To register or not to register for fine china?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#11 Dreams425

• 105 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 12:44 PM

We didn't end up registering for china because we didn't feel we had a need for it, but part of me felt like I should have so here is what our registry consultant recommended....a "hybrid set" it is bone china but a more casual this way we can dress it up with other pieces for special occasions but not worry about using it for everyday use (its the Lennox Tin Can Alley set if you want to check it out at macys). We still ended up registering for a casual ceramic set at Crate and Barrel though as well.

Hope that helps! Good luck.

#12 1elephant

• VIP Member
    • 15,998 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 12:58 PM

we did not. we had no use for it and i wouldn't want to store something that i had no use for. we did, at the last minute, register for nicer everyday dishes, but b/c it was last minute, we only got one set, and subsequently returned it. it was the nambe butterfly collection:
      Click the image to open in full size.

#13 IslamoradaBride

• 459 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 02:06 PM

We are not planning to for several reasons. First of all, we're pretty casual and I can't picture us using it often enough to justify the cost. Second of all, we don't have room to store it. And third of all, one of my aunts has offered us our great-grandmother's set (which I have never seen) so we don't need any anyway! Not sure where we'll put it, but we'll figure something out.

We are planning to register for nicer everyday dishes, glassware, silverware, etc. because we've been using hand-me-downs forever and really need new stuff.

#14 SoontobeMsKniss

• 715 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 02:15 PM

I didn't register for china. We figured we wouldn't use it and my mom has a set of china that I love and will one day get so I couldn't even find anything that matched or comapired to hers. It's totally a personal choice though.

#15 can't wait!

can't wait!
          • 517 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 07:15 PM

I looove to cook and my FH loooooves to entertain so we often have people over at our house. I definitely registered for china and told my mom and sis to spread the word that china is what I really want. If I had a set I would inherit one day, then I wouldn't bother with it, but neither my mom or fmil have one so I wanted one of my own. I do see ourselves using it more than once a year and I would love to one day hand it down to my daughters.

#16 JennyK

• 3,502 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 07:31 PM

My FI's mom bought fine china many years ago before he even had a girlfriend for when he got married. I'm not crazy about the pattern but when do we seriously use it? So I opted out of getting a new setting for the sake of getting it.

#17 jenluvsmike

• 32 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 04:23 PM

We registered for a set from Royal Doulton. We're definitely not fancy people, but I'd use it on special occasions and for entertaining. My mom always had a set, and used to tell me to start picking out a pattern when I was younger. I think it is a more traditional thing to register for, and maybe a little old-fashioned, but I certainly love the idea of having something nice to use, even if just for a dinner for 2!
                My FMIL and her future husband, just bought us 6 place settings as an early wedding gift - they wanted to get us something before everything had run out! The Bay called me to tell me I had a couple items to pick up, and when I got there, they wheeled out 6 boxes of Royal Doulton!!! I was completely shocked! I just can't wait to use them!!!!

#18 Erica053009

• 513 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 04:28 PM

I did reg for china I felt it was one of those things that you would never buy yourself and will mean more in the future my mom still talks about her china she got at her shower and how she still loves it, we may eat off it once a year but it makes her smile

#19 chickadee024

• 140 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 09:24 AM

I registered for china as well. I'm generally non-traditional, but I couldn't resist having pretty dishes for entertaining and for myself whenever I feel like it. I registered for the Noritake Cobalt Blue and Platinum pattern - gorgeous!

I say go for it.

#20 bumbles

• 574 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 11:35 AM

Thanks for all of your input. We found a pattern that we really like so we went ahead and registered :) Bed Bath & Beyond Product

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users