Steamboat Springs, Colorado- Lodging?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Martha

Martha
  • VIP Member
  • 3,906 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 11:21 AM

Jay and I are planning a trip next winter.

Looks like Steamboat is going to be our best option. Neither one of us has ever skied before so we are super excited about this trip....even though it is more than a year away. ha!

I have been looking at hotels and condos and it looks like the Sheraton is going to be our best option, but I wanted opinions of those that have actually been there.

We are looking for a place close to all the action but also a place that is a little romantic (not sure if Sheraton can offer the second).

Anyone?

Also....if someone wants to recommend a different location other than Steamboat, go for it! This is not set in stone yet!

Thanks!

#2 Birdie07

Birdie07
    • 1,218 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 11:30 AM

I've never been there. But my DH just said it's a really ritzy place. But I can ask around to see what other people's recomendations are. Are you just looking for a place to ski? Or did you want other things too?

#3 Martha

Martha
      • VIP Member
      • 3,906 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 12:03 PM

Well, skiing and snowboarding....that's it. Not in to anything else.

I figured Aspen would be "ritzy." That would be great if you could ask around, thanks! :)

#4 futureeilen

futureeilen
        • 63 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 04:19 PM

JustMartha -

I went to Steamboat as a "beginner" skiier a few years ago - it was great! Lots of beginner and intermediate terrain. It's a nice little town, too. We stayed in a condo there, which would probably be more romantic than the Sheraton. :) Have you looked at this website for Steamboat lodging? Steamboat Hotels and Lodging - Search For All Steamboat Hotel and Lodging Options for Steamboat Springs, Colorado
          I prefer staying in condos vs hotels, because condos offer more space and a full kitchen (usually), so you're not dependent on restaurants for all meals.

I would also recommend Breckenridge. It's a great skiing mountain and one of my favorite mountain towns. Lots of restaurants, shops, etc. It also has condos, hotels, and B&Bs, for lodging, depending on your budget and desired location. The website for Breck will have lodging options: Breckenridge Ski Resort :: Perfect Mountain. Perfect Mountain Town.

Would you be flying into Denver and then driving? If so, be prepared for a semi-long drive to Steamboat...especially if it's bad weather. It's about 3 hours in GOOD weather from downtown Denver. I think you can also fly into Steamboat, or at least near it, but I've never done that... Breckenridge is about 1.5 hours from Denver.

Have a great time! It would be hard to choose a "bad" skiing spot in Colorado.
          Anaiah

#5 Martha

Martha
          • VIP Member
          • 3,906 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 04:50 PM

Quote:
            Originally Posted by futureeilen
            JustMartha -

I went to Steamboat as a "beginner" skiier a few years ago - it was great! Lots of beginner and intermediate terrain. It's a nice little town, too. We stayed in a condo there, which would probably be more romantic than the Sheraton. :) Have you looked at this website for Steamboat lodging? Steamboat Hotels and Lodging - Search For All Steamboat Hotel and Lodging Options for Steamboat Springs, Colorado
            I prefer staying in condos vs hotels, because condos offer more space and a full kitchen (usually), so you're not dependent on restaurants for all meals.

I would also recommend Breckenridge. It's a great skiing mountain and one of my favorite mountain towns. Lots of restaurants, shops, etc. It also has condos, hotels, and B&Bs, for lodging, depending on your budget and desired location. The website for Breck will have lodging options: Breckenridge Ski Resort :: Perfect Mountain. Perfect Mountain Town.

Would you be flying into Denver and then driving? If so, be prepared for a semi-long drive to Steamboat...especially if it's bad weather. It's about 3 hours in GOOD weather from downtown Denver. I think you can also fly into Steamboat, or at least near it, but I've never done that... Breckenridge is about 1.5 hours from Denver.

Have a great time! It would be hard to choose a "bad" skiing spot in Colorado.
            Thanks for all this! The reason we wanted a hotel and not a condo is because I don't like to cook on vacation. :) Actually I don't like to cook at all. ha!

Yes, I have been to the Steamboat website. I found some other places that might be options for us.

I have never heard of Breckenridge....I will check out that other site. Thanks!

We would probably have to fly in to Denver. I know there is another smaller airport near Springboat, but I think it is like a county airort or something.

I think the website says Springboat is about 157 miles from the Denver airport...I didn't even think about the snow or ice! eek. That would be a long drive!

Thank you so much for your help!

#6 Kat81

Kat81
            • VIP Member
            • 7,615 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 06:13 PM

I have never been to steamboat but I go to Tahoe a lot. It is amazing there. Sorry, I am not much help. I am interested in what people have to say though.

#7 futureeilen

futureeilen
              • 63 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 06:21 PM

Quote:
                Originally Posted by Just Martha
                Thanks for all this! The reason we wanted a hotel and not a condo is because I don't like to cook on vacation. :) Actually I don't like to cook at all. ha!

Thank you so much for your help!
                Too funny! We are just the opposite on ski vacations - we love to go to the local grocery store and pick up food to cook in our condo for breakfast/dinner (lunch on mountain, usually). I've heard good things about Beaver Run Resort in Breck, but I've never stayed there. They have everything from hotel rooms to 2BR suites. It's also ski in/ski out, which is great. Beaver Run Resort

Good luck! I'm sure you'll have a great time no matter what. Are you planning to take ski lessons?
                Anaiah

#8 Birdie07

Birdie07
                • 1,218 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 06:37 PM

I also thought of Wolf Creek and Durango has skiiing too. And lots of places to stay. And such yummy food (lots of restaurants)!!! Plus Durango has an airport! Don't forget if you fly to Denver you have to drive to wherever you're going. In the snow. You can also fly into Albuquerque and drive up if you're in SW CO. Are you bringing Noah or will it just be you 2?

#9 Martha

Martha
                  • VIP Member
                  • 3,906 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 08:55 PM

Quote:
                    Originally Posted by futureeilen
                    Too funny! We are just the opposite on ski vacations - we love to go to the local grocery store and pick up food to cook in our condo for breakfast/dinner (lunch on mountain, usually). I've heard good things about Beaver Run Resort in Breck, but I've never stayed there. They have everything from hotel rooms to 2BR suites. It's also ski in/ski out, which is great.
                    I also thought of Wolf Creek and Durango has skiiing too. And lots of places to stay. And such yummy food (lots of restaurants)!!! Plus Durango has an airport! Don't forget if you fly to Denver you have to drive to wherever you're going. In the snow. You can also fly into Albuquerque and drive up if you're in SW CO. Are you bringing Noah or will it just be you 2?
                    Thanks for the info!
                    It will just be Jay and I...my parents will watch Noah. He will be about 13 months by then, so I think we (I) will be okay leaving him for 4 days or so. I think. I may change my mind about that!
                    But, my parents may wanna come, so if they do, then he will come with us. My parents wont ski so they will watch him while we are out. I may like this idea better!

#10 Martha

Martha
                    • VIP Member
                    • 3,906 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 04:15 PM

Bumping for the day crew! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users