Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
divadivine25

Chocolate Brides: Hair Question

Recommended Posts

Omg I'm so happy found this thread and so happy I read your post! I thought I had my hair dilema worked out until I read this lol! I was going to get a sew in weave and leave some hair out since I wanted an up do. I have very course and kinky hair and haven't had a relaxer in 3 years so I was going to do the brazilian blow out so the hair I would leave out would be straight. I had no clue you couldn't go swimming or it would strip your hair, so glad I found this out or I would have seriously damaged my hair!
smile36.gif
 

Originally Posted by maridr2012 View Post

All:  I'm not black, I'm Dominican but don't have that "good" hair by any means. My hair is coarse, kinky, and very curly..I have to majorly load alot of products to keep it in check when it's not blown out straight which I try to get done 1x weekly at a Domincan salon. And yes...Dominicans can do a blow-out like nobody's business!  Anyway, I'm getting married in Punta Cana and have been struggling with what to do with my hair for the big day. I get Brazilian keratins done every 4 months which is far less damage than relaxer and it keeps your hair silky smooth and straight and greatly reduces frizziness, especially around the edges.  BUT going in the ocean salt water or chlorine pool will strip it out immediately. My hairdresser suggested to me to not do a keratin touch up before the wedding since it'll strip out in ocean/pool, and clearly I'm not going to forbid myself from taking a dip for 2 weeks while I'm there!  She suggested I go to a local salon outside the resort and get a blow out which shouldn't be more than $20  (much cheaper than the resort salon blowout fee $65), and since it's in DR I already know the outside salon will do a good job. Ask the stylist to wrap my hair in a doobie to keep it straight, sleep on it with a silk scarf, and the next day for the wedding have the resort stylist curl my hair with a curling iron and do a side pony tail with curls coming out. It's cute, modern, and will keep my top and edges smooth, and I won't need to worry about frizziness in the ponytail since it'll be all curled anyway. I loved the idea!  My hair length is down my back - not super long but enough. So to do this you'll need enough length, but it's a great option. Hope this helps some of you!



 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Your hair was lovely and I absolutely adore your dress. Who was the designer of your gown? On another note I just figured out how to use multiple quotes so next time I want to comment on more than one post I'll do that instead! lol!

 



Originally Posted by AfricanVenus View Post

My wedding was during the hot season for my location, so plan accordingly! My hair was a virgin Indian weave and it seized up like you wouldn't believe! I like my weaves to be on the silky side, but decided for my wedding to go with a weave more in line with my hair's natural texture. It looked TOO real if you can understand me, lol. The weave became big, puffy, and frizzy in that kind of humid Mexican heat. My own hair does that so it was super annoying to pay money to deal with my own type of hair, lol. It was very hard to style as a result. The hotel hairdressser did what she could, but my hair had almost zero movement.

 

I thought it was the type of weave. However, I went to Jamaica in November 2011 for my sister's wedding and used my traditional weave. Jamaica isn't as humid as Mexico, but the weave can still feel limp and lifeless in such conditions. I wet set my hair and the curls came out much better than the pure virgin Indian, but it was hot. If anyone chooses weaves, aim for the store bought versions, rather than the absolutely virgin hair. I don't think they hold up well in heat, but the treated ones do. Just a consideration if you're going that route...

 

For those wondering what my hair looked like on my wedding day, here's a link: http://www.shariann-kofi.auroragphotography.com/



 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@LonaJ: Thank you very much! I didn't feel l was at my absolute best on my day, but I'm glad you enjoyed the photos, lol. My dress was made by Pronovias of Barcelona, Spain. They are one of my favorite design houses, so I had to get one! The original one I wanted was called Enebro, but they discontinued it. I was heartbroken, but I this was 2nd on my list anyway, so it all worked out. I named my dress Lupe, lol. All the best to you in your wedding planning. Feel free to contact me if you need any advice, help, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Ladies, 

 

Sorry if this has been asked before but I am getting married in Turks and Caicos (at the Beaches resort), I stop relaxing my hair three years ago. I am mixed with some seriously thick and looses all control the instance moisture in the air hits. Have any ladies used either the resort stylist or someone outside the resort that it god but not overly expensive. 

 

Thank, 

Cherie

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4772596f-5fae-3f9e.jpg 4772596f-5fc5-7559.jpg 4772596f-5fdc-dcd4.jpg These are my contenders. I plan to try a combo of the first and third style out next week. For the wedding, I plan to get it done the day before I leave.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Your day was absolutely beautiful and your pictures are stunning!

Originally Posted by AfricanVenus View Post

My wedding was during the hot season for my location, so plan accordingly! My hair was a virgin Indian weave and it seized up like you wouldn't believe! I like my weaves to be on the silky side, but decided for my wedding to go with a weave more in line with my hair's natural texture. It looked TOO real if you can understand me, lol. The weave became big, puffy, and frizzy in that kind of humid Mexican heat. My own hair does that so it was super annoying to pay money to deal with my own type of hair, lol. It was very hard to style as a result. The hotel hairdressser did what she could, but my hair had almost zero movement.

 

I thought it was the type of weave. However, I went to Jamaica in November 2011 for my sister's wedding and used my traditional weave. Jamaica isn't as humid as Mexico, but the weave can still feel limp and lifeless in such conditions. I wet set my hair and the curls came out much better than the pure virgin Indian, but it was hot. If anyone chooses weaves, aim for the store bought versions, rather than the absolutely virgin hair. I don't think they hold up well in heat, but the treated ones do. Just a consideration if you're going that route...

 

For those wondering what my hair looked like on my wedding day, here's a link: http://www.shariann-kofi.auroragphotography.com/



 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This thread has been very helpful. I am not doing micros as I had them for our first wedding. I want to do a sew in but I am concerned about the heat ans swimming. I have a new stylist and I go on vacation to the Dominican Republic soon so maybe I will test out a style during the vacation to see how it holds up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally Posted by kks2012 View Post

 

 

Your day was absolutely beautiful and your pictures are stunning!

 

 

Thank you so much. Your photo looks great also!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally Posted by kks2012 View Post

 

4772596f-5fae-3f9e.jpg

4772596f-5fc5-7559.jpg

4772596f-5fdc-dcd4.jpg

These are my contenders. I plan to try a combo of the first and third style out next week. For the wedding, I plan to get it done the day before I leave.

These are all very nice. What did you decide to go with? I have natural hair and I am also looking to find something that will last the entire trip.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally Posted by AfricanVenus View Post

 

@LonaJ: Thank you very much! I didn't feel l was at my absolute best on my day, but I'm glad you enjoyed the photos, lol. My dress was made by Pronovias of Barcelona, Spain. They are one of my favorite design houses, so I had to get one! The original one I wanted was called Enebro, but they discontinued it. I was heartbroken, but I this was 2nd on my list anyway, so it all worked out. I named my dress Lupe, lol. All the best to you in your wedding planning. Feel free to contact me if you need any advice, help, etc.

 

I think you pictures are beautiful! Your hair looked very natural. I wouldn't have known it was a weave if I didn't read this post. I love your Trash the dress session. I would have been terrified to get my weave wet!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  


  • Best Destination Wedding Sponsors



    Facebook Pinterest Google+ Twitter
  • Posts

    • Recent studies indicate that organizations, both large and small, either already have an HRO relationship and plan to expand it, or are considering one in the coming year. The survey, conducted by HfS Research and the London School of Economics, finds that 31% of business already outsource human resources san antonio and are looking to increase outsourced services over the next year. What is the driver for these businesses to outsource human resources? It is no secret that in lean economic times, business owners are pressed to identify expenses within an organization that can be reduced or minimized. Employment overhead (payroll, taxes, workers' compensation insurance, employee benefits, governmental compliance, and other employee-related cost centers) typically comprise the single highest area of expense within a company. More than rent, or facilities operations, or equipment, or compliance, human resources administration and expenses weigh heaviest on the business's bottom line. Streamlined HR Systems HRO firms offer streamlined human resource systems to their clients, significantly minimizing management's time in overseeing daily administrative tasks. Non-productive "paper pushing" can be outsourced to the HR firm, enabling key staff to focus on their core competencies. Processes such as payroll processing, tax filing and compliance, Unemployment Claims administration, workers' compensation management, and employee benefits enrollment and management can all easily and efficiently be outsourced. Cost effective insurance products. Reducing employment risks Government compliance and regulations continue to grow in complexity and scale. From wage and hour issues, to discrimination restrictions, to protected classes of employees and new disability guidelines, employers often walk through a minefield of risk. Without dedicated human resources personnel or legal counsel, it is likely a business will be faced with some form of an employment lawsuit in the coming years which can costs tens-of-thousands of dollars. With close to 100,000 employment claims filed in 2010 (the highest on record!), employers recognize the risk and are turning to Human Resource Outsourcing firms to assist them in managing these risks. Human Resources Outsourcing may not be the solution for every employment need. However, for most employers with less than 200 employees looking to reduce employment expenses and overhead, outsourcing human resources may be exactly what their organization needs. As the economy continues to improve and stabilize, the time will soon come that employers will be refocusing on growth and profitability. It may also entail rehiring staff, restructuring the organization, or simply concentrating on areas that have been left on the side. Certainly, proper employment administration and oversight will be priorities to get back on their feet. However, with the demands of rebuilding, many employers may be unable to spend the necessary time focusing on their staff. Read about one organization that found a different way - through Human Resources Outsourcing. Since joining the San Antonio Human Resources Outsourcing firm, he feels that the day-to-day protection he experiences in the area of employment exposures is immeasurable. Our HRO vendor has become our 'go-to resource.' Without this type of relationship we end up making our own decisions, without proper knowledge of the law, and will ultimately You think you can use common sense, but common sense and the law rarely match! The Director says the benefits of the outsourcing relationship were immediately realized, as the new systems and processes were implemented and functioning within 30-60 days.  
    • As of late 2019, the Gatekeepers Museum no longer hosts wedding events.
    • So thanks to coronavirus, my husband and I have had to make alterations to our wedding. I don’t think I have to put this in, but this isn’t a joke and need we thoughts on this.   We’re planning on having our full, entire wedding inside this bubble (I’m inside it for scale). This is to get complete isolation from the virus and to prevent it from spreading to either of us, or if we have the virus somehow, spreading it to others. Both of will get inside it for the whole day (or at least that’s the plan). We are ok with making small to moderate changes from a typical wedding if it means isolating inside a bubble, but any big changes would mean we probably won’t use the bubble then. Are there any parts in the wedding that would be difficult or downright impossible to do inside this bubble? What are your thoughts on this idea, and what would need to be changed from a traditional wedding?  
    • Sadly no .. its been a year and a half since our wedding and till this day we cannot get a hold of him.  We had a few people reach out to us and the same thing happened to them about a month or 2 after us. 
  • Topics

×
×
  • Create New...