#11 *Heather*

*Heather*

VIP Member

• VIP Member
  • 9,532 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 01:31 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by joshfrommontreal
    The "food only available..." thread got me thinking about other things that are different based on location.

So I ask you this: what are some local sayings or pronunciations or language quirks from where you are from?

I'll start with two from Montreal:

-Instead of saying terrace people say "tare-ass" (tare pronounced like care")

-Any combo at a fast-food restaurant is called a trio, not combo. For some reason this bugs me!

Ummm...how else do you say Terrace? Is there another way to pronounce it

The biggest ones, being Canadian, are "eh?" and of course the way we say "OUT" and "ABOUT" and "HOUSE" (more like owt, abowt, and howse)

#12 *Casey*

*Casey*
    • 5,209 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 01:55 PM

I still get crap from my coworkers whenever I let a "YALL" (TX slang for "you all") slip out.

#13 aimee!

aimee!
      • 696 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 02:00 PM

haha :) i'm from the U.P. [michigan] and living in southern wisconsin.

the "yooper" accent is very similar to canada. and i always seem to get made fun of for the way i say milk- like "malk" i guess. :)
        Wedding & TTD Slideshow (by Sascha Gluck)

#14 DanielleNDerek

DanielleNDerek
        • VIP Member
        • 18,452 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 02:05 PM

I don't know if this is a South philly thing or just my grandmother, but she would always say "keller" instead of "color" it used to drive me crazy when i was little.
          ***Married November 6, 2008***Gavin Born February 28th, 2010***
          Paradisus Palma Real Wedding Review
          Our Professional Wedding Pictures on Snapfish

#15 joshfrommontreal

joshfrommontreal
          • 291 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 02:09 PM

Quote:
            Originally Posted by *Heather*
            Ummm...how else do you say Terrace? Is there another way to pronounce it
            I have always heard/said it as one fluid word. Here they break it down into two distinct syllables with emphasis on the "ass"

#16 *Casey*

*Casey*
            • 5,209 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 02:12 PM

My mom (such a southerner) always says "waRsh" instead of "wash".

#17 trance_angelx0x

trance_angelx0x
              • 198 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 02:54 PM

I'm french but some of my family is completely english and instead of saying thanks to tease me they say "murky buckets" which is a really silly way to literally pronounce merci beaucoup (french for thanks!)

#18 DanielleNDerek

DanielleNDerek
                • VIP Member
                • 18,452 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 03:14 PM

This has nothing to do with where i'm from but I always say "renember" instead of "remember" I've done it all my life and i know it's not correct but it never comes out right!
                  ***Married November 6, 2008***Gavin Born February 28th, 2010***
                  Paradisus Palma Real Wedding Review
                  Our Professional Wedding Pictures on Snapfish

#19 Banana11

Banana11
                  • VIP Member
                  • 8,841 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 03:39 PM

My cousin (from CA) always makes fun of my family for saying "pop" instead of "soda". We also say ya or yeah a lot instead of using the word yes.

#20 jajajaja

jajajaja
                    • VIP Member
                    • 9,794 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 03:58 PM

The pop vs soda debacle I hear a lot. Oregonians say pop more often than soda- at least I think.

My grandma says Bat-tree for battery. The first time I heard her say that it took me forever to figure out what the hell she was talking about. She kept saying "go get me a bat-tree" umm...ok??

My mom says warsh- she's lived here her whole life so she has no excuse. Yet she still says Warshington.

And Abbie- in my linguistics class they talked about the PNW having our own dialect as well. Most regions do. But anyways, she talked about words we say differently and I was like "we do? No one else says it like that?" I can't remember her examples now, but there were some!
                      Happily married since 2008

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users