Photo

Hurricanes in Cabo....

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 KAMAY11

KAMAY11
  • 456 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 10:34 AM

Okay...can someone please tell me how often hurricanes hit Cabo?? One of my guests is freaking out that we're going to Mexico during hurricane season. (wedding is Oct.) From my understanding, it is not THAT common but I just wanted to know if this is something i should worry about.
    D & K
    October 16th, 2008-Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas

http://tickers.Ticke....7276/event.png

#2 *Lo*

*Lo*
    • 2,993 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 10:39 AM

I think they are more rare than say hurricanes that go through Cancun. I can recall one significant one in the last little while (last few years) that went across Mexico and Cabo experienced some of it....although not to the extent that the Gulf coast faces.

October is the end of hurricane season though...so not saying it couldn't happen but it is safer than other places.

I went to Cancun at the end of August in 05. I was there during Hurricane Katrina, and although we spent most of the trip glued to the tv, the weather was sunny and hot everyday in Cancun, and that is just on the other side of the water.

#3 KAMAY11

KAMAY11
      • 456 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 11:42 AM

Nothing right now....
        I read online that the last hurricane was in 2001.
        I am going to be watching the weather channel obsessively now!

D & K

#4 *Heather*

*Heather*

VIP Member

• VIP Member
        • 9,532 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 11:52 AM

I don't think Cabo is ever really directly hit by a hurricane, but sometimes it might get some of the rain effects. The "rainy season" ends in mid-oct so you (and me!) are right on the tail end. I was in Cabo the last week of October in 2007 and it was SUPER hot and gorgeous and sunny every day!

#5 Christi

Christi
          • 1,905 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 12:20 PM

We were in Cabo (Dreams) two years ago at the end of August and we were evacuated due to a hurricane that was supposed to hit Cabo...well, we were evacuated to La Paz and that is where the hurricane actually landed...it caused a bit of damage, but mostly just rainy with high winds...it was actually pretty cool to watch...I think October is the tail end of hurricane season, so you should be safe...

#6 KAMAY11

KAMAY11
            • 456 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 12:45 PM

I work with a guy who is going to Cabo a day after us....he says him & his wife go every year at this time and he's never had a problem with weather...
              I guess we just have to look at it that if there is a hurricane, we'll definitely have a wedding no one will forget! Lol.
              D & K

#7 lgarner83

lgarner83
              • 530 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 03:20 PM

I'm a little worried too but apparently a direct hit in Cabo is very rare and even though it is the rainy season the showers are short and welcomed to cool things off just right! I'm getting married at RIU Santa Fe on Sept 25 of 2009 so I'll be right there with you following the weather!

#8 Jerome Dieu

Jerome Dieu
                • Vendor
                • 105 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 06:50 PM

hi! the weather in cabo is great right now :), don't worry too much about it!
                  Jerome Dieu
                  Wedding Photographer

Tel (from USA & Canada): 1 (925) 465 6146
                  Local Phone (Los Cabos): 104 3643www.mangoweddings.netcontact@mangoweddings

#9 kerryjbrown

kerryjbrown
                  • 672 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 07:18 PM

I lived in Cabo in 2001-2002. We had a huge hurricane Sept. 27 2001 and it was the first hurricane to directly hit Cabo in 20 years. The problem is that no one really has any way to predict if there will be one as it needs the air and water temperatures to be just right. Praying for the best weather for you!

#10 Kelly C

Kelly C
                    • 2,051 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 08:23 PM

Kaylee, I was there last year a t the same time and we were praying for a cloud. That's one reason we picked Cabo. If they get anything its a tropical depression which is rain and high winds. I'm not to worried about it.
                      Kerrington Danielle was born 6/23/09 12:31 pm 7lbs 14oz.

http://i295.photobuc....e/IMG_9487.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users