Grand Sunset Princess Resort

Hi ladies!!

congrats on your weddings!!!

I'm from Vancouver and getting married on April 21 2012 at 3 pm!

we just booked the hotel and paid the $200 deposit for the wedding date. my bff is also getting married at GSP on april 23, 2012.

we are doing a symbolic wedding, and so far have 27 people including us (bride and groom). i'm still trying to compose what i want for the whole day and how it should be planned....

boy am i glad i found this forum....! i just realized that my WC is almost useless, her name is Pilar.

all the specific questions she has ignored. and just sent me whole bunch of forms she wants me to fill out asap.

VancityBride - i'm definitely looking into the florist you've provided info for... still wondering if the outside DJ is a no go...?

Hey End of April Brides:)

Okay so we finalized the time, we're officially (well symbolically I guess) getting married at 5pm.  C thinks Ill be running late anyways, so that will put us at the best time for sunset pictures.  We also booked the crystal room and selected our menus.  I was having such a hard time with this because she wanted us to select only 1 menu option for all sixty people.  I asked her to call me (she's much more responsive on the phone, and has recently been getting back to me right away) and we agreed that I could offer my guests two gala menu option, and one vegetarian option of our choice.  I told Emma I'd be happy to have our name cards (on the tables) colour coded so the wait staff would know who was eating what (ie orange = meat, teal = fish, white= vegetarian).  We'll send out our options to our guests and hope to have the final numbers by the end of January to give to Emma.  She said as long as they had some heads up, it would be okay.

We also decided on the most basic package.  I think its going to be easy to upgrade if we want to, but since I'm going with an outside florist and photographer, and my dress is really simple (so I don't need the de-wrinkling), I think this one best suits us. 

There had been a couple questions about payment.  We have run into multiple issues.  We've been charged 5 times now for the $200 deposit.  They refunded a couple times, but this meant we lost some money each time on currency conversion and interaction fees.  We've told them that any additional charges need to be put aside for our package.  So we've actually almost paid off our entire package.  Apparently the rest of the money is due the day you arrive though.  I would suggest not paying the whole thing ahead of time, as this will give you a better bargaining chip if anything does go wrong.  

Haha, Danielle, I saw the part you wrote about sand getting in your food and I laughed:)  I had exactly the same thought.  Also, and I know everybody has horror stories, but we went to Mexico two years ago and had a nice romantic dinner on the beach.  I realized when I got back to our room that I had been meliciously attacked by sand-fleas.  I had bites evverrywhere!!!! all the way up my leg, and they were sooo  uncomfortable.  I"m worried about that happening to my guests, and the music not carrying if there's wind, and sand in the food and all the other unknowns you have to plan for.  I know the Crystal room isn't exactly traditional Mexican, but at least its a more controlled setting:)

I'm actually a bit worried about the music, I'm not sure my sister has started at all.  I want there to be some Mexican or slower music at dinner, and then have dance music later on... I'll worry about that later on.  A friend of mine didn't do her music untill the night before, so as long as I'm better then that I"m okay... :)

erica

Hello,

Us and our group will be arriving the day of your wedding. Ill have to come try to sneak a peak..heheh 

This forum is amazing, there is so much great information and ppl that you cant talk to that have great ideas and advice. It will definitley help.

I was having troubles with my WC a little while ago, but a bit of a nasty email went along way. They eventually give in to what you want. I mean i was a little upset when they said I couldnt bring an outside DJ in, but I compromised because of all the others things that we worked out. I realized that I am only in the reception for 4 hours so Im not going to stress to much about it.

The florist that I am using was given to me by a gf who used her services last November and she said wonderful things about her. Just send her what your vision is and she will give you a quote, I think that her prices are very reasonable. Def check her out.

How is the rest of your planning coming along?

Originally Posted by Magnolia28 View Post

Hi ladies!!

congrats on your weddings!!!

I'm from Vancouver and getting married on April 21 2012 at 3 pm!

we just booked the hotel and paid the $200 deposit for the wedding date. my bff is also getting married at GSP on april 23, 2012.

we are doing a symbolic wedding, and so far have 27 people including us (bride and groom). i'm still trying to compose what i want for the whole day and how it should be planned....

boy am i glad i found this forum....! i just realized that my WC is almost useless, her name is Pilar.

all the specific questions she has ignored. and just sent me whole bunch of forms she wants me to fill out asap.

VancityBride - i'm definitely looking into the florist you've provided info for... still wondering if the outside DJ is a no go...?

Hello,

I was engaged in January of this year and basically got on it right away. I think I paid my deposit in March sometime and then we booked our deposit in October. Is the hotels April dates all booked up??

Originally Posted by Silvergirl View Post

Hi Magnolia,

Can I ask when you made your reservations? We were really hoping for April dates but they were all sold out when we checked. Just wondering if some may have opened up since then??

Thanks,

Amy

Olaaaaa..

Im glad to hear that you have worked everything out with your times and food. I think its going to be great.

I cant believe what happen with your deposit payments, thats crazy. Where they good about returning the money? I am so confused about what to do with the payments.. I mean I have a decorator, a photographer, a photobooth and then the hotel to pay, I dont want to have to be bringing all this cash, I sure hope they let me use different credit cards. I should probally ask the vendors if the take cash or credit cards just to be safe.

Thats so funny that you thought the same about the outside beach dinner..lol I mean it does look lovely but I just dont want to deal with the what if's. I think were safer inside.

My music is coming along good, I still have a few more songs to add in. I am having the hardest time picking a song for us and our parents to dance too. I dont want to do the traditional father son and daughter father, I want us to do that in one song so we have more time for other events. Do you have any suggestions???? Other than that im just kinda adding songs as I hear or remember them, then I am going to have my sister download them on the ipod and then send Emma the list so she can send it to the DJ.

I cant belive how many ppl are having weddings at the end of April?!! The resort is going to be rocking! I have around 45 guests with  me, you said u have 60 and another bride says she has 27.. its going to be a great party :) Cant wait!! Its coming up fast.

What are you doing for favors? What are you guys doing for your BM and groomsman gifts??

Originally Posted by FranticBride2be View Post

Okay so we finalized the time, we're officially (well symbolically I guess) getting married at 5pm.  C thinks Ill be running late anyways, so that will put us at the best time for sunset pictures.  We also booked the crystal room and selected our menus.  I was having such a hard time with this because she wanted us to select only 1 menu option for all sixty people.  I asked her to call me (she's much more responsive on the phone, and has recently been getting back to me right away) and we agreed that I could offer my guests two gala menu option, and one vegetarian option of our choice.  I told Emma I'd be happy to have our name cards (on the tables) colour coded so the wait staff would know who was eating what (ie orange = meat, teal = fish, white= vegetarian).  We'll send out our options to our guests and hope to have the final numbers by the end of January to give to Emma.  She said as long as they had some heads up, it would be okay.

We also decided on the most basic package.  I think its going to be easy to upgrade if we want to, but since I'm going with an outside florist and photographer, and my dress is really simple (so I don't need the de-wrinkling), I think this one best suits us. 

There had been a couple questions about payment.  We have run into multiple issues.  We've been charged 5 times now for the $200 deposit.  They refunded a couple times, but this meant we lost some money each time on currency conversion and interaction fees.  We've told them that any additional charges need to be put aside for our package.  So we've actually almost paid off our entire package.  Apparently the rest of the money is due the day you arrive though.  I would suggest not paying the whole thing ahead of time, as this will give you a better bargaining chip if anything does go wrong.  

Haha, Danielle, I saw the part you wrote about sand getting in your food and I laughed:)  I had exactly the same thought.  Also, and I know everybody has horror stories, but we went to Mexico two years ago and had a nice romantic dinner on the beach.  I realized when I got back to our room that I had been meliciously attacked by sand-fleas.  I had bites evverrywhere!!!! all the way up my leg, and they were sooo  uncomfortable.  I"m worried about that happening to my guests, and the music not carrying if there's wind, and sand in the food and all the other unknowns you have to plan for.  I know the Crystal room isn't exactly traditional Mexican, but at least its a more controlled setting:)

I'm actually a bit worried about the music, I'm not sure my sister has started at all.  I want there to be some Mexican or slower music at dinner, and then have dance music later on... I'll worry about that later on.  A friend of mine didn't do her music untill the night before, so as long as I'm better then that I"m okay... :)

erica

Hey,

Wow honestly, I can't believe the how many of us Vancouver girls are getting married at the end of April!!

We booked our date back in May.  We got engaged in February and did some looking around to find the right hotel and venue.  We originally selected a hotel in the Dominican Republic, but just as C was entering in his credit card information for the deposit I totally changed my mind and we booked Mexico instead.  I saw pictures of the DR hotel and there were sooo many people walking right through the ceremony location, it didn't seem very private at all! 

I think for our 'first dance', we might go with Etta James "At Last".  Is that way to cheesy?  I don't think we'll do the first dance right away, we'll eat, then have some music on and let everybody talk a bit, then do cake and first dance.  I thought for the father daughter dance, my dad is a country dancer and he used to take me to little festivals and competitions when I was young, so I might do a nice two step with him, but a song that everybody else can dance to as well.  I don't want something to be dedicated to just the two of us. 

What colors are you ladies using for your wedding?  We're going with orange teal and white.  I found these really cute dresses at sears that matched the theme really well.  Are you going to use the hotel ribbons for the chairs, or are you making/bringing any decorations on your own?  I don't know if its worth it to bring them down, and I don't know how I'd get them all set up anyways... I was thinking though of making a backdrop of starfish for the ceremony (I saw it on a craft site, you hang small starfish onto a fishing line and let them hang down like a curtain).  Again, not too sure who'd set this up though...

For favors, we're taking everybody who wants to come on a catamaran tour instead the night before.  The company is also throwing in a parasailing boat.  We're doing the 4 hour, snorkeling/sunset tour.  We've asked the company to come down on the price  since we're not including food and since we'll be asking them to keep the drinking to a minimum.  We don't want everybody to get hammered the night before our wedding and not make it through the ceremony!  We also thought this would be a good way for everybody to get to know each other before the wedding.  

I have a friend who's going to Brazil a month before the wedding,so for bridesmaid/groomsmen gifts, we were thinking of picking up orange haviana sandels for the girls, and teal ones for the guys.

You said you're getting a photobooth??  O my goodness that's sooo awesome.  You're getting it brought to the hotel? How did you organize that?  There was one at the wedding show at the Convention Center in Vancouver and we (the girls) had so much fun!  What was the cost of getting that organized?

Erica

Hi girls,

It's nice to see so many Vancouver brides on here, I'm also from Vancouver.  I'm hoping some of you can help me out..... We have had our wedding for March 16, 2012 booked at BlueBay Grand Esmeralda since May and just found out Sunwing is no longer working with them and I have to switch my wedding to Princess.

Originally I was ok with this since I have actually stayed at this resort twice before and loved it both times.  But now that I have looked into replanning my wedding I am feeling extremely stressed out.

At BlueBay we had our ceremony at 4, a cocktail hour afterwards, dinner in a restaurant at 6 and a private after party on the beach from 8-10.  All of this plus extras (flowers, decorations, hair, etc.) was going to cost us about $4000. To do the same at Princess looks to be so much more.  Plus I cant seem to find anywhere if they even do a private party without the dinner other than the one that is $85 pp and includes dinner.  Does anyone know if there is such a thing and maybe how much that would be for 2 hrs?  (DJ, dance floor and bar?)  

Hopefully someone can help me out, the idea of replanning everything is driving me nuts and especially when its looking like I won't have the same wedding :(

Hi Frantic Bride!

I'm getting married the end of April too! :) We will be there from the 19th - the 24th so it will be awesome to meet all of you! We have between 50-55 people coming so it sounds like we are going to have A LOT of new friends meeting each other at the swim-up bar! :D

We booked our Wedding and reserved all of our locations back in May of this year so it's been fun planning all the details!

We just paid for our entire wedding though up front, so it scares me that you keep getting charged!!!! $9000.00 would be A LOT to get charged multiple times so I'm going to have to send an email to our WC to make sure this is not going to happen to us!!  THANK YOU so much for the heads up about this, because that would be a DISASTER!

Happy planning! :)

Originally Posted by FranticBride2be View Post

erica

Hey Riviera Bride, 

That's really too bad about what happened.  

How many people do you have at your wedding?  Who's your WC?

We went with a private room for the reception.  They have the Ibiza room, Crystal room and Jalisco room, and you can use a Gala Menu.  This is for four hours (you can do a sit down or a buffet), it includes beer and wine, and a dj.  The cost will really depend on the number of guests you have, and the menu you choose, since its a per person cost if you go this route.  You can also choose different package options, some of them include flowers.  I've decided to go with an outside vendor for flowers.  One of the options includes a private cocktail hour.  We've just decided to just send our guests to the lobby bar for a drink while we get pictures done. 

I hope that helps!