Grand Sunset Princess Resort

Mookie and Kristy, our dates will overlap! We are getting married April 8, 2011, staying 6-13! I am also really hoping that the gazebo will be available by then but am doubtful.  

I was wondering if the Yuppa they are alternatively providing is right by a big chain link fence? I thought I could see that on the side of one of the pictures Mara sent me.  Also I was wondering if it is big enough to sit about 50 ppl? 

We are doing a private reception in the Thai Restaurant which I am really excited about!  

Happy planning everyone!!

No problem agirolamo, anytime!  I'm not sure how loud your ipod doc is but make sure if you're relying on the WC to bring audio equipment to the ceremony for the first dance on the beach after (that's what I understood your plan to be, correct me if I"m wrong), that you specify this in advance and make sure it's in the written contract.  I imagine they will charge a fee for it.  For us audio equipment rental (with the DJ) was I believe $757 for the four hour ceremony, but when I asked if I can rent audio equipment and use my own music I was quoted $252/hr - which strangely is equal to exactly 3 hours with the DJ and hourly costs more than having the DJ...I know its weird, its basically cheaper to have a DJ than to just rent the equipment w/o the DJ.  Maybe they've fixed some of the prices but regardless there will probably be a fee to have them bring audio equipment for the first dance to connect to your ipod.

As for times I would check the sunset times for your wedding date to see if it'll be bright enough to have pictures after the 3 oclock reception and dance and with enough time to get ready for the ceremony.  I'm sure the sun won't set shortly after 3 but you also want the sun to be higher in the sky and at least about 3 hours before sunset during pictures.  An idea - maybe you can do your photos before the ceremony so that the sun is brighter?

Thanks for all your well wishes too - I'm sure you'll have a great time despite all the stress right now...that's how it was for us too!

Originally Posted by kristy1980 View Post

Mookie - we have the same wedding date :) April 12th, 2011!

What time is your ceremony? Mine is at 4pm. My fingers are crossed for the gazebo to be available, but I'm not getting my hopes up at all!

Everyone - I have a question about the reception dinner. I'm having the semi-private reception in one of the a la carte restaurants, but received an email from Alejandra the WC with an attachment called SET MENUS. This is very different from the original menus I was sent to choose from and was wondering what's up with this? In the first menus I have it looks like I can choose an item from each course to make up the meal at the restaurant I choose. For example, I could choose an appetizer, main course and then a dessert from a list of a few options in each category. In the SET MENUS document I was sent a few days ago it seems like each restuarant has a Meal 1 and Meal 2 option and that's it - which makes it hard because in a lot of them we like the main course in one option, but the appetizer in the other. I understand what having a set menu means, but was wondering if you have the opportunity to "mix and match" the options?

Also - for anyone who has been married in the Yuppa - is the isle a wooden platform? I'm wondering if we'll be able to wear shoes during the ceremony.

Originally Posted by Kelsey View Post

Mookie and Kristy, our dates will overlap! We are getting married April 8, 2011, staying 6-13! I am also really hoping that the gazebo will be available by then but am doubtful.  

I was wondering if the Yuppa they are alternatively providing is right by a big chain link fence? I thought I could see that on the side of one of the pictures Mara sent me.  Also I was wondering if it is big enough to sit about 50 ppl? 

We are doing a private reception in the Thai Restaurant which I am really excited about!  

There are pics posted of the Yuppa and set-up some pages back.

Kristy1980 I'm sure they will let you mix and match.  For example we had one person who only ate seafood and veggies so at La Hacienda even though the set menu only had beef and chicken they made her a shrimp meal upon request.

Also yes the platform to the Yuppa is wooden.

Originally Posted by gujarwala View Post

Kristy1980 I'm sure they will let you mix and match.  For example we had one person who only ate seafood and veggies so at La Hacienda even though the set menu only had beef and chicken they made her a shrimp meal upon request.

Also yes the platform to the Yuppa is wooden.

Gujarwala - Congrats on your wedding, and thank you so much for sharing all of this info! I've been reading through the posts and it really helps to know what to expect. I find it's all of the small details that end up causing the most stress! I'm happy to hear that they are somewhat flexible with the set menus and accomodating to other guests - our best man's wife is a vegetarian and I was worried about making sure she'd have something since we're looking at steak/chicken etc. Thanks again for your help!!

Well, we are back and had a wonderful time.

Everything was perfect and stress free. We were lucky with great weather as well.

If you choose to go with Thai Beach Party, you will love it. It was so romantic.... We had a semi-private dinner there which is no longer available but Mara was able to do it for us.

The only ceremony location right now is next to the Platinum section at the Sunset, along the wooden fence.

We used resort photographer Francesca, she is wonderful and we bought out all the pics from her.

Remember to book all your appointments right away: massage, hair...

Mara, wedding coordinator was a sweetheart, she even managed to move our ceremony time 1 hr earlier as I was worring if we have enough time for pictures.

I really have nothing to complain about.. lots of great memories!!!

If you have any questions, ask away!          Margret

DSC_0145.jpgDSC_0269.jpgDSC_0422.jpgDSC_0490.jpg

Originally Posted by Kelsey View Post

Kelsey,

You will be getting married on my birthday!

Present location for the ceremony is along the wooden fence at the end of the beach by the Sunset platinum section. I do not think it can hold 50 people as you can see in my pics. I am sure gazebo will be available by that time. Do not worry, they will take care of you!

Great decision on the Thai Beach restaurant, it was so romantic. You will love it!!!

I picked this resort for the gazebo....I loved it.  I was lucky enough to have a beautiful day so I got my wish, however the laguna rivera is still a lovely option.  The only thing is if I remember corectly is that it's smaller and it's fairly close to the main lobby so lots of people around....not so different than the beach though....at least those gawkers are dressed! LOL!

Originally Posted by samcalv1 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasse75 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcalv1 View Post

Hi Everyone

Just wondering if it is raining on the day of the wedding what is the alternative??? Has anyone here been told???

Thanks

I was married there in April 2010, believe it or not it rained like crazy....the option they gave the brides for the ceremony was the one you see above "backup laguna riveria"

Thanks for the info. How did you find the backup laguna riveria? Were you happy with it? Thanks again

Hey ladies,

I did catch the CBC report. It was pretty incredible the story they told. The whole thing about the gas money stunned me. I couldn't believe it. I think the Yuppa is very picturesque. Mara the WC finally got a hold of me to send me some more details. I am concerned about the "set menu" as it doesn't really seem too accomodating. However, hopefully once we get down there it will be a little different. I am still trying to get a straight answer as to what documentation I require and if anything needs to be notarized by the mexican consulate of Calgary prior to us leaving. I have ordered my AHR invitations and will be sending those out soon.

Any ideas for group activities to do with your crew while you are down there? Has anyone looked into booking a catamaran ride? Mara said she would section off the buffet for my group for a rehearsal dinner or a thankyou dinner. I just had to let her know.

What other special events do you brides have planned?

I love this blog!!!