Grand Sunset Princess Resort

What a beautiful Wedding!!!! absoulutly stunning Love your dress and the brides maids dresses also .  Did you have to talk to your wedding coordinator about a rehersal dinner? Did you find having your hair down ok?

Hey Ms Burns !

thanks for your review and your lovely pictures. you looked awsome!

just wondering what the weather was like for you the week you were down. you were there the last week of june?

we are finalizing our date for next june, early june, and are concerned about the temperature being too overwhelmingly hot.

did you get your hair done at the salon at the resort? it looked beautiful. i also have long curly hair and don't really want to put it all up :)

also, do you mind me asking how much your photographer was (just for the photos).

thanks

michelle

Hi I am planning my wedding May 2011 and thinking of booking GRP/GSP. I have a couple questions

-what the difference between GRP and GSP?

-how many guests did you have?

-how much did they charge extra for the private reception on the beach?

Your pics are beautiful!!!! I am very inspired :)

Thanks

Hey everyone - I've been scouring through all this information.. and from the looks of it, i'm the first groom this site as well. :)

Anyways, I have a number of questions that i'm hoping people will be able to answer.  BUT before i ask them, i'll tell you the setup.  The wedding is approx 80 - 100 people in April 2011 (around 1pm - can't remember the exact date .. haha).  There are 2 bridesmaids, and 2 groomsmen.  It's not an 'official' wedding since we're getting 'officially' married in Canada first.

Wedding related:

1.  From people's experiences, which is the 'best' wedding package (value for money, and just overall decor)?

2.  What upgrades did people do and was it worth it (flowers, etc.)?

3.  Should I request a certain area of the resort to get married?

4.  Do we need a wedding planner down there to help us deal with the wedding planner at the resort? haha.. sounds ridiculous, but it seems as though they are unresponsive (from what I'm reading on this site).

5.  If applicable, do we tip and how much do we tip (wedding planner, etc.)?

Reception related:

1.  What restaurant did people choose? and will they accommodate such a large group as we have?

2.  I read some people are on the beach-front ... is this for the reception?

3.  Which photographer did people use?  If i bring my own, it seems as though I may or may not be able to use them.  They will stay at the resort.

4.  Were there any upgrades that people did here?

5.  What DJ/audio package did people do and what were their thoughts?

Non-Wedding related:

1.  Was anyone able to secure a large block of rooms in advance?

2.  Did any couples get upgraded rooms and were they worth it?

3.  What excursions/activities have people done and found good group rates for? (trying to think of activities for guests)

Sorry about all the questions - but i figured i'd try to get all of them answered all at once.

Oh - a couple other things...

1.  I was wondering about this Thai restaurant that everyone mentions - how much did it cost? can they fit 100 people and was it worth it?

2.  Anyone interested in sharing a photographer?  I'm thinking of flying one down so we could maybe get some better rates ... i'll share her website if you are interested.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jessa,

I'm also getting married at the Princess on Dec.3! It was supposed to be at the Riviera but apparently they're doing renos of the Riviera side so we've been moved to the Sunset. Same resort so i'm not too stressed about it. We're getting married at 3pm.

I'm using Claudia from Claudia Rodriguez photography - a friend used her before, but we have her booked for like 6 hours so don't think i'll be able to share!

We're getting married in the gazebo and doing a private beach reception. I keep waffling between that and the Thai Beach Club, but its a little more expensive and i do like the idea of being on the beach. What about you?

Melanie

Originally Posted by uworich View Post

Hey everyone - I've been scouring through all this information.. and from the looks of it, i'm the first groom this site as well. :)

Anyways, I have a number of questions that i'm hoping people will be able to answer.  BUT before i ask them, i'll tell you the setup.  The wedding is approx 80 - 100 people in April 2011 (around 1pm - can't remember the exact date .. haha).  There are 2 bridesmaids, and 2 groomsmen.  It's not an 'official' wedding since we're getting 'officially' married in Canada first.

Wedding related:

1.  From people's experiences, which is the 'best' wedding package (value for money, and just overall decor)?

We used basic wedding package for ceremony and it was fine, brought our champagne for toast, added a couple flowers, kept it simple

2.  What upgrades did people do and was it worth it (flowers, etc.)?

3.  Should I request a certain area of the resort to get married?

Gazebo was fine, but for your size of group, I don't know

4.  Do we need a wedding planner down there to help us deal with the wedding planner at the resort? haha.. sounds ridiculous, but it seems as though they are unresponsive (from what I'm reading on this site). We used a wedding planer/travel agent here in Vancouver. Marsha Steeves. It was definitely helpful

5.  If applicable, do we tip and how much do we tip (wedding planner, etc.)?

I think we tipped the onsite wedding planner 50$ and a couple of the waiters each 20-40$  They were really great

Reception related:

1.  What restaurant did people choose? and will they accommodate such a large group as we have?

It might be tough with such a large group, you might need to book a private reception, we did a breach reception and it was worth the money for sure

2.  I read some people are on the beach-front ... is this for the reception?

3.  Which photographer did people use?  If i bring my own, it seems as though I may or may not be able to use them.  They will stay at the resort.

we used Dean Sanderson from Canada.  Had to pay guest fee for him, I think around 80$, but if yours is staying at resort, shouldn't be a problem

4.  Were there any upgrades that people did here?

not really, food and drink were great, dancing on sand was more fun than a dancefloor anyway

5.  What DJ/audio package did people do and what were their thoughts?

Dj comes with the audio package, I know some people just did it on their own, but if you have a planner here, she might be able to negotiate a deal..

Non-Wedding related:

1.  Was anyone able to secure a large block of rooms in advance?

Yes, by having everyone book through Marsha, everyone who booked a basic room was upgraded one level, and all stayed together and everyone who upgraded to Platinum were together

2.  Did any couples get upgraded rooms and were they worth it?

YES  Platinum rooms and area were awesome

3.  What excursions/activities have people done and found good group rates for? (trying to think of activities for guests)

Tulum, xel ha, Alux restaurant, shopping in Playa, Scuba.  For Tulum and shopping, we hired 2 brothers with vans to drive us around, ask the bellman. They picked us up, drove us wherever, waited around, drove us around some more, waited some more, and drove us back to hotel.  It cost about half of what the 'group' rates would have been...

Sorry about all the questions - but i figured i'd try to get all of them answered all at once.

Hi! I'm considering getting married at the Grand Princess resort and have been talking with a TA, the group bookings manager, and the wedding coordinator on site.  I am also having around the same number of people.  See my answers below.

Hope this helps! :)

Originally Posted by uworich View Post

Wedding related:

1.  From people's experiences, which is the 'best' wedding package (value for money, and just overall decor)?  The "Infinity" package was the best option for us and the wedding coordinator also suggested it too since their best package ("royalty" I think) only accommodated for 40 people and everyone on top of 40 would cost $12 more (for dinner) and $10 more (for cocktail hour).  According to her, I wouldn't have been able to substitute anything in the royalty package and dinner reservations cannot be made for over 40 people (a private event is required).

2.  What upgrades did people do and was it worth it (flowers, etc.)?  Haven't really decided this, but I had planned on bringing my own centerpieces.  Will definitely upgrade and get flowers for my wedding party (I have a huge wedding party).

3.  Should I request a certain area of the resort to get married?  I think the only locations you can have your ceremony at are the gazebo and the beach.  I keep trying to ask what locations they have for private event receptions, but as of right now.. she has told me they have gala rooms (which I'm assuming is a ballroom), the beach, and the thai beach club.

4.  Do we need a wedding planner down there to help us deal with the wedding planner at the resort? haha.. sounds ridiculous, but it seems as though they are unresponsive (from what I'm reading on this site).  I've been lucky and have pretty good luck getting a response from the onsite coordinator (did I just jinx myself?).

5.  If applicable, do we tip and how much do we tip (wedding planner, etc.)?  I think tipping is a good idea.

Reception related:

1.  What restaurant did people choose? and will they accommodate such a large group as we have?  No they won't accommodate any groups over 40. You'll have to do a private event.

2.  I read some people are on the beach-front ... is this for the reception?  You can do a beach ceremony and a beach reception.

3.  Which photographer did people use?  If i bring my own, it seems as though I may or may not be able to use them.  They will stay at the resort.  I am bringing my own and having them stay at the resort. I believe that's okay as long as they are a guest at the resort.

4.  Were there any upgrades that people did here?  I am asking about a beach reception and having a dance floor because I want to do the traditional reception events.

5.  What DJ/audio package did people do and what were their thoughts?  I am asking for DJ/audio costs also.

Non-Wedding related:

1.  Was anyone able to secure a large block of rooms in advance?  Yes, you can go through the hotel through the group booking manager (Azalea is the person I'm working with) or you can go through a TA.  They typically have group incentives.

2.  Did any couples get upgraded rooms and were they worth it?  For my fiance and I, I plan to do Platinum Suite.

3.  What excursions/activities have people done and found good group rates for? (trying to think of activities for guests)  I'd like to know this also.

Originally Posted by dvorak1 View Post

Your wedding was beautiful! Thanks for sharing the pics!

Our wedding is 4/1/11 at GRP, so we are still finalizing details. I do have a few questions...

1. did you use the resorts flowers and cake? they were beautiful, and as mentioned above, I don't remember seeing those options

2. how was the music when you walked down the aisle? who controlled it?

3. how was the dj at the reception? I was hoping we could just load up an ipod, but am told this is not an option. they said the dj comes with the sound equipment

I appreciate your help!

Amanda

Hi Amanda,

her are my answers:

1. flowers were floramatique from a lady in Oakville, ON, cake was chosen at the resort...they have tonnnes of options

2. i burned cd's for the whole thing...pre-ceremony, aisle, post ceremony and reception, dancing etc.  the coordinator controlled it at the ceremony and dj during the reception.

3.dj was great, i just burnt cd's, he played them and then mixed in guest requests.