Cancun Airport - Customs

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 adias.angel

adias.angel
  • 719 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 08:52 PM

Hi Ladies,
    I have heard some awful things about customs. I would like to make OOT gift boxes but wrap them up like a present. If I wrap up 10-15 small boxes in wrapping paper and place them in checked luggage am I going to have a problem with them when I get to MX? Will they unwrap them? Thanks, Carla :)

#2 rodent

rodent

VIP Member

• VIP Member
    • 18,759 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 09:03 PM

i don't even wrap my stuff when I'm flying from NC to texas.

You can always wrap the top & bottom of the box seperately so the lids can be removed without unwrapping it.

#3 becks

becks

VIP

• VIP Member
      • 4,881 posts
      • Wedding Date:August 9, 2008
      • Wedding Location:Riviera Maya
      • LocationNew York

Posted 04 September 2008 - 08:04 AM

If you get the red light when you go thru customs, they will open the boxes. And, more than likely, they will open all of them.

Do yourself a favor and save the wrapping until you arrive. Just enlist the help of friends and it will be a quick process.

Happily married since 2008

Allurements by Rebecca - Destination Wedding Invitations and more

#4 MissyR

MissyR
      • 1,210 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 08:20 AM

I agree with Becks. We just got back from a site visit and had three smaller boxes with us - they ran them through three times and then she wanted to open them - we convinced her (through a translator :)) there was no need but I can certainly see how they could make you..

#5 rodent

rodent

VIP Member

• VIP Member
        • 18,759 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 08:46 AM

won't airport security open them too? I've been told to never wrap presents when flying. that's why I take mine home unwrapped every christmas.

#6 trulystarr

trulystarr
          • 44 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 12:20 AM

This is good to know... Cause most of my stuff is DIY...

#7 ChelseaRose

ChelseaRose
            • 139 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 03:57 PM

Also, I've heard that you should hold onto your receipts so that they know you are not trying to resell the items in a different country. I agree with Becks too, just enlist the help of friends to get them wrapped once you arrive. Good luck!

#8 candicemarie

candicemarie
              • 271 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 02:40 PM

Yikes, that would be a nightmare to stand there and watch them rip open all your hard work! I would def wait on the wrapping, like the other ladies said. At least it'll be one less thing to stress about

Here's a great thread w/TONS of info about the customs issues in MX. She even has a link just for the Cancun airport!
                http://bestdestinati...om/forum/t41422

#9 finleys7

finleys7
                • 703 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 02:54 PM

I won't wrap them until you get down there. Also the green/red light is completely random, so I wouldn't take any chances.

In the event you are stopped, it might help to bring receipts for things too, such as Advil and sun tan lotion.
                  Shannon

YEAH---We Did It! **May 1st, 2010**
                  Our Wedding SlideShowMy Wedding Review - Iberostar Paraiso Del Mar http://bestdestinati....-2010-a-58966/My Planning Threadhttp://bestdestinati...ding.com/fo....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users