Sign in to follow this  
jmhein

Newbie to this Forum! Wedding at Riu Ocho Rios in Feb 2008

Hi everyone,

I am new here! I am just in the process of booking the Riu Ocho Rios in Jamaica for my wedding! It's tentatively set for February 6, 2008, which is pretty exciting! I would love to hear from anyone who's had a Riu wedding or been to this resort!

Oh! My name is Janelle!

Hey Janelle (and fellow Albertan!),

I don't have any advice for that resort, sorry... but I just wanted to welcome you to the forum! What made you choose Feb. 6? Wahooo - less than a year to go!!

welcome4.gif

I also just want to welcome you....I'm honeymooning at Riu Ocho Rios but never been before. It looks like a beautiful spot for a wedding!!

Welcome Janelle, I am honeymooning next year in Ocho Rios. I was planning for Sandals but recently started looking at the RIU and Couples. Let us know if you need anything

Hello and welcome. I am also a newbie. I by no means want to scare you but please check out Reviews of vacations, hotels, resorts, vacation and travel packages - TripAdvisor and read some of the posts there about that resort particulary the wedding reviews. You may have to search the forum. Most of the reviews are great but there is one bride that just returned last month who I have been personally emailing and her story is pretty bad. I don't think she'll mind if I give you her email address. I can ask her if you'd like. It just totally scared me since I too was planning a wedding at that location. Plus, the wedding coordinator, Chandlyn, seems very hard to reach. Apparently there are numerous weddings throughout the day and she is very busy. Have you started planning yet? I would love to hear your thoughts about how it is going and if you contacted Laura in Mexico yet. I was told she was the main coordinator for all the RIU resorts and you had to contact her first for information before getting together with Chandlyn. Is the RIU resort the one in Ocho Rios?? I forgot there are at least 2 others in Jamaica but I'm sure they are handled the same way.

I think I am getting married in Mexico. I've gotten very quick answers to all my questions. I like to have things planned and ready before I get there. Jamaiican time is a whole different mindset. I am going to Negril in April for vacation so I will at least have a feel for the island. I can't wait!! Didn't mean to scare you but be careful esp if you are not getting all your questions answered in a timely fashion.

Welcome! I'm not getting married in Ocho Rios, but I've been there on a cruise. It doesn't really count for anything at all, but at least I've been there! Happy planning!

I've been there 2 months after they opened the resort up (last year)... we loved it! It was really beautiful, lots of marble, the rooms were geourgous - we were upgraded to the junior suite - again all marble, with a living area. The food I must admit was Okay, but then again it was a brand new resort, maybe they got better. The beach was nice, they had a lot of new palm trees growing. I would recommend staying on the left side of the hotel facing the ocean - its less congested with resturants, and much quieter, plus closer to the beach. The right side is next to the Sandals - which looks old. One thing to wacth out for -- DO NOT DRINK THE BEER IN THE BROWN BOTTLE - I think I already said this in a different posting but just in case. The beer is in your mini fridge in the room and is unpaturized my FI drank it and got really sick and had to have 4 IV's... ruined our trip.

But all in all its a Beautiful resort!