Jump to content

Photo

Grand Sunset Princess Resort


  • Please log in to reply
1772 replies to this topic

#711 gujarwala

gujarwala
  • Newbie
  • 82 posts

    Posted 01 December 2010 - 01:32 PM

    A friend told me they heard on the local radio news this morning that Mexican authorities gave the resort a deadline of noon today to produce some documents (I imagine to demonstrate safety compliance) or the whole resort would be shut down.

     

    Now I don't know if my friend understood correctly (she is intelligent which is why I'm giving it some credibility) but I've been trying to find any word of this online but all news articles in google (on the first several pages at least) related to the incident are dated earlier and therefore I haven't been able to confirm whether this is true.  Even if my friend understood correctly perhaps the radio news was not credible.

     

    Has anyone heard of this?

     

    I was just about to make my final payment today but now would like to wait a few days to try to see if this is true or not, just in case I end up making payment and the resort closes down...



    #712 Margret

    Margret
    • Newbie
    • 57 posts

      Posted 01 December 2010 - 09:40 PM

      Here is the link to what your friend heard:

      http://www.inews880....aspx?ID=1319939

       

      I wonder what happenned.

      I hate this waiting...

       



      #713 gujarwala

      gujarwala
      • Newbie
      • 82 posts

        Posted 02 December 2010 - 09:06 AM



        Originally Posted by Margret 

        Here is the link to what your friend heard:

        http://www.inews880....aspx?ID=1319939

         

        I wonder what happenned.

        I hate this waiting...

         



         Well here's the update:

         

        http://www.630ched.c...aspx?id=1320655

         

        Looks like it did not close but almost did.  Doesn't sound very comforting when you're about to pay over $5k for a wedding a few weeks away, what if I pay it and it closes between now and then and get no refund?  I will ask the coordinator for a few extra days before paying to watch what happens, I think she will be okay with it, or should be at least.



        #714 misshh

        misshh
        • Newbie
        • 16 posts

          Posted 02 December 2010 - 09:28 AM

          I am really torn between resorts as I was thinking of going with the Blue bay Esmeralda because I am worried about going to the Princess( but it seems like such a nice hotel) Has anyone else decided to go with the Esmeralda? Now hereing the news I am leaning even more towards the Esmeralda.  Also the wedding coordiantor just emailed me the other day and are wedding is January 2nd I tried to email here and no response for a while it is frusterating.  Yet Patricia the old wedding coordinator for the Princess that is now at the Blue bay always gets back to me quickly



          #715 mwhite

          mwhite
          • Newbie
          • 19 posts

            Posted 02 December 2010 - 10:26 AM

            Hi all,

            we got an email back yesterday from our Travel Agent saying that Sunwing is not willing to give us our full deposit back (for the Grand Sunset Princess) because the resort is open in full swing. Even though tragedy struck on the Rivieria side they are not considering themselves to be in danger on the sunset side. In good spirits we were offered only $100 back from Sunwing because of the explosion that happened at the resort.

            We have still not heard back from the wedding cordinator as to if we can get our $200 deposit back for the wedding either.

             

            has anyone else had issues with sunwing or the resort in terms of trying to get their deposits back?



            #716 trinamh

            trinamh
            • Newbie
            • 14 posts

              Posted 02 December 2010 - 01:05 PM

              I was moved over to the Blue Bay esmerelda last week - my wedding is on the 8th and I am so relieved that I have.  My guests are relieved as well.  We were originally going to stay at the riviera, then the sunset and they our tour operator wasn't thrilled with keeping us there, so we moved and got money back as we couldn't get the same level of suite.  We will try to upgrade when we get there.  We are working with Sandra - my coordinator that was at the Riviera - I think the whole team went over.  The wedding will cost a bit more, but I think the size of the resort will work better for us and I am so happy not be on pins and needles waiting to hear another report on the news about where we are staying.

               

              good luck to all that stay and those who switch, it was definitley a challenging couple of weeks, but I am confident it will all work out and we are still getting married in an amazing place, sun, sand, friends and family and the one I love!!

               

              T
               

              Originally Posted by misshh View Post

              I am really torn between resorts as I was thinking of going with the Blue bay Esmeralda because I am worried about going to the Princess( but it seems like such a nice hotel) Has anyone else decided to go with the Esmeralda? Now hereing the news I am leaning even more towards the Esmeralda.  Also the wedding coordiantor just emailed me the other day and are wedding is January 2nd I tried to email here and no response for a while it is frusterating.  Yet Patricia the old wedding coordinator for the Princess that is now at the Blue bay always gets back to me quickly





              #717 agirolamo

              agirolamo
              • Newbie
              • 27 posts

                Posted 06 December 2010 - 06:21 AM

                Trinamh, that is great that you were able to switch over. .... Glad that your guests are relieved also.

                 

                Our Wedding is at the GSP in Feb 2011, and Im hoping that everything will be A OK by then. All final payments towards the trip were paid by Dec. 1st, and we ranked in 36 guests out of 46, so 10 dropouts werent so bad.  I wonder what the status is on that resort right now? Open? Closed?

                I am not worried in the least, if they need to re-locate us, then so be it... Im just happy to get married in the hot sun, and leave Canada's snow for a week! lol... Whatever happens happens, as long as my Fiance and I are together, we can take over an obstacles...

                 

                To all those getting married... CONGRATULATIONS!



                #718 gujarwala

                gujarwala
                • Newbie
                • 82 posts

                  Posted 06 December 2010 - 01:20 PM

                  A friend of one of our just got back from the GSP and said all was open, service was great, and overall she had a wonderful time.  That made me feel better.

                   

                  My WC at the resort also told me a Vancouver travel agent is coming on Friday/Saturday to do he own independent inspection of how the resort is now and she was confident to give me her contact info if I wanted to contact her to get an external opinion rather than only going off of what the hotel staff are saying.

                   

                  By now I do feel perfecty fine with the resort and also sent authorization for full payment of our wedding so I told her its OK in that she doesnt have to provide me with the external contact info.



                  #719 pdmosca

                  pdmosca
                  • Newbie
                  • 2 posts

                    Posted 07 December 2010 - 09:06 PM

                    Yes the Sunset and the Riviera are connected.  The entire resort is shaped like a horseshoe so the amenities and restaurants that would've been available to you previously may not now due to the explosion.  I am supposed to be getting married there in March - I'm very uneasy about the whole thing.



                    #720 agirolamo

                    agirolamo
                    • Newbie
                    • 27 posts

                      Posted 08 December 2010 - 06:09 AM

                      Thanks for the update. Im glad to hear the GSP is up n running and service was great. I gaurantee with the media, that hotel has to be on its best behaviour.. lol.

                       

                      My guests have come to realize that there are travelling away from SNOW, so dont matter to them anymore on the 'drama' of the hotel... they're just happy to be travelling with the entire family.

                       

                      Gujarwala - If you do hear anything from that travel agent in vancouver, please post. Id be happy to hear any good news about the GSP resort.  I wonder if GRP (sister hotel) is closed still?? That is where the father of the groom booked with his wife.

                       

                      To any of those who have went there in the past week or so, and have pics to share of the resort.. please post. Thanks in advance...






                      0 user(s) are reading this topic

                      0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users