Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
bashigyal

is anyone NOT getting married at a resort??

Recommended Posts

Seems like everyone is going to AI route and I'm wondering if anyone else here is coordinating a wedding that's not at an AI? If so, I'm hunting for a good wedding planner in the Ocho Rios area, if anyone has experience with one that they would recommend, or share any feedback they have on non-AI venues they've considered for their ceremony and reception.

 

Thanks!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am using destinationweddings.com as my TA. While most of their business is with the resorts they also can help you set up an off resort ceremony. Check The Ruins in Ocho Rios. It is beautiful there and you can have your wedding and reception there. Also if you want to have your guests stay at an AI and have your reception somewhere else where you are free to make all the decisions you want, there are several places in Rose Hall where you can do this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am staying at ROR but my ceremony and reception are both offsite. I found a company online called triopicalweddingsjamaica.com They have plenty of options and packages. You can choose to get married on the beach (like me) oceanside, in a garden, in a church, etc. and the packages are customizable. I told her what amount I did NOT want to go over and she picked out a package that would suit us then we added and deleted items from the package at our will. So far, they have been great to work with.

 

I am not using them for the reception. I found a restaurant in Ocho Rios called Evitas and we are taking our group there. If you have any questions, I'll do my best to answer them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_willis22 View Post
I am using destinationweddings.com as my TA. While most of their business is with the resorts they also can help you set up an off resort ceremony. Check The Ruins in Ocho Rios. It is beautiful there and you can have your wedding and reception there. Also if you want to have your guests stay at an AI and have your reception somewhere else where you are free to make all the decisions you want, there are several places in Rose Hall where you can do this.
I have actually looked at the Ruins. I know the place well...and probably need to look at it from a "fresh" pair of eyes to see the potential. Which places in Rose Hall would you recommend? I have thought about the Hilton Rose Hall but hear from friends it's "just ok" and the food isn't all that great. Where specifically would you suggest?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am using Michelle at weddingplannerplus.com - she is great and very reasonable with any budget. My mom and step-dad used her as well as my best friend. She can take a little while to respond to emails, but it is worth it!

 

Hope this helps!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry - I also forgot to say that I am not getting married at a big resort. Michelle will help with finding an intimate location for the ceremony and reception.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Debra~ View Post
I am staying at ROR but my ceremony and reception are both offsite. I found a company online called triopicalweddingsjamaica.com They have plenty of options and packages. You can choose to get married on the beach (like me) oceanside, in a garden, in a church, etc. and the packages are customizable. I told her what amount I did NOT want to go over and she picked out a package that would suit us then we added and deleted items from the package at our will. So far, they have been great to work with.

I am not using them for the reception. I found a restaurant in Ocho Rios called Evitas and we are taking our group there. If you have any questions, I'll do my best to answer them.
Me too! Except we will be arriving by cruise ship for the day only. We are working with Tropical Weddings Jamaica, which I have found nothing but rave reviews on quite a few forums. It does seem like she over prices some of the items to make a larger profit, but I felt confident choosing her so it was worth it to us. Everyone talks about how great she (Almarie) is, she will answer my questions for the most part, but she has been very short with me and not all that "wonderful." Basically, I literally researched every nonresort option and this was the company I felt the most comfortable with based on reviews and pictures.

We will be having our lunch reception at Evita's. I can say nothing but good things about the owner, Eva. She is has been extremely helpful and very responsive. Good luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLgator View Post
Me too! Except we will be arriving by cruise ship for the day only. We are working with Tropical Weddings Jamaica, which I have found nothing but rave reviews on quite a few forums. It does seem like she over prices some of the items to make a larger profit, but I felt confident choosing her so it was worth it to us. Everyone talks about how great she (Almarie) is, she will answer my questions for the most part, but she has been very short with me and not all that "wonderful." Basically, I literally researched every nonresort option and this was the company I felt the most comfortable with based on reviews and pictures.

We will be having our lunch reception at Evita's. I can say nothing but good things about the owner, Eva. She is has been extremely helpful and very responsive. Good luck!

Yeah I would have to agree Almarie isn't overly friendly in our email coorespondence. I just don't get that excited tone in the emails from her....maybe it'll change once its closer to the date or when we actually meet. She has been very thorough and she's quick to respond and I agree about the overpriced stuff. I asked if she thought we would need fans for our guests due to the weather and she suggested purchasing some fans from them but they were like $13 a piece. Um, no thank you! lol

Eva has been great! she suggested someone for our cake and our centerpieces (tia flora) but tia flora is a little outside of our budget so I'm hoping she can recommend someone who's prices are a little less.

Did you already decide on your menu?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Debra~ View Post
Yeah I would have to agree Almarie isn't overly friendly in our email coorespondence. I just don't get that excited tone in the emails from her....maybe it'll change once its closer to the date or when we actually meet. She has been very thorough and she's quick to respond and I agree about the overpriced stuff. I asked if she thought we would need fans for our guests due to the weather and she suggested purchasing some fans from them but they were like $13 a piece. Um, no thank you! lol

Eva has been great! she suggested someone for our cake and our centerpieces (tia flora) but tia flora is a little outside of our budget so I'm hoping she can recommend someone who's prices are a little less.

Did you already decide on your menu?
Well, at least I know that I am not the only one...I was beginning to think she had something against me. Yeah, $13/fan is ridiculous...definitely bring your own, we are. What bugs me about her packages are that they are for 10 guests, but these guests include the bride and groom. We will have near 40 people, so having to pay per head after 10 is adding up quickly. It seems overkill to charge $20 per guest for just a plastic chair with cover and sash for 15 minutes(maybe I am just cheap). Did you find the same thing to be true?

This is the menu we decided on, but we will probably eliminate the appetizers OR the soup and salad. It just all seems like a lot of food for lunch. We both don't like cake and icing, but love cheesecake. So instead of a wedding cake we will allow our guests to pick their dessert.

choice of one appetizer:
Gamberi cocktail
Mozzarella in Carrozza
Jamaica's viagra

choice of one of the following:
Zuppa del Giorna
Mista

choice of one entree:
Lasagna Rastafari
Jerk Spaghetti
Chicken Parmigiano
Fresh fish of the day

choice of one dessert:
cheese cake
tiramisu
Jamaican Bobsled pie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLgator View Post
Well, at least I know that I am not the only one...I was beginning to think she had something against me. Yeah, $13/fan is ridiculous...definitely bring your own, we are. What bugs me about her packages are that they are for 10 guests, but these guests include the bride and groom. We will have near 40 people, so having to pay per head after 10 is adding up quickly. It seems overkill to charge $20 per guest for just a plastic chair with cover and sash for 15 minutes(maybe I am just cheap). Did you find the same thing to be true?

This is the menu we decided on, but we will probably eliminate the appetizers OR the soup and salad. It just all seems like a lot of food for lunch. We both don't like cake and icing, but love cheesecake. So instead of a wedding cake we will allow our guests to pick their dessert.

choice of one appetizer:
Gamberi cocktail
Mozzarella in Carrozza
Jamaica's viagra

choice of one of the following:
Zuppa del Giorna
Mista

choice of one entree:
Lasagna Rastafari
Jerk Spaghetti
Chicken Parmigiano
Fresh fish of the day

choice of one dessert:
cheese cake
tiramisu
Jamaican Bobsled pie

Yeah we are having the same issue. The price she quoted us for everyone after 10 is $25 and we are having between 40-50 people, hopefully no more than that because it does add up and we have to pay for everyone to get there too. Almarie quoted us $15 per person for transportation. LUCKILY I found Lee's. They are charging us $7 per person.

Your menu is pretty much like ours. We are doing two appetizers (conch & mozzarella) and one salad (mista) and then 3 entrees (chicken parmigano, jerk spaghetti, and fettucinni alfredo caribe) and then wedding cake.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  


  • Best Destination Wedding Sponsors



    Facebook Pinterest Google+ Twitter
  • Posts

    • Hi all! I know this is an old thread... but just in case there are other destination wedding brides out there with the same question, I thought I would answer! My guy and I live in Texas and just got our marriage license (yay!). We are getting married in Playa del Carmen, Mexico. The Dallas County clerk informed us that we can get our marriage license in Texas, bring it and a Texas-registered officiant to Mexico, have the ceremony in Mexico, then bring the marriage license back to Texas to file and it will be LEGAL in the US.  In  other words, we can legally get married in Mexico using our Texas marriage license and officiant (who is a family friend), then file the paperwork when we get home. Where it says 'county in which ceremony was performed' on the license, we just put in Playa del Carmen, Mexico and bam! Married :) I do not know if this is true for other states, but it is CONFIRMED for Texas! I suggest asking the clerk when you register for your marriage license. I am overjoyed that we can have a US-legal marriage in Mexico so our wedding date on our license will be the actual day! NO blood tests, or getting married before or after the trip required!  
    • Every Bride spends a lot of time researching and worrying about her perfect wedding dress. While many Indian brides choose the traditional red colour for their bridal gown, a few of them find some different colours to wear on their special day. Here is a description of how to choose an Indian wedding dress that suits your skin tone. 1) Fair complexion: You can choose any shade of blue or bright shades of pink and red. In the shades of blue- select scuba blue or royal blue. Among other colours this season, you can pick up your dress in tangerine.   2) Wheatish complexion Just select those colours which bring out the warmth in your complexion. Some of the best options for you are tangy orange, saffron yellow, vibrant shades of red, mint green and hot pink.   3) Dusky complexion: If you have an olive skin tone, then you can pull off any rich and dark colour quite well. So, the colours like classic blue, marsala, burnt orange and brick red are just perfect for you. Also the metallic silver, gold and bronze will even flatter your face pretty well
    • I will be using the hPage Website Builder to create a free website for our wedding. I am planning to post wedding updates, wedding photos, wedding reminders, and wedding articles regarding our upcoming marriage there. For RSVP, I am using Facebook events since almost all we invited have facebook and it would be easier to get their "yes" or "no" confirmation there. In case anyone is interested as well here's their site: hPage Website Builder - https://www.hpage.com
    • Minimalist wedding bands look so classy and timeless regardless of the venue.
    • It's hard to estimate. Some receptions don't need much decorating because it's already beautiful. Some receptions need lots of decorating. Some receptions also come with extra decorating equipment already.
  • Topics

×