The snow didn't stick to the roads. I barely noticed it driving to work as it was just getting started and it had stopped and pretty much melted by the time I drove home.

I used the spa to get my hair done. I had a great experience. Others in our group used it while we were there for massage, etc. as well and also loved it. I do know another bride that purchased one of their packages and didn't have so great of an experience. It seems that with the package, you get one practitioner for all services, no matter what is getting done (massage, facial, mani, pedi, and hair). So, you might get someone who is good at part and just does the rest when they are doing a package. I would recommend booking services separately so you get someone who specializes in an area (i.e. hair).

We decided to make most of the decisions down there so that we could see the location and get a feel for everything. I also didn't have my heart set on a perfect colour scheme or anything, so it made the planning stage very relaxing. The hardest part was getting guests booked and choosing a dress.

We brought a cd with music for the ceremony. They have music there, but we decided to bring our own. We wanted to use acoustic guitar and guitar/banjo music to keep the feel beachy. You will need to pick at least 3 songs (processional, document signing, recessional), which you can do there if you want.

Cheers,

Jen

Hello,

Jennifer your picutres are beautiful. Did you use a photographer down in the riviera or bring one with you from home? Also, your dress is beautiful!!

I am getting married here this November. We will leave with our guests on Saturday Nov 14th to Nov 21st. We are deaprting from Toronto. Is anyone else down here the same week as us? or crossing over by a few days??

We just have to get a photographer, wedding bands and I have to go dress shopping and get a dress. We did out wedding invitations as a boarding pass ticket. On the invitations we noted that we need to know who is coming 2 months before so we can make arrangements for our reception. We want a private one (we know it is 50-60 dollars per person when you go this route). Has anyone on here done a private reception here or planning on doing so as well?? I am just wondering as we want to do speaches (short and sweet), first dance, dj (looking into cost and looks like 645.00 US for 45 minutes!!!) I read on here you can rent a mic for 100.00 US too. It really all is depending on our numbers may look at an alacarte. For those of you that did or are doing the alacarte were you able to play music there (meaning did they have a CD player there for you to use)? Did you find the 2 hour limit in the alacarte rushed?? Any tips, pointers or information on this would be greatly appreciated.

As for the wedding ceremony we know it is $20.00 extra on top of the wedding package for over 8 guests. As for the decorations my fiance and I are so excited we can just pick all this out when we get there. The flowers I am sure are going to be beautiful regardless. As for the cake they could stick a mexican bride and groom on it for all we care...LOL! Either way it is going to be beautiful with the ocean in front of us and all our friends and family there with us too!!

I have 4 bridesmaids and we were able to get all the dresses for 90.00 all taxes in canadian through sears so I was really happy about that!! The guys are going to wear a white collared short sleeve shirt and kahki pants. My fiance and I have also decided we are going to do a trip for the guys along with the fathers and a trip for the girls along with the mothers while we are down there as a gift from us to them. It was hard to worry about bringing gifts with us and trying to pack it all in the suit cases. There are some good rates you can get for trips on line booking in advance instead of at the resort.

Looking forward to hearing back any information or pointers as it is greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Thank you for the comments about the pictures and the dress!

We used Tamm's Photos (Tamm's Photos - Wedding Photography Intro). Tammara and her husband work as a team and are based in the US, but travel to Mexico to shoot weddings. We had a great experience using them.

My dress was from Venus bridals. It was one of the dresses in their bridesmaid collection.

I highly recommend the Tres Leches cake (3 cream - it's a Mexican specialty). They gave us a choice of 3 flavours (vanilla, chocolate, and tres leches). We didn't specify anything else and they just decorated it with flowers for us.

If you book anything through Renova Spa or Scuba Caribe via the internet before you go, you can get a 5% discount on their posted prices. Erika or Rocio can send you the list of service they provide.

I'm not sure if they have a CD player/mic to use at the a la cartes. We didn't find we needed one. They just section off an area for your group. At Portofino (where we had our reception dinner), we were on a patio area separated from the main restaurant, across the walkway on the water side. Near the end of our pictures, should be a distant shot of where we were holding the reception. We had that area to ourselves. From what I saw there during the week, at the other restaurants, they set up the group in an area that is kind of separated from the rest of the restaurant. It's not in a separate room, but the area is separated from the rest of the diners. They weren't too strict on the 2 hour rule. I think ours ran over, I wasn't really paying attention. We had a REALLY REALLY slow eater in our group, so we were waiting for them to finish their course before they could serve the next course.

The guys in our group did a deep sea fishing charter. We didn't do a planned girls activity. They booked it through someone based out of Puerto Aventuras, which is around a $10US cab fare away. I didn't really pay attention to the details as the guys had it under control.

Cheers,

Jen

Hey All,

We just booked our wedding for the week of November 15-22, 2009 at the Grand Palladium Colonial! It's so exciting to finally have the resort booked. We're still waiting to hear what date the actual wedding will be and then we can start doing everything else. Thanks everyone for all the great ideas and feedback - it makes planning things a lot easier!

Leanne

I'm getting married at the GP on October 16 and we are having quite a few guests so we are having a private reception. We haven't decided yet which location we are going to choose for it although they are very similar - La Laguna and El Azul. As far as a DJ, we booked DJ Bob and he's only $450 for 4 hours. He is very responsive over email and even called me to introduce himself and go over what I wanted (mind you my wedding isn't until October). He actually said that the GP is one of his 2 favorite resorts to work with so that was great to hear. He basically runs the reception like you would see at any "normal" reception back home, and you can add or omit things you do or don't want. Also, for speeches he has a mic for you to use. Overall I think it's a great deal and he seems super cool so I'm very excited for DJ Bob.

You can't really go wrong with a reception in either Gran Azul or La Laguna. For anyone considering between those locations who hasn't been there (and seen the layout), I would recommend choosing the location closest to where you and your guests would be staying so it makes it easier for everyone at the end of the night (everyone will be pretty exhausted from the partying, especially in the sun) to get back to their rooms and not have to worry about a long walk or the train system. Our entire group seemed to prefer hanging out a little closer to our rooms as the resort is pretty big.

Cheers!

Leanne, we will be down there the same week as you! We arrive on Nov 12th to Nov 21st. Our wedding date is Nov 19th at 4PM. We should meet up for some drinks!!

I was so relieved once we had our week and date picked too!

Erika and Rocio are great at getting back sometimes it can take a week (that is the longest I have had to wait) but that could be they are busy dealing with the day to day weddings and wedding dates that are closer.

Krissy, thank you for referring DJ Bob. We booked him over the weekend for our wedding as we want a private reception due to the number of people coming.

Candice

We have our date! November 18 - yay!

Candice, a drink sounds like a great idea! We are actually going to stay in the Mayan until November 29, but are moving resorts for our second week to an adults only (probably EDR).

Now I just need to book the photographer...so many choices!

We have our date! November 18 - yay!

Candice, a drink sounds like a great idea! We are actually going to stay in the Mayan until November 29, but are moving resorts for our second week to an adults only (probably EDR).

Now I just need to book the photographer...so many choices!

Hello! Congratulations on your wedding date. Are you doing a civil ceremony?

I am looking into phptographers right now.

We thought about staying two weeks but I think we are coming back and then going in February to St. Lucia...not 100% sure yet as that may change and we may stay the two weeks. As for the EDR that resort looks amazing and we thought of going there for 4 nights as well.

Click the image to open in full size.