Grand Sunset Princess Resort

Steitzer23,

We gave our guests mugs in their OOT bags from discount mugs as well, and they were great! Remember to confirm that the ones you are ordering don't say "made in china" on them, or they will be confiscated at the border (if you get searched).

Cheers,

Koren

I think that is a really good idea. Our theme is Mint and Gray so, I have designed a little gift box with Mint to be together! with mints and a thank you note... I was thinking on the OOT bags but I don't need to travel with so many luggage, just keeping it simple. I'll take care of all of that in our reception here in Canada after our wedding in Mexico ;)

Hey fellow GSP lovers :) I am writing a "random" post compared to what the train of convo is in here now, but I wanted to update and see if anyone has experienced something like this before!

So hubby to be and I had narrowed places down to Riu Mexio, GSP, and bahia principe coba.

2 wks ago though, we got an email from our travel agent, who was called into an EMERGENCY CONFERENCE CALL (yes, serious! Lol) with all other  private TAs in Canada. I guess major legal changes were happening with airlines and resorts, and they were taking immediate steps to INCREASE TAXES BY 26%....This crazy change was going to take place any day after the phone call.eek.gif

Also, Sunwing is going bankrupt within the next year, and so lots of stuff is going on that is affecting all potential travelers (we were never going to use these guys anyways though).

When I first got the email from my TA about all of this, I immediately asked to call her and we chatted on the phone. Although we were willing to wait to book later in the summer, my TA honestly couldnâ€t guess whether prices would come back down to the 1500 dollar range we needed for guests.

So fiancé and I quickly decided to book, as we HAD RECEIVED QUOTES IN THE 1500 RANGE THAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN GOOD UNTIL JULY 12.

Well, as weekend goes on, we find out the quotes were NOT locked in, and a few days later, they said they couldnâ€t; honour the quote. My TA is a top notch person at what she does, so I know she put up a fight. And NOW, THE TAX INCREASE HAS TAKEN EFFECT, SO ALL PRICES ARE 1700-2000.

And get this – the airlines have taken grand sunset princess OFF THEIR VACATION PACKAGES? So now we may be “forced†into booking on the more expensive Riviera Princess Side…?

Anyways, this wasnâ€t a rant per say as I am actually calm and not worrying because it all has to work out! The great thing is, we are definitely set on booking at this resort, and prices HAVE to somehow come down again. That is what I keep telling myself ;)

With all this said, has anyone been a “victim†of this new change to prices etc?

Once this resort is booked we will definitely rest easier, but hereâ€s hoping that happens soonJ

Originally Posted by MrsShoreytobe View Post

Hey fellow GSP lovers :) I am writing a "random" post compared to what the train of convo is in here now, but I wanted to update and see if anyone has experienced something like this before!

So hubby to be and I had narrowed places down to Riu Mexio, GSP, and bahia principe coba.

2 wks ago though, we got an email from our travel agent, who was called into an EMERGENCY CONFERENCE CALL (yes, serious! Lol) with all other  private TAs in Canada. I guess major legal changes were happening with airlines and resorts, and they were taking immediate steps to INCREASE TAXES BY 26%....This crazy change was going to take place any day after the phone call.eek.gif

Also, Sunwing is going bankrupt within the next year, and so lots of stuff is going on that is affecting all potential travelers (we were never going to use these guys anyways though).

When I first got the email from my TA about all of this, I immediately asked to call her and we chatted on the phone. Although we were willing to wait to book later in the summer, my TA honestly couldnâ€t guess whether prices would come back down to the 1500 dollar range we needed for guests.

So fiancé and I quickly decided to book, as we HAD RECEIVED QUOTES IN THE 1500 RANGE THAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN GOOD UNTIL JULY 12.

Well, as weekend goes on, we find out the quotes were NOT locked in, and a few days later, they said they couldnâ€t; honour the quote. My TA is a top notch person at what she does, so I know she put up a fight. And NOW, THE TAX INCREASE HAS TAKEN EFFECT, SO ALL PRICES ARE 1700-2000.

And get this – the airlines have taken grand sunset princess OFF THEIR VACATION PACKAGES? So now we may be “forced†into booking on the more expensive Riviera Princess Side…?

Anyways, this wasnâ€t a rant per say as I am actually calm and not worrying because it all has to work out! The great thing is, we are definitely set on booking at this resort, and prices HAVE to somehow come down again. That is what I keep telling myself ;)

With all this said, has anyone been a “victim†of this new change to prices etc?

Once this resort is booked we will definitely rest easier, but hereâ€s hoping that happens soonJ

Hey MrsShoreytobe!

We have had a NIGHTMARE trying to get things booked!! I am glad to hear (but not really lol) that we are not the only ones dealing with this!!

Prices this year are redicilous! Its hard to plan a wedding when you don't have a resort!!

We are flying from Halifax in February so its even harder as most charters don't start flying from here until March :(

Good luck with everything and I will let you know if we get any news!

Hi!

It's interesting that you just mentioned sunwing is going bankrupt within the next year as we had MAJOR issues booking with them for our wedding this July.  In February we were told that they were cancelling the flights that we were all booked on and it took a good month before we were all rescheduled again, and that was after an irate phone call from my fiance to their head office.  They also charged our credit cards about 6 months too early and were horrible for our TA to deal with.  We are finally sorted out thank goodness, but what's hilarious is that they offered us future travel vouchers to apologize for the inconvenience!  So, I know how stressful it all is, we were completely booked and had everything planned, deposits paid, and when we found out about the flights being cancelled we thought we had to do it all over again!  I hope it all works out for you, I'm sure anywhere you have your wedding will be beautiful! 

MrsShoreytobe & smiles33 We are actually booking through sunwing for our wedding at the GSP/GRP so, all you guys mentioned is definitely freaking me out. I'll have to contact my TA ASAP.  
Yes definitely. It seems like a trend that these companies will hide this type of thing unless hounded by customers. It's not right for people to be screwed over like this.

Hi!   It's interesting that you just mentioned sunwing is going bankrupt within the next year as we had MAJOR issues booking with them for our wedding this July.  In February we were told that they were cancelling the flights that we were all booked on and it took a good month before we were all rescheduled again, and that was after an irate phone call from my fiance to their head office.  They also charged our credit cards about 6 months too early and were horrible for our TA to deal with.  We are finally sorted out thank goodness, but what's hilarious is that they offered us future travel vouchers to apologize for the inconvenience!  So, I know how stressful it all is, we were completely booked and had everything planned, deposits paid, and when we found out about the flights being cancelled we thought we had to do it all over again!  I hope it all works out for you, I'm sure anywhere you have your wedding will be beautiful! 
I was so happy to hear that things at least ENDED WELL! And hey sometimes those irate phone calls are needed and I would be putting my fiancé up to the task if ever needed lol. I am happy we aren't going with them anyways, but at least some people on here are hopefully benefiting from the info I found out.

Originally Posted by vicfanti View Post

Anyone have any ideas for oot bags!?

Originally Posted by Steitzer23 View Post

ashofswed,

I've been putting some thought into OOT bags. I'm not going bonkers like some brides who spend $50 per bag and fill it with stuff people don't need or want, but I do want to do a mini bag with a few things folks might forget and one signature item.

On discountmugs.com, they sell the knock-off Tervis tumblers. I'm going to order those and then use a friend's cricut machine to put everybody's name on them. Dual purpose: Acts as a name tag so when guests who don't know each other see another guest with a matching cup, they will know they are part of our group, plus, it's a great way to keep either water or your drinks cool while at the pool or beach. :) And, of course, it is something they can take home and use.

I'll probably go to the dollar store and throw some other things in there like chapstick (even if you brought one, who can't use another), a packet of aspirin, etc.

Originally Posted by KorenAnn View Post

Steitzer23,

We gave our guests mugs in their OOT bags from discount mugs as well, and they were great! Remember to confirm that the ones you are ordering don't say "made in china" on them, or they will be confiscated at the border (if you get searched).

Cheers,

Koren

Originally Posted by Steitzer23 View Post

Koren,

Thanks for that heads up. Did you have that problem? It says on discountmugs.com that they have a USA manufacturing and printing plant ...?

Also, I'm curious what else you put in your OOT bags?

Stephenie

Hey ladies! I just had my wedding down here in Mexico, where I happen to live. On multiple trips back home to Canada as well as one trip to the States, I was able to put some nice OOT bags together. Here's what we did for our Welcome Kits and Oh Shit! Kits:

LL

16 oz Tumbler Mug with wedding logo - $3.75ea from DiscountMugs.com

Tote bag with wedding logo - Discount Mugs - $3.60ea from DiscountMugs.com

Notebook - handmade on brother-in-law's letterpress, took a very long time to make 80 of these but totally worth it! Check out our blog post on how we made them: http://loveandrum.com/blog/2013/6/2/weddingpress-handmade-notebooks

Beer coozies with wedding logo and "Drink Up Me Hearties" - $1.10 ea  from DiscountMugs.com

Cooler bag with ziploc liner for leaks (our energy conscience hotel in Tulum didn't have fridges) - $3.70ea

Snack pack with bag of chips, Japones nuts and Winis candies (similar to Starburst) all purchased at Sam's Club in Mexico - $1.50ea

We did one bag per couple and one bag per single guest. For everything from Discount Mugs, I had it all sent to my Dad's place in the States to save on shipping. On a visit to him I grabbed half the stuff and he brought the rest. We both got the "red" light and they looked in our bags, but neither of us had real issues at customs. They just looked through, I kept saying "por nuestras boda!" and smiling and all was fine. I can't speak for what another customs agent might do for someone else though! 

For all you Canadian girls, you can have everything sent to a shipping place near the border and pick it up for much cheaper than the shipping costs to Canada. 

I used round circle stickers and alphabet stickers from Dollar Tree to label all the mugs with everyone's initials, and used hang tags from Staples to label everyone's bags. I tea stained the hang tags and used alphabet stamps from Michael's to personalize the bags for everyone. For the couples I did their first names on the hang tags, like "J & C" or "M & K". For the single guests I did their full initials like "DL" or "NC".

We included a little Welcome Booklet with information about the area, things to do, restaurant recommendations, helpful Spanish phrases, etc. 

A note about the hang tags: The little circle at the top comes off when you tea stain it. I had to glue all mine back on. You can either put some glue ahead of time so they don't fall off, or be ok without having the circle be on the tag once it comes off.

LL

We used paper lunch bags to put our Oh Shit! Kits together. I again used hangtags from Staples and tea stained all of them. I used the alphabet stamps for the "Oh Shit! Kit" part and a potato stamp to make the red cross. I then used a sticker on the back (vintage travel themed) to close the bag and tied them closed with twine, and hung the tag on the twine.

We decided to buy our meds in bulk and divy them up ourselves once we were in Mexico. It saved a TON of money and didn't take that long to do. No one seemed to mind that the ibuprofens weren't in a sealed package. We made a little piece of paper with instructions for the diarrhea relief and ibuprofen. 

Here's the list of contents:

1L Gatorade packs - purchased in Mexico at local grocery store - $0.65ea (1 per person)

Diarrhea relief - Costco in Canada - 168 tablets for $23, gave 2 per person for a cost of $0.30 per person

Ibuprofen - purchased from Costco in Canada - pack of 500 for $10, gave 6 per person for a cost of $0.12 per person

Tums - purchased from Walmart - packs of 3 for $2 which is $0.70 per roll (1 roll per bag)

Aloe Vera purchased from Avon.ca - $1.89ea (1 per bag)

Band Aids - on sale at Shopper's, 320 bandaids for $12, gave 6 per person at a cost of $0.25 per person

Gum - purchased at Sam's Club in Mexico - $0.40ea (1 pack per person)

Oh Shit! Kit cost:

per single person - $4.31

per couple - $6.03

Welcome Kit cost:

per single person - $13.65

per couple - $20.00

Total Cost of Entire Bag:

per single person - $17.96

per couple - $26.03

We had 70 guests total, half couples and half single people. In the end we spent just over $1000 on our Welcome Bags, but I think it was totally worth it. Everyone came from so far and it was the least we could do to show our appreciation for spending their time and money to come celebrate with us.

We received a ton of thank you's from everyone and I think mostly everything was used, especially the Oh Shit! Kits. People kept commenting on how useful and thoughtful everything was, which was nice! We saw lots of people using the tote bags, beer coozies and tumbler mugs. The best thing is that I'm sure people will use some of these things at home, such as the tote bag and the drink tumbler (coffee mug). We chose to not put our name and date on most items so that people would keep them for their everyday lives.

I hope this helps some of you for inspiration! :) Another idea is to hand as many Welcome Kits out before hand as you can. That way you don't have to pack them and people will know what extra things they have to pack!

• Like 1