Photo

cup cakes instead of cake?

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#11 Lizzy

Lizzy
  • 501 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 11:20 AM

'Morning! Maggie is looking anywhere from PDC to Tulum. They are going to do a scouting trip on the 19th of April. She is hoping to have an off-site wedding and reception, so right now it's hard to say. Even though it will be a drive, we could pick them up almost anywhere. $135 sounds like a huge amount for delivery! But then, like all of you, we have never done this b4.

Lizzy
    For the dance, at the reception, Maggie wore her crinoline and a lovely lace top. Looks like Tadd likes it!

Professional Photography by Michael B.www.michaelbstudio.comMinneapolis, MN

#12 happyone

happyone
    • 223 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 03:44 AM

Ok, I am taking this thread as my cupcake crisis thread. I need advice. The manager Armando at my hotel, the Cabo Surf Hotel, has been absolutely wonderful to work with. However, I am not keen on their cake options and the reviews I have seen on their cake. I am a food snob and I refuse to pay for a crappy cake. I originally decided I wouldn't have a cake (after the "what I would and wouldn't do again thread") but then, decided that cupcakes would be perfect. Even if you are inebriated and stuffed, one always has room for a cupcake. I also saw the cute square tier stands that looked like a cake stand but for cupcakes that I just had to have. Anyway, Jennifer Hatton quoted me at $6 a cupcake for delicious strawberry french cream filled cupcakes with white chocolate frosting (topped with fresh strawberries). Not a bad price for delicious top-notch cupcakes. Well I remember Armando sending me something saying that I couldn't use an outside baker. He wants $6.25 + tax and tip for what I imagine are not nearly as good cupcakes as a professional bakery.

Question: Can I nicely ask to have Jen H. do my cupcakes? If he says no, should I ban the cake/cupcakes all together? I could do the cupcakes at my welcome dinner (no cake or anything at wedding) or I could put them in gift boxes for people to take with them after the wedding (can he ban that?). I refuse to pay $6.25 for mediocre cupcakes when I can find delicious cupcakes in San Diego for $4.00 a pop. Sorry so long...

-Laura

#13 ErinB

ErinB

VIP Member

• VIP Member
      • 9,504 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 10:58 AM

I would ask the resort nicely. If nothing else, lie and say your FMIL already made arrangements with the baker as a surprise for your wedding. You can also aske if there is an outside vendor fee or if the resort would acept some kind of gratuity for serving the cupcakes.

#14 MarieSam

MarieSam
        • VIP Member
        • 2,336 posts
          • LocationSouthern California

Posted 01 May 2008 - 11:23 AM

Quote:
          Originally Posted by Lizzy
          'Morning! Maggie is looking anywhere from PDC to Tulum. They are going to do a scouting trip on the 19th of April. She is hoping to have an off-site wedding and reception, so right now it's hard to say. Even though it will be a drive, we could pick them up almost anywhere. $135 sounds like a huge amount for delivery! But then, like all of you, we have never done this b4.

Lizzy
          Hi ~ I am actually planning to have a non-resort wedding in Akumal, which is about 15 minutes from Tulum. My caterer, Jen, is not only preparing a buffet dinner for us, she is also providing the cake/cupcakes through their bakery ~ Turtle Bay Cafe - which I've heard is pretty well known and highly recommended in the area. So that might be an option.

Yesterday I emailed her about possibly making us a small cake for photo and cutting purposes but then serving a bunch of cupcakes to guests and she said she'd happily do so. The quote was $3.00 per cupcake and she provided me with this sample pic of her work, which I think looks amazing with all the chocolate cupcakes so beautifully decorated. For mine, I think I'll be having her prepare a mixture of flavors - yellow, chocolate, etc. so there's something for everyone!

You can also check out their web site at turtlebaycafe.com for other photos of cakes. I read only good reviews and so far are reasonably priced!!! But me and FI are making a site visit in June to make sure it's what we're looking and hoping for =)

Click the image to open in full size.

#15 MarieSam

MarieSam
          • VIP Member
          • 2,336 posts
            • LocationSouthern California

Posted 01 May 2008 - 11:30 AM

oops just noticed i responded to a post more than a year old ~ that wedding already past

hahah, guess my advice wouldn't help. hehehe I need a serious nap......

#16 frazali

frazali
            • 245 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 04:40 PM

one of my girlfriends had cupcakes instead of a cake and it was great. The baker arranged them in a pyramid and there was enough for people to have more than 1. I love the idea.

#17 Sandra E.

Sandra E.
              • 2,183 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 11:33 AM

A friend of mine did this for her wedding and I loved the idea.

#18 Jacqueline

Jacqueline
                • VIP Member
                • 3,160 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 12:16 PM

This is actually a VERY cute a different idea. I love it!

#19 Jess

Jess
                  • 4,455 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 05:35 PM

I'm bringing this thread back to life because I love this idea - but there really are not a lot of pictures out there online- can anyone post ones they have?

#20 soon2bePowers

soon2bePowers
                    • 382 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 06:33 PM

We have a GREAT cupcake bar in St. Louis. Currently they deliver in the continental US but would maybe be willing to ship a large enough order to Mexico.

Here is there site: Home

They are YUMMY! I am actually eating one right now!!

I love the idea of doing cupcakes instead of a cake!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users