.

#7 Jen_S

• 3,737 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 07:19 AM

I would also tell my mom please don't wear white. It is your one time you get to go to a wedding and wear white. My mom is walking me down the aisle also and my fear was that we would blend together so if you both wear white you might, i don't know why I really think that but i do lol.
                Our Honeymoon In Ireland!!

#8 becks

• VIP Member
                • 4,881 posts
                • Wedding Date:August 9, 2008
                • Wedding Location:Riviera Maya
                • LocationNew York

Posted 04 September 2008 - 07:40 AM

It is considered an extreme faux pas for ANYONE to wear white (or ivory, cream or champagne) to a wedding unless specifically asked to do so by the bride. PERIOD.

This is a non-negotiable point. Tell her to keep looking. Tell her to wear the white outfit to your rehearsal or welcome dinner. But it is just bad, bad taste to even think about wearing white to a wedding. (unless you're the bride of course).

Happily married since 2008

Allurements by Rebecca - Destination Wedding Invitations and more

#9 Hartyt509

• 2,262 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 07:55 AM

If you're wearing white I'd just ask her not to wear it. For me it wouldn't matter because i'm wearing black lol

It is gonna look really weird tho if you are both in white.

#10 DanielleNDerek

• VIP Member
                  • 18,452 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 08:31 AM

I would tell my mom NO! Unless you are completely fine with it just tell your mom that she needs to find something else to wear.
                    ***Married November 6, 2008***Gavin Born February 28th, 2010***
                    Paradisus Palma Real Wedding Review
                    Our Professional Wedding Pictures on Snapfish

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users