Photo

TTD- Better in morning or afternoon?

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 ccarmany23

ccarmany23
  • 138 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 04:04 PM

What time of day did you do your TTD pictures- morning or late afternoon (around 5). What time would you recommend and what are the advantages/disadvantages that you saw with that time of day?
    Besides sleeping in, I am not sure what the advantages would be to doing it later around 5
    Thanks for the help!

#2 Simistar

Simistar
    • 645 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 04:10 PM

I was wondering the same thing:-)

(MAYBE early in the morning or evening there would be fewer people around...? As for lighting, not sure what would be better...)

Anyone? :-)

#3 adias.angel

adias.angel
      • 719 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 04:12 PM

I read that the morning is amazing for lighting and making the ocean look very blue. Hope that helps.

#4 KatyKo

KatyKo
        • 851 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 04:13 PM

I was just wondering the same thing...

One thing I have liked from some girls' sessions is the kind of wild hair look...like they took their wedding hair down and had fun on their wedding night and then got up to take the pics and didn't necessarily fix their hair again...wow, that was a ramble...:)

#5 tvt

tvt
          • VIP Member
          • 4,812 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 05:05 PM

we're doing ours in the AM because our photog said that will be better light. plus there will be less people out.

#6 SunBride

SunBride
            • 1,499 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 05:08 PM

Quote:
              Originally Posted by FutureMrsRust
              I was just wondering the same thing...

One thing I have liked from some girls' sessions is the kind of wild hair look...like they took their wedding hair down and had fun on their wedding night and then got up to take the pics and didn't necessarily fix their hair again...wow, that was a ramble...:)
              haha, good in theory, but in my case that didn't work! since I had an updo, and lots of hairspray to keep it in place, once I took out all the bobby pins it was a disaster. so I had to wash it, dry it and curl it. But the humidity and then the water destroyed it pretty fast.

we did ours in the morning for the lighting and to avoid crowds. But I think in terms of lighting it's only good at sunrise. No way was I getting up that early teh day after my wedding (we were leaving the next day so had to be that day) so we aimed for 8am. I don't think 8am lighting is much different than later in the day. I could be mistaken though.

#7 Davematthews16

Davematthews16
              • Banned
              • 1,051 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 05:13 PM

I've heard it's best to do it first thing in the morning! It's the best sunlight. We're doing ours first thing!

#8 Jeremy_Gilliam

Jeremy_Gilliam
                • 335 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 05:19 PM

They call the first and the last hour of sunlight the golden hour for photography. Very rarely do I have clients that want to take advantage of the morning golden hour, so it is usually late afternoon that we go for. Outside of the golden hours you also have a couple of hours that are pretty good. The main thing is you want the light coming from a certain direction and not directly over head.

#9 becks

becks

VIP

• VIP Member
                  • 4,881 posts
                  • Wedding Date:August 9, 2008
                  • Wedding Location:Riviera Maya
                  • LocationNew York

Posted 28 August 2008 - 06:09 PM

We did early morning. We were actually on the beach at 6:00 AM.

DH hated me, but the photos I've seen are fantastic!!!!

Happily married since 2008

Allurements by Rebecca - Destination Wedding Invitations and more

#10 nathanielthompsonphoto

nathanielthompsonphoto
                  • 1,213 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 04:35 PM

Jeremy's right - first hour or last.

As far as the color of the water, it all depends on which coast you're on.

East Coast - water is blue/turquoise in evening because the sun is setting over land, and the water is "shimmery"/reflective of the light in the morning because the sun is rising over the water - so when you look towards the sun - the color of the water is not blue.

Vice Versa for the west coast.

If the coast faces south or north like some islands, then the color of the water will be both - depending which direction you look. Look at the sun and the water is reflective - look away from the sun the water is blue.

I think the biggest advantage of shooting in the morning is the lack of people - also, for Becks' pictures - her hair "held" overnight, and it still looked good in the morning.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users