Jump to content

Photo

is anyone NOT getting married at a resort??


  • Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#11 FutureMrsRobinson

FutureMrsRobinson
  • Newbie
  • 12 posts

    Posted 04 September 2008 - 10:02 PM

    Thanks for creating this thread. I was wondering about non AI sites. My problem is I am Jamaican! My whole family is already there, only close friends and FI's family will be flying in. And I have a large Jamaican family. We are looking at 100 people for a DW!

    All the AI's want to charge some ridiculous amount for a day pass for people not staying at the hotel. Just the day passes would blow our budget!! Tropical Weddings seemed like the only non AI coordinators. but I agree with FLgator:It is overkill to charge $20 per guest for just a plastic chair with cover and sash for 15 minutes!! I'm thinking we might just end up getting married in my grandmother's front yard!

    #12 ~Debra~

    ~Debra~
    • Jr. Member
    • 500 posts

      Posted 04 September 2008 - 11:26 PM

      Quote:
      Originally Posted by FutureMrsRobinson
      Thanks for creating this thread. I was wondering about non AI sites. My problem is I am Jamaican! My whole family is already there, only close friends and FI's family will be flying in. And I have a large Jamaican family. We are looking at 100 people for a DW!

      All the AI's want to charge some ridiculous amount for a day pass for people not staying at the hotel. Just the day passes would blow our budget!! Tropical Weddings seemed like the only non AI coordinators. but I agree with FLgator:It is overkill to charge $20 per guest for just a plastic chair with cover and sash for 15 minutes!! I'm thinking we might just end up getting married in my grandmother's front yard!

      I don't know how much the day passes are but it might be cheaper to have it offsite if the per person price offsite is less than it would be to buy everyone a day pass.

      #13 FLgator

      FLgator
      • Jr. Member
      • 253 posts

        Posted 05 September 2008 - 05:58 AM

        [QUOTE=~Debra~;527005] Almarie quoted us $15 per person for transportation. LUCKILY I found Lee's. [QUOTE]

        We are using Lee's too! It sounds like we are having the same wedding. I had to talk Norma down from $20pp to $15pp, you are lucky to have gotten it down to $7...is that to take everyone to ceremony and Evita's? Maybe the resort is closer to everything than the port, b/c she wouldn't go lower than $15. Also, at the time I thought there was only 30 of us, maybe that would of changed the price. What are you doing for flowers?

        #14 ~Debra~

        ~Debra~
        • Jr. Member
        • 500 posts

          Posted 05 September 2008 - 09:03 PM

          FLgator, hmm I'm not sure what's up with the price quote or why ours was $7.00 Maybe its because we are having 40-50 ppl??

          As far as flowers go, that is something I'm struggling with. I don't think I want flowers for my centerpieces...maybe just candles and something else but I've always wanted a bouquet of roses. nothing else! I want the bridesmaids bouquets to be roses as well as the Boutinneires. I'm in the process of looking for someone now. I don't think I can afford Tia Flora. My total flower budget is $400 and I'm hoping that's a realistic amount. We shall see...

          #15 ~*petals*~

          ~*petals*~
          • Sr. Member
          • 1,572 posts

            Posted 05 September 2008 - 10:25 PM

            My cousin got married at a church in Ocho Rios and then had the reception at The Ruins at the Falls. It was beautiful.

            Here are pics from The Ruins' site:

            Click the image to open in full size.

            Click the image to open in full size.

            #16 FLgator

            FLgator
            • Jr. Member
            • 253 posts

              Posted 06 September 2008 - 08:44 AM

              Quote:
              Originally Posted by ~Debra~
              FLgator, hmm I'm not sure what's up with the price quote or why ours was $7.00 Maybe its because we are having 40-50 ppl??

              As far as flowers go, that is something I'm struggling with. I don't think I want flowers for my centerpieces...maybe just candles and something else but I've always wanted a bouquet of roses. nothing else! I want the bridesmaids bouquets to be roses as well as the Boutinneires. I'm in the process of looking for someone now. I don't think I can afford Tia Flora. My total flower budget is $400 and I'm hoping that's a realistic amount. We shall see...
              Yeah, I would really like to go with Tai Floral, but they are way out of our budget. We aren't doing any decorations at Evita's, it is just not realistic for us coming off a cruise ship and all. We could ship stuff, but we are try to keep things simple. Are you hiring a band or dj at Evitas?

              #17 PoeticJustice

              PoeticJustice
              • Newbie
              • 91 posts

                Posted 06 September 2008 - 01:00 PM

                Quote:
                Originally Posted by ~*petals*~
                My cousin got married at a church in Ocho Rios and then had the reception at The Ruins at the Falls. It was beautiful.

                Here are pics from The Ruins' site:

                Click the image to open in full size.

                Click the image to open in full size.
                We are getting married at the Ruins October 11 and it is a very popular venue locally in Jamaica. The staff is very friendly and works with your budget. There are 3 or 4 different banquet rooms to choose from and they have an array of choices for your Reception dinner. In addition they check in with me on a regular via email and they are eaisly accesible by phone:

                Click the image to open in full size.

                Click the image to open in full size.

                Click the image to open in full size.

                Click the image to open in full size.

                Click the image to open in full size.

                Click the image to open in full size.

                #18 PoeticJustice

                PoeticJustice
                • Newbie
                • 91 posts

                  Posted 06 September 2008 - 01:06 PM

                  Here are some full size images:

                  Click the image to open in full size.


                  Click the image to open in full size.

                  #19 bashigyal

                  bashigyal
                  • Newbie
                  • 64 posts

                    Posted 06 September 2008 - 02:09 PM

                    Quote:
                    Originally Posted by FutureMrsRobinson
                    Thanks for creating this thread. I was wondering about non AI sites. My problem is I am Jamaican! My whole family is already there, only close friends and FI's family will be flying in. And I have a large Jamaican family. We are looking at 100 people for a DW!
                    Wow...I this is EXACTLY like me!! I am Jamaican but living in the states, same for my fiance. Our families and most friends are already there and only 15 people or so will be flying in. In trying to control the guest list, we are also having 100 guests!

                    FutureMrsRobinson, what places have you checked out? I am leaning towards The Ruins myself, although I started out wanting either an outdoor Great House venue, or at least a nice garden setting in the mountains. I've considered Bellefield Great House (currently closed for refurbishment) in MoBay, Good Hope Great House in Falmouth (expensive and roads to the plantation are terrible!), Firefly in Oracabessa (beautiful view but setting is too casual and grounds aren't that great), Cranbrook Flower Forest (pretty nice and cheapest option so far, just not as crazy about their ceremony gazebo), and now there's the Ruins. Have you heard of Laughing Waters. Mi dear, supposed to be very exclusive...where PJ Patterson and his cronies use; I think his daughter was married there too. But you need a referral from someone to even see the place!! Also thinking of checking out Coyaba Gardens. Any other ideas for an outdoor venue?

                    #20 ~Debra~

                    ~Debra~
                    • Jr. Member
                    • 500 posts

                      Posted 07 September 2008 - 12:23 PM

                      Quote:
                      Originally Posted by FLgator
                      Yeah, I would really like to go with Tai Floral, but they are way out of our budget. We aren't doing any decorations at Evita's, it is just not realistic for us coming off a cruise ship and all. We could ship stuff, but we are try to keep things simple. Are you hiring a band or dj at Evitas?
                      We are going to bring my Ipod hook it up to Eva's system. Im not sure how the whole thing works and neither does my FI so we're going to bring someone who knows more about that stuff because Eva said that's one area she leaves completely up to the DJ. I'm thinking we will probably bring some Cds as back up in case the Ipod idea just doesn't work. I would hate to not have my first dance because we didn't have any music or didn't know how to work the music. lol




                      0 user(s) are reading this topic

                      0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users