Grand Sunset Princess Resort

AlbertaCarrie - I didn't find any significant difference in the resort from the explosion.  It did seem to be under-capacity for most of the time but got very busy by Christmas Eve.  We were staying on the Princess side so perhaps the Riviera side was under-capacity.  In all I think it being under-capacity is an advantage in that there is more room on the beach and pools, less lineups, etc.

Margaret - that's nice you got a heads up that the gazebo won't be available.  To answer your questions, we brought a photographer with us.  It worked out well because she knew several of the guests and the bride from beforehand.  I was there from the 15th to 25th and out of the 10 days there were probably 2-3 days/nights that weren't optimal temperature.  We were lucky that our wedding day was probably the warmest, but there were a few nights where an outdoor reception may have been a tad chilly.  I do think 4 pm is a bit late for the ceremony.  By 4 the sun is getting down and its not as warm or sunny outside.  We had ours at 2 pm, and I think having it any later than 2 pm would have cut the photo time too short between the ceremony and reception (which started at 6 pm).  Even though we specified a 2pm ceremony it wasn't until closer to 2:30 that we began becasue some guests will be late or will have trouble finding the place, so you need to plan for these things and leave enough time for photos while considering that you want the sun to be high in the sky during pictures.  That's one advantage of bringing your own photographer in that they won't charge hourly so you can keep a sufficient gap between the ceremony and reception without having to pay by the hour.

Hi mwhite,

I`m in the same boat as you in attempting to get out of the deposit fees for our guests due to the change in our plans (we`re going to have the wedding elsewhere)

Can you tell me how tough it was to get Sunwing to reimburse you the $100... I`m being told it`ll be next to impossible but I want to try. We`re a Canadian couple who`s changed our wedding location (or hope to!) due to guest response. I don`t want tell guests that they are out the entire amount for the deposit and would really appreciate any info on what you did to achieve any money back for them. 

I tried to PM you but some weird error message keeps popping up. Sorry if I spammed you a few times with the same message. I can`t tell if it went through!

Thanks tons in advance for any guidance on this. We have 36 confirmed guests and the savings would be worth a fight! 

Starfish

Originally Posted by mwhite View Post

Hi all,

we got an email back yesterday from our Travel Agent saying that Sunwing is not willing to give us our full deposit back (for the Grand Sunset Princess) because the resort is open in full swing. Even though tragedy struck on the Rivieria side they are not considering themselves to be in danger on the sunset side. In good spirits we were offered only $100 back from Sunwing because of the explosion that happened at the resort.

We have still not heard back from the wedding cordinator as to if we can get our $200 deposit back for the wedding either.

has anyone else had issues with sunwing or the resort in terms of trying to get their deposits back?

Hi,

I am new on this site and I just find it's so great!!!

I am going to the grand sunset in next june for my wedding. I have all ready reserved and most of my guests have reserved too. I never talk to any WC there and I was not in a ruch...But I am now realising that time past so fast and I must think about it.

I tried to have informations by e-mailling the hotel tree days ago, but they aren't reponse me yet.

Does any one have the wedding packages for 2011?

Please excuse my english...French is my first langage.

Thank you

Originally Posted by Mookie View Post

Does anyone have the email adress for the new coordinator that replaced Sandra on the Sunset side? I think you guys were mentioning that alejandra is her name, but I need to get a hold of her.

Thanks in advance!

It should be the exact same as Sandra's.  I know this because I was in touch with Sandra and once I got switched to Alejandra and she gave me her email on the phone it was the exact same email address as Sandra used to use.  Might be hard to get a hold of her over email without first being in contact with her on the phone.  I wasn't hearing back on my emails at first until I called and spoke to her, intro'd myself, told her I've been emailing her a few times, explained my sense of urgency, etc. and from there on I'd enter my name and wedding date in the subject and woudl get more prompt replies...although part of it may have been since my wedding was just weeks away lol.

Hi Starfish,

As of yet we have not heard back from the WC or our TA. we are waiting to here back if we can get our 200 wedding deposit back. With sunwing, they were willing to give us (bride and groom) back $100 bucks, since the resort is running as usual. Thankfully none of our invited guests had put down their deposit, so we didn't have to worry about that. sorry that i can't help any more than that. good luck with your fight to get some money back.

I was told by some relatives that if you, or your guests, booked by Credit card you can go through them to see if they will reimburse you the money you lost with Sunwing. I was told AMEX and maybe Visa do this. we haven't tried this route yet.

MWhite