Grand Sunset Princess Resort

@zev

We used the resort photographer.  They know what they are doing.

@ckl

- Yes, there are some things alacarte.  It's on their website: "http://www.princess-hotels.com/web/en/DOCS_BKLD/docs/WeddServ2009.pdf"

They can do most anything, i'm sure.

- The beach was fine.  You can navigate the rocks.  The vendors are not an issue.  You can move to a section where there are none.

- Chill out is not the only option.  They can setup on the beach.  You can also have indoor reception.  They have large banquet rooms.  

- I have taken outdoor dinner cruise in February.  Take a sweater and it will be no problem.

- I saw others go to the disco after their wedding.  It's really loud so older people may not appreciate it.  The outdoor courtyard bar usually had a live band from like 6pm to 9pm, which would make for a nice intro for the older people.  The bands were usually really good.  Get there early so you can save a bunch of seats.

Riviera Maya Bum,

I am planning an August wedding at GSP. I have a couple questions for you:

Ceremony
-We are doing the symbolic ceremony in the ocean gazebo. I have no clue about planning the details of a ceremony. :) The coordinator said we can say our own vows and they need us to pick 4 songs, but that's my only guidance. How did you plan yours? Did you do programs?

Trip itinerary

-We are taking everyone on a catamaran the day before the wedding, but that's the only activity that we will be paying for. Did you attempt to make a rough itinerary to organize breakfasts with parents, games (or the activities based on what the resort activities are each day) and dinners? If so, how do you figure out how to go about this, having never been to the resort before?

Staying in touch

-How did you stay in touch with guests so they all were invited if a spontaneous volleyball game breaks out in the pool and you think they might want to join? I'm thinking of getting an international plan for my cell so folks can call me from their rooms and I can call their rooms. It's such a huge resort and some folks are staying in suites vs. the junior rooms, so I fear we are going to be spread out and lose touch with some folks.

OOT bags

-Did you do them? If so, did the resort charge a fee to deliver them to the room (I've seen on here that some resorts do that)? And if you did them, might I ask what you included and what your guests found useful?

I'm sorry, these are really mundane questions, but we're at the three-month mark and these things seem to be next on the agenda. I never see much discussion on here about these little but important items.

Thanks!

Stephenie

Hey all! We are now seriously considering the princess (sunset or riviera) resorts for our wedding (eeek!). I am wondering whether you can stay at one of these resorts and have the WEDDING AND RECEPTION at the other.

Both locations seem to have fabulous locations for the ceremony/reception, so I wasn't sure if we could technically use both locations!

Steitzer Perhaps giving people schedules for group events at arrival or in oot bags so they can participate. I would set up private dinners with the involved individuals so people don't feel left out. Both sides share the same amenities so it doesn't matter what side you stay on.

For people who had reception at chilly out lounge - is there enough lighting or do you have to bring additional lanterns or torches. Also - if u have a dance floor - will it fit in the lounge or u have to put it on the sand in front of the lounge? Also does it come decorated or should you bring your own? I'm not sure how I will bring centre pieces down. I just want some flowers inside a vase with floating candles on top and some smaller tealights on the side. I'm worried about finding vases in Mayan as I don't think it would be wise to bring them. They will likely break at arrival.

Yes, I was definitely planning to put together schedules for the OOT bags. I was just wondering exactly how brides went about determining what the schedule for the week would look like, especially without knowing what kind of activities the resort folks are going to put on each day. Do you just sort of wing it and make stuff up?

Originally Posted by Steitzer23 View Post

Yes, I was definitely planning to put together schedules for the OOT bags. I was just wondering exactly how brides went about determining what the schedule for the week would look like, especially without knowing what kind of activities the resort folks are going to put on each day. Do you just sort of wing it and make stuff up?

I can see how many people want to know an apprx agenda for the week. I think at the same time though people want to know they can have the flexibility of going where they want, seeing as it is a vacation for guests in a way too. 

Also, booking things in advance can be pricey and our TA personally recommended waiting to get to the resort for things like this. E.g. a night out in cancun - there are people walking around with party bus services, and this will cost you much less than booking through head office beforehand. ALso, the money goes directly to the people at the resort instead of head office, which is something we are realizing more and more. 

I imagine I'll want to have some ideas for things to do too, so I'll follow along to see what others share!