Quote:
Originally Posted by michelle2011 View Post
Hello Brides

I wondered if any of you could help me...

My fiance and I are so undecided as to which hotel to book for our wedding. First we liked Azul Beach (but a little on the small side) then Azul Sensatori (put off by reviews) and more recent the new Dreams Riviera Cancun. The privacy issue there is a big part to us not booking. So now we are looking at the Grand Palladiums. We have children of 12yrs and 2yrs who don't use the kids clubs really so wondered which Palladium would suit us best? We love the look of the ocean gazebo. Beautiful! Also can anyone tell me how long the transfer is from the airport? Our broucher says 2hrs which we thought might be a bit much after travelling from the UK. Any help would be appreciated as we are so up in the air about the hotels and just want to get booked up. Many thanks Michelle
Hey Michelle,

There is only one section of the resort that does not allow children. The Colonial and Kantenah section are the oldest sections. I have only stayed in the Colonial section in the past and was very impressed, and I am sure that the newer sections are wonderful. I don't know how it works in the UK, but different tour companies offer packages cover their own sections of the resorts usually, so I would check with a TA if I were you.
Also, where were you looking at reviews? I have found in the past that you can't always listen to reiveiws in some places (as tempting as it is!) as many times you will only find negative reviews!
Did you check out the reviews section on this site? You'll find lots for the other resorts you looked at.
From our experience, the Palladium was awesome. We will have three 1 yr. olds with us at our wedding, and three other kids of various ages (5, 8, 12) and are not worried about keeping ANYONE occupied.
As for the travel, it is quite a ways from the Cancun airport, but not 2 hours. I would think closer to 1 hour 15 mins? Depends on if any stops at other reosrts along the way. Last time we were there, we did not have transfers included and got a van for four of us and were there in an hour. Well worth it, IMO

Let us know if you need any more info!

Hi Christina, thanks for your feed back. I try not to let the reviews get to me too much but do find them interesting to read, especially as we are coming from the Uk and never been to Mexico before. I've mostly been reading tripadvisor and facebook pages. The Palladium resorts all look so nice. And although a way from Cancun quite close to Playa del Carmen if we do want to go off resort. I had an email from Rocio answering some of my questions and she seems so nice. Definately on our short list. The ceremony location is a big thing for me and the gazebos just look so special there. :o)

Hey GP Brides... I just wanted to pass along a tip from last time I was on the resort. If you are going to do a Trash the Dress session, there is a great spot that's sorta near the gazebo that's excellent if you go first thing in the morning before the sun gets too high. There are these awesome beach cabana bed lounge things... to get there, go to the gazebo and follow the path along the ocean to the right (as you are facing the water.) They were awesome for TTD shots without having to even leave the resort! Along the water was a good spot, too... to help get that tropical feel. Early in the morning is best because it's not quite so crowded on the beach and the light is the best.

Lastly, one more tip that I haven't seen mentioned yet.... Grand Palladium doesn't spray for mosquitos as part of their environmentally friendly policy. BUT when I was there, the mosquitos were absolutely horrendous. Seriously awful. They sell a pleasant smelling bug spray, but it's quite expensive (almost $10 for a can), so I'd recommend bringing some along before you even get here. And furthermore, make sure you wear it a few days before your wedding because the bug bites show up in pictures if you scratch them! :)

Here are a couple pictures of what I'm talking about for location:

Click the image to open in full size.

If anyone wants to see any pictures of things like the rooms or resort, I have those, too. :) Just send me a message.

Beautiful photos! Post away please! We all love pictures...

When were you there that you found the bugs really bad? I was there in May a few years ago and did not have any problems with bugs. Will definitely bring our own just in case, but am thinking that the bugs might be worse in rainy season? I most certainly could be completely wrong, so any thoughts anyone?

I was there in August and they were atrocious! I'm from Wisconsin, and thought we had bad mosquitos here, but that topped it. :P

Here are a couple more pics. It was such a beautiful resort! I was down there for work, but definitely plan to go back with my hubby :)

This is the private reception for less than 40 people. It really was beautiful. And, I might add, the cake actually tasted good!

The big triangle is right where the private reception was held.

All the portraits are right from the resort. Mostly White Sands, but it's easy to get to any of the three since there are frequent (short) shuttle rides.

These were inside one of the adults-only suite thingies. I forget what they are called, but I think a Junior Suite?

The resort in the daytime:

The flowers were done by the resort and turned quite nice:

After the ceremony, they had a champagne toast, which was really nice:

If you guys want to see anything specific, let me know and I'll see if I can find it. :)

Oh, I forgot to mention that I have pictures of the regular rooms, too. And instead of hiring the DJ, this B&G just met up when the dance club opened, hung out there for an hour or so, and had some fun there. (But they had a reception at home... this wasn't their only reception.)

Hola Ladies!

I'm at the GP now. Getting married tomorrow. Dave and I trying to write our vows and looking for inspiration online. The mosquitoes are pretty bad. I have big welts all over my legs (thank god for a long dress!!!). I met with Erika 2 days ago - I asked for the most tropical flowers in yellow and purple. I also left my dress for steaming and they brought it back to my room today - hope it still fits, so much yummy food here. We had clouds all along so no sunburn, but I'll be here for another 10 days so there's still time to fry. Erika arranges for the photographer to meet you in your room and she wanted to get me a golf cart to take me from my room to the gazebo, but I said I'll just walk because its literally the closest building. In fact I'm looking at the gazebo right now. I met a bride here 2 nights ago and she said she had the time of her life, her reception was at portofino and looked beautiful. Ok, I'm being eaten aline and its time for dinner and a few tequila sunrises! I'll post again in the new year! Cheers!

Tammikins I cannot believe you are on here the day before your wedding! Too funny.

I was going to wait until tomorrow to say HAPPY WEDDING DAY (well, Mexico wedding day anyways), but in hopes you are still on here...HAPPY WEDDING DAY!

I hope you have the best day ever. Can't wait to hear all about it and see pictures!