Grand Sunset Princess Resort

Hi b21fly,

Here's a link to just a few of our photos: http://s1285.photobucket.com/user/bishopn24/library/Wedding%20Photos%20Sneak%20Peak

He took almost 500 photos, so I've only posted about 25 of my favourites.  

We had dinner at La Vaqueria which was fantastic.  We had 2 people who are vegan, gluten & lactose free & they were even able to accommodate their special diet.  I ate at a bunch of other restaurants though and also found they were delicious, what I liked best about this one is that it was a steak dinner which would appeal to most people.   

Beautiful pictures- thank you for sharing!!

I am so happy to hear you liked La Vaqueira as that is where we are planning to have our wedding dinner!  And, we also have a few vegetarians that I have been worried about.  Did you need to tell the wedding coordinator that you would have vegetarians far in advance, and before you arrived at the resort?  

My wedding plan sounds very similar to yours, so I hope you don't mind answering more questions:

• Which wedding package did you go with?  It looks like your entire group has champagne glasses, so I am wondering if you did the princess package that includes the champagne toast?   I am debating between the princess and the infinity package right now...if I go with infinity (primarily due to suggestions found on this forum), I would add a one hour cocktail hour after the ceremony...
  • How long did your ceremony last?
  • During your dinner, was your group separated from other diners in the restaurant?  How were drinks handled during the dinner- did you need to go to a nearby bar, or did they serve you at your tables?
  • When/where did you eat your cake?  
  • Did you give out any favors or extra decorations?
  • Since you were inside for your cocktail reception, how did they set that up?  Did you have any music?

I am getting very excited for my wedding and hearing your review, along with the last few others on this forum, has been really helpful!  

Hi b21fly,

I am so happy to hear you liked La Vaqueira as that is where we are planning to have our wedding dinner!  And, we also have a few vegetarians that I have been worried about.  Did you need to tell the wedding coordinator that you would have vegetarians far in advance, and before you arrived at the resort?  

I had mentioned to Araceli that we had a couple of people with special diets.  We chose the menu for them when we were there.  It was actually easier than I expected given their strict restrictions, so if yours are just vegetarian you won't have any trouble.  We had to cut out all gluten and dairy products as well so it was a bit tricky!

My wedding plan sounds very similar to yours, so I hope you don't mind answering more questions:

• Which wedding package did you go with?  It looks like your entire group has champagne glasses, so I am wondering if you did the princess package that includes the champagne toast?   I am debating between the princess and the infinity package right now...if I go with infinity (primarily due to suggestions found on this forum), I would add a one hour cocktail hour after the ceremony...

We did the infinity package and added the champagne toast afterwards for $8/person.  It was a nice idea and provided some great photos, however, we didn't find the champagne was very good, and I didn't really have time to drink my glass, so it's up to you whether or not it's worth it.  You will likely go for photos right after your ceremony, so if you do a cocktail reception after the ceremony you probably won't get to enjoy it much yourself, but your guests will.  Our guests pretty much just went to the sports bar for drinks while we had photos done, they seemed pretty content with that since the drinks are all free there anyway.  

• How long did your ceremony last?

To be honest, I'm not really sure how long it lasted, everything seemed like a blur.  We went with a symbolic ceremony, with no religious discussion at all.  It didn't seem like it took very long, definitely no more than 30 mins.  

• During your dinner, was your group separated from other diners in the restaurant?  How were drinks handled during the dinner- did you need to go to a nearby bar, or did they serve you at your tables?

I think it will depend on how many people you have.  We had 22 all together, so we had a small area set up in the restaurant, it wasn't a separate room or anything, but it was sort of set apart.  We had 3 rounded booth tables for our guests and a head table for just my husband and I.  Your wedding coordinator will talk to you about how you want to set it up, if there are options depending on the number of guests.  Drinks were ordered through the wait staff and brought to the table.  They were really good about making sure your drinks were full and that you had everything you needed.  

• When/where did you eat your cake?  

We actually didn't do a wedding cake.  We're having a reception at home so we're sort of doing cake there, but it wasn't something that was important enough to us.  There was a delicious brownie for dessert with our dinner and we were satisfied with that.  

• Did you give out any favors or extra decorations?

No.  We just gave out our OOT bags when everyone arrived, which had some cute personalized stuff.  The door hangers were actually pretty popular, and were noticed by other guests at the resort which was kind of neat.  We figured that the background of the ocean (even though we didn't actually get to do that) was enough for decoration for us.  We're pretty simple people so too much decoration would have been too much for us.  We thought about wedding favours, but my husband had been to another destination wedding where they gave out sand dollars, and he brought it home and then we had no idea what to do with it.  It was a neat idea, but not very practical, so we decided to scrap that.  

• Since you were inside for your cocktail reception, how did they set that up?  Did you have any music?

They set it up pretty much the same way they would have set up the beach.  There were some high tables and chairs and the bar at the front.  When you go to the resort, look for the building Ibeza, right beside the sports bar, that's where we ended up having it.  I think you actually have to pay extra to normally have it there, but because it was raining it was the only option.  It was a really nice place, they decorated the chairs and tables with the white cloth just like they would have on the beach.  It worked out well though because it was air conditioned and we had a dance floor so we didn't have to try to dance on the beach. 

We did have music.  We paid for the audio equipment ($560 for 2 hours).  It was so worth it!  We had actually made up a playlist because we thought we would just hook up our Ipod and that would be it, but there was actually a DJ with it.  So he played some of our songs, we made sure he knew which songs we really wanted played, and then he mixed in some of his as well.  So if you go with this, don't worry about making a playlist, just have some songs (if there's specific ones you want played) and he'll play them.  We did this for 2 hours, but could have gone longer, so it may be worth the extra hour depending on the price.  If not, we went to the disco after which was a lot of fun as well!  I would recommend having someone with you be in charge of talking to the DJ and setting up music and speeches- my friend was our MC and it made my life so much easier!  She made sure the DJ knew what songs we wanted and took care of everything so we could have fun.  

I am getting very excited for my wedding and hearing your review, along with the last few others on this forum, has been really helpful!  

Feel free to ask if you have any other questions.  I know how anxious I was before my wedding because there is so much out of your control and unknown, but it really does all come together once you have your meeting.  Your wedding coordinator will take care of everything!  I was so happy with my day!  I hope everything comes together for you and you have an amazing day too!

Thanks for the additional info, Smiles33!  A few more questions for you:

• What time was your ceremony?  And then what time did you schedule your hair and make up appointment for?  Did you feel like you had enough time?
  • Did you have the 'shuttle' pick you up and take you to the ceremony site?

I am glad to hear your group was set apart for the dinner- we will have a group of 20 (including us) so our set up will be similar to yours I would think.

I really like your OOT bag ideas and am thinking about something similar :)

No problem b21fly, glad to help!!  

Thanks for the additional info, Smiles33!  A few more questions for you:

• What time was your ceremony?  And then what time did you schedule your hair and make up appointment for?  Did you feel like you had enough time?

The ceremony was at 4, although we were about 10-15 mins behind, but I wasn't too worried because I knew they couldn't start without me.  My appointment was at 11, along with 5 other people.  I had my hair done, my makeup done and a french manicure and we were done before 2.  That meant I had 2 hours to sit around to do nothing.  Aside from eating lunch, it was actually pretty boring.  Depending on how elaborate your hairstyle is and what all you're having done, you may be able to do it an hour later.  

• Did you have the 'shuttle' pick you up and take you to the ceremony site?

Yes, the wedding planner came and picked up me and my family- there was room for 6 of us.  The groom did not get a shuttle though, and does have to be there half an hour early, so just make sure they factor that into their plans for getting ready.  

I am glad to hear your group was set apart for the dinner- we will have a group of 20 (including us) so our set up will be similar to yours I would think.

She asked us how we wanted to set this up so I'm sure you'll be able to have a say!

I really like your OOT bag ideas and am thinking about something similar :)

I got the door hangers from a friend of mine, but she has a facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/fancyfavoursbylisa

She did a really great job with them, and they were noticed by other people in the resort which was really cool!  

Hi again Smiles33,

A few more questions for you:

• How did you get from the airport to resort?  And did you arrange this travel prior to arriving in Mexico? 
  • How did you pack your wedding dress?
  • Did you do any shopping in Playa Del Carmen?  If so, how were the shops?  Do you by any chance remember seeing maracas?  I would like to buy maracas for the wedding ceremony/reception (based on some very cute ideas from this forum!) and am contemplating between buying online now versus waiting until I get to Mexico...wondering if you shopped and found any for a good price...

Hey ladies, 

Sorry to ask random q's in here, I've been following along with this newest convo (and so helpful!) but just wondered if I could ask you all about the resort photographers, should any of you have any direct pics from them/opinions on them. My fiance and I cannot seem to access their website and I really want to fully examine them before counting them out. I don't think they will be used, but my fiance wants to make sure we consider all options ;)

Much thanks guys!

katie 

b21fly: 

-We booked our trip through sunwing which included a shuttle from the airport to the resort and vise versa on the last day.  I would check to see if its included with your travel package, I think if you booked a package its usually included.  

-On Sunwing, because I was booked as a bride, I was able to take my dress as an addition carry-on.  However, I found this was a huge pain, carrying it around and there wasn't really a special spot for it, so it was probably just as wrinkled as it would be in my luggage.  On the other hand, if they had lost my luggage I would have been devastated without my wedding dress, so it's really what you're comfortable with.  But I would check with your airline to see if you can take your dress as a carry-on or not. 

-We didn't go to Playa Del Carmen.  We thought about it one day, but we were all feeling lazy and enjoying our time in the pool so we didn't end up going.  On the two Thursday nights that we were there they had a marketplace right in the resort which had a lot of great stuff.  I don't remember if they had maracas there or not, but they do have them at the resort store because I brought some home for a friend's daughter.  They aren't cheap though so if you can find them cheaper here I would bring them with you.  

MrsShoreytobe:

We took a chance and used the resort photographer since it was an extra $200 to bring in someone else, and their platinum package allowed us to get copies of all the pictures taken (which turned out to be almost 500).  We absolutely LOVED our photographer.  I think his name was Lillo.  He got some really great shots, had a really good eye for the setting and the lighting and took so many photos we didn't even realize he was taking.  We've gotten so many compliments on our photos since we've been home, I'm so happy with them all.  Here's a link to just a few of ours, about 25.  There's way too many to post them all, but they're some of my favourites.  

http://s1285.photobucket.com/user/bishopn24/library/Wedding%20Photos%20Sneak%20Peak

b21fly,

- Transfers - I booked everyone with USA Transfers.  I have used them for years.  They are easy to work with.

- Dress - Unfortunately we flew Sun Country and they will do nothing for you.  Some airlines will allow you to hang it in First Class, but not SC.  We brought it out in the open.  We lightly rolled it up and put it in a carry-on bag all by itself to take it thru security and then immediately took it out again.  When ready to board, we rolled it back up and brought it on the plane.  It wasn't too bad.  I had it steamed when we were at the resort.

- Maracas - We shopped for them in playa the day b4 the wedding.  Found a place that sold them for $1 usd each.  They have them everywhere in playa.   You can even buy them at the resort, but i think they were something like $5usd.

MrsShoreytobe,

A few pages back i have a link to our photos that were taken by resort photographer.  The one thing i would recommend is plan ahead.  Make a list of all the pics you must have.  We got home with all our pics and now there are pics that we wished we had.  One of the obvious was a full length photo of the two of us.  In all the hustle, it got missed.  Also set up your time to view your photos as soon as you can.  We reserved the end of our vaca to view them, and then felt rushed to pick photos and have photo albums made.  There ended up being a mistake (missing pic) in our books and no time to correct it.