They told me yesterday they aren't booking weddings for 2014 for another 2 months. How did you go about booking January 3?
Hey sorry I haven't officially booked Jan 3rd but am planning on doing so whenever we can book for 2014! Rocio said to ask her again end of March when they will be taking bookings for 2014. When are you planning for Sarah?!

Becci,

I will e-mail that stuff through to you tonight, hope it is of some help for you! The cocktail hour is actually for 2 hours and yes it's just $5 per person, it's $14 if you would like nibbles included as well but I think because we'll have had our meal they would be slightly wasted.  We're also just trying to organise our party for when we get home, how close to you getting back are you having it?  I think we're going for about a fortnight after we're home to allow us to recover haha!

Mikeycelle,

I haven't thought too much about music choice for the ceremony, i guess we could bring hymn music on our iPod because that works in the Church as well (if I remember correctly)  We have hired a violinist so may just go for instrumental music throughout.  Have you come up with any ideas yet?

Danni,

Our ceremony time is also 4pm, we're having dinner at Portofino 6-8 and then cocktail hour at Las Rocas so a pretty similar timescale to yours.  We'll definitely go for speeches before the meal as well.  It'll be lovely having your final fitting on Saturday, a wee glimpse of whats to come!  Are you having your dress boxed by the shop you bought it from?  Thank you for the info on legalities, it's the most simple, clear information I've been able to find and really helpful - thanks! 

Welcome Jen! You and I will be at GP at the same time, we arrive the day after your wedding!  We have a slightly higher number 30-40 so Vanessa didn't mention Portofino terrace being open to others.  I understand where you are coming from wanting it to be seperate, I would be the same.  As far as I know you can still have decoration on the terrace although I'm not 100% on that.  Maybe check with Vanessa.  I have mentioned our timescale above, but you really do see so many alternatives you can go with whatever you think would work best for you and your group.  My group are party animals so I know they will be dancing without too much encouragement.  Lots of brides seem to head to the lobby later on for the live music and I'm sure there would be a great atmosphere there as well.   The cocktail hour(s) is a nice time even for just mingling with your guests and taking the time to chat with everyone and have a celebratory drink together.  We are having our day structured exactly as though we would if it were at home, but as they say ... it's your day so you can do as you please :)

I'm not sure if everyone will be able to open the attachment but I will also attach the menu options Vanessa sent me for Portofino.  I'm happy to forward via e-mail if you can't open the attchment.

Claire

Hi ladies

Claire-

Thanks so much for your emails. Unable to see any photos of the flowers though? Its so helpful to see the menus and im sure there is something there everyone will eat even if we have to ask for something to be plain! 

We are getting back on a tuesday morning and I wanted one weekend at home and then our party is the following saturday. Giving me time to have our dresses/ outfits dry cleaned before the party- I cant wait for the opportunity to wear it twice! We have hired a barn and are having an evening reception complete with band, dj and Hog roast for our 240 guests- one of the reasons the main wedding is in Mexico! 

This brings me onto the trash you dress photoshoots- I love all the pictures i have seen of this but as i want to wear my dress again will it really trash it? If so im thinking of buying a second dress cheap off ebay just to wear to do something like this. any advice would be great.

Jengullage- I have just seen what you said about the terrace and not having enough guests to have it privately. I was hoping to this myself and it looks like we will have about the same amount of guests as yourselves. I really wanted the Portofino for that reason, I have seen photos of someones wedding there before and they had it to themselves and im sure they only had about 23 guests. Maybe it depends on how busy the resort is?

Thanks everyone

Hi Ladies!

Chrestena I am just as you are with Friends lol – everything in life can relate to an episode somehow!  I also have all of the seasons and if Iâ€m ever in a bad mood I just put them on and laugh. 

Claire you are too cute I love reading your posts as I can just hear  your accent!   ;)  Iâ€m currently reading a novel and the author is from the UK and the characters have mentioned a ‘fortnight†quite a bit – I had to ask my fiancé what it meant!!  I felt so silly I didnâ€t know!  J  It will be so cool that youâ€re there the same time as Jen.  You girls got the date I originally was thinking of haha – I tried for a July wedding but it was all booked up. 

Becci – I bought a second dress online for cheap.  I debated about it.  I honestly wouldnâ€t have minded trashing my original because Iâ€m sure with the sand on the beach it will be ruined anyway!  I decided to do it since my original has a mermaid style underneath and I didnâ€t think Iâ€d be able to safely swim in it lol.  Also thereâ€s a possibility I may want to wear it again at one of our At Home receptions.  I researched a bit but ended up getting it from lightinthebox.com because a girl from work ordered a bridesmaid dress from there before and gave it a good review.  The dress was only $200 and free shipping – even to Canada!  But be warned – they do not tell you that youâ€ll have to pay duty.  And it's expensive!  I did read this from another UK bride on lightinthebox but for some reason I thought since it was free shipping Iâ€d get away scott free on that too.  I didnâ€t.  L  It cost me $67 and you have to pay them at the door when they deliver it.  I was in Punta Cana and my roommate had to fork over the cash!  I would have shipped to my friends in the US had I known.  But all in all I do think it was worth it.  The dress came REALLY fast from what they said – maybe 6 weeks.  It looks better than online!  And it fits as it should.  I asked Vanessa about steaming it too, even though Iâ€ll just jump in the water in it and she said no problem at all.  Sheâ€s very responsive and very accommodating. 

For anyone wanting to bring floaties for the pool thatâ€s a-ok according to Vanessa too.  J

Jen – welcome!  I agree with Becci about the Portofino terrace.  I honestly think it probably depends on how busy the resort is.  Iâ€m sure Iâ€ve seen pictures with the same amount of people out there too.  I bet they would try for you to keep others from sitting out there – she just canâ€t guarantee it.  Honestly who would even want to sit out there if there was obviously a wedding party enjoying their festivities?  That would just be awkward!   I think you can totally do the speeches during dinner at Portofino.  I went to a wedding at GP a long time ago (6 years) and that was how this party did it.  The dinner took a long time back then so there was totally time and in fact it broke it up nicely.  Iâ€d ask Vanessa about the decorations but I canâ€t see a few of them being an issue.  Better to check just to be sure before you lug all of that stuff down there.   As for other things you could add in to the structure, you already mentioned cutting the cake.  You could do a first dance, maybe even a bouquet toss if you have some single ladies in your party.  Iâ€m still debating on that one.  Iâ€ve been a bridesmaid a zillion times and Iâ€m the last to get married!

Well, time for Greyâ€s Anatomy, better be off!  Talk to you soon, ladies!

Hi ladies,

I need some advice! I keep flip flopping on whether to have a rehersal dinner at Portofino the night before the wedding and then have a post-ceremony cocktail reception with hot appetizers ($14 per person), or whether do to the Portofino dinner after the ceremony followed by a cocktail reception without the appies ($5 per person). My budget is leaning towards option 2. Does anyone have any feedback about the appetizer reception??

Thanks!

Katherine

• Like 1

Originally Posted by kmmathes View Post

Hi ladies,

I need some advice! I keep flip flopping on whether to have a rehersal dinner at Portofino the night before the wedding and then have a post-ceremony cocktail reception with hot appetizers ($14 per person), or whether do to the Portofino dinner after the ceremony followed by a cocktail reception without the appies ($5 per person). My budget is leaning towards option 2. Does anyone have any feedback about the appetizer reception??

Thanks!

Katherine

Hi Katherine!

The rehearsal dinner is free. You just need to make a reservation with your wedding coordinator. You can only have 40 people max in Portofino (Private outdoor). I'm doing my rehearsal dinner at the buffet Kabah the night before.

On the day of the wedding, the cocktail reception starts at 7 PM. Any time before they don't serve hot appetizers- only drinks ( $5 pp). So it all depends on what time your ceremony will be. The purpose of cocktail hour is to give the bride and groom time for photo taking while guests could relax and enjoy drinks and appetizers until dinner is served or use the time to go back to their rooms to freshen up or change attire or shoes. Remember under 40 ppl is also free for wedding reception at Portofino, La Laguna or Gran Azul.

Originally Posted by jengullage View Post

Hey Everyone :) 

I am new to this forum, and I must say I am learning A LOT from you ladies!!  I will give some background as to my situation.

We are having a very very small intimate gathering of family (approx. 18-22 people) and we are going to be having the ceremony on the beach at 4 p.m. (not a legal ceremony as the only day available was the ninth during that week and only a symbolic ceremony-so we will get married in Canada before going down) . We have already booked our trip (2 week stay yay!) and started the wedding planning process but now I am having second thoughts about the details I chose (which I have plenty of time to change but I want to make the best decisions based on my situation).  

We originally chose to have a reception at La Laguna (knowing that we would have to pay $50-60 per plate for a minimum of 25 ppl even if only 22 came and we were okay with that) however now we are thinking of opting for the free dinner at Portofino since I have heard such great reviews on it!  I asked Vanessa about the terrace (as someone had suggested on here) and she told me because I don't have alot of people coming that I wouldn't be able to have it to myself :( .  I am a little worried about this because I don't want my wedding reception to seem like a plain old dinner, I still want it to feel like we are "at a wedding"...does anyone else worry about this??

If we were to chose Portofino, we would like to do a cocktail reception after with drinks and maybe cake cutting if that is possible and some music playing.  My worry is that half of my guests will dance and half will probably not (and that's a small number considering only about 20 are going). So I am feeling like that could be very awkward for Johnny and I , and our guests too...any suggestions??  

My fiance also brought up the fact that he would like our reception to be "structured" similar to a regular wedding at home would be (speeches, an mc to keep the flow) but I am completely horrible at planning stuff like this out.  What would we include in a destination wedding reception that only had 20 people present? Also, would we do these speeches during dinner at Portofino or would it be disruptive? I guess I am having a hard time picturing how this would all pan out. Also, with Portofino, can we decorate at all? Like on the tables and chairs? lanterns? 

I read that Claire has a set menu from Portofino I would love to see if you are willing to share!

I really do appreciate any and all comments and help.  I am pretty laid back, and at the same time want to make sure that the wedding flows well and no one is left wondering what to do next or thinks it is unorganized! (my nightmare) 

Thanks ladies!!!

Hi jengullage! I've been to Grand Palladium last year to check out the resort, restaurants and wedding information. Portofino is wonderful! Loved the food and service!  It's definely perfect for an intimate wedding reception. There's enough room for speeches since there you will have the terrace all to yourself. It's is very private since it is separate from the main restaurant.  They have table lanterns for decoration. If you want flowers for the table just ask your wedding coordinator for pics and prices. They run from $40 & up. There is room for an Ipod dock and speakers but not a DJ.  There is room for dancing and for your cake if you set up your tables in a U shape.

Happy Planning!

Hi Katherine,

I was going to suggest the same thing as Mikeycelle.  :)  The rehearsal dinner is free!  As are any other dinners you may want to schedule as long as they are under 40 people.  I think this is a really nice option so that the restaurants know that you're coming and will be set up and waiting for your group.  We've scheduled a rehearsal dinner at Portofino and a day after brunch at Kabah buffet and an immediate family dinner which still works out to 30 people haha at El Dorado Steakhouse for the night before we go home. 

What about having a rehearsal dinner at one of the other fabulous restaurants and then you can have option #2 (which I also think is a great choice because it kind of holds the day together better) at Portofino.  Portofino is so beautiful for pictures and having been to a wedding dinner there before it was a perfect location!  After a big dinner your guests won't even need the appies and the drinks will be perfect because everyone will be ready to party. 

Let us know what you decide!

Lauren

Hi Everyone,

Mikeycelle I know you're having a DJ I'm wondering is anyone else and who and how did you choose?  Mikeycelle do you know if Grand Palladium allows the cold fireworks in La Laguna?

My fiance now wants a DJ but I'm having a bit of trouble getting in touch with some.  DJ Doremixx got back to me right away but the message got quarantined by my work (haha, I think the song list contained profanity!) and when I emailed back (on Tuesday) asking for more information sent to my home account no one ever got back to me.  Vanessa gave me the names of a few others.  The most expensive was $950 which I am cringing at but it's the only thing my fiance has asked for.  The cheapest is $700 from those I've heard back from but he won't allow us to choose our own music which I totally don't like at all.  Haha, I don't think I can relinquish that much control lol!  We're Canadian and from the West and honestly enjoy our country music more than dance music so we want a good mix and I don't think I like not knowing what's going to be played when we're spending that much money.  I think we may go with DJ Mannia as they've been really responsive and they're kind of in the middle and have the cold fireworks and will let us pick the music.  Any advice? 

Also a question about the Spa.  The price list I was sent apparently includes the discount for booking online.  I have just made all of the appointments for my bridesmaids and myself and my mom and the 50% deposit alone was almost $500!!  Has anyone else booked this way?  They told me that the bridal packages can't have any substitutions.  I'm wondering if you booked your services separately or if you went with one of the packages.  Were any of you allowed to substitute?  I didn't even schedule an appointment for my makeup because I'm hoping my girlfriend will be coming and be able to do it otherwise I'll have to add that in too.  We have booked a couples massage which I'm going to need desperately after this! 

Thanks Ladies!  Lauren

Originally Posted by MyTye2B View Post

Hi Everyone,

Mikeycelle I know you're having a DJ I'm wondering is anyone else and who and how did you choose?  Mikeycelle do you know if Grand Palladium allows the cold fireworks in La Laguna?

My fiance now wants a DJ but I'm having a bit of trouble getting in touch with some.  DJ Doremixx got back to me right away but the message got quarantined by my work (haha, I think the song list contained profanity!) and when I emailed back (on Tuesday) asking for more information sent to my home account no one ever got back to me.  Vanessa gave me the names of a few others.  The most expensive was $950 which I am cringing at but it's the only thing my fiance has asked for.  The cheapest is $700 from those I've heard back from but he won't allow us to choose our own music which I totally don't like at all.  Haha, I don't think I can relinquish that much control lol!  We're Canadian and from the West and honestly enjoy our country music more than dance music so we want a good mix and I don't think I like not knowing what's going to be played when we're spending that much money.  I think we may go with DJ Mannia as they've been really responsive and they're kind of in the middle and have the cold fireworks and will let us pick the music.  Any advice? 

Also a question about the Spa.  The price list I was sent apparently includes the discount for booking online.  I have just made all of the appointments for my bridesmaids and myself and my mom and the 50% deposit alone was almost $500!!  Has anyone else booked this way?  They told me that the bridal packages can't have any substitutions.  I'm wondering if you booked your services separately or if you went with one of the packages.  Were any of you allowed to substitute?  I didn't even schedule an appointment for my makeup because I'm hoping my girlfriend will be coming and be able to do it otherwise I'll have to add that in too.  We have booked a couples massage which I'm going to need desperately after this! 

Thanks Ladies!  Lauren

Hi Lauren!

Yes, Vanessa Roldan said they allow cold fireworks in La Laguna. I've seen pictures by Del Sol Photography and they came out great!

DJ Doremixx is flexible with songs and I had to have the lighted dance floor with cold fireworks! I just sent them a playlist.

I haven't booked with the Spa yet. I did receive their price list. They are pricey! I just want bridal hair and makeup for the day. Hair and Makeup for our mothers. My bridesmaids are doing their own hair. I  want beach waves for their hair. They may want to book for makeup if they don't want to do their own makeup. The girls are very good with doing their own hair and makeup so I'll leave them that option.

I know what you mean about needing that massage!

I want to book an exfoliation and massage treatment for us too!  Oh, i inboxed you.

Going through ceremony music and order of the Mass right now. I have to send Musicancun our music list to play during Mass. I also have  print out programs which is a big project on its own! Good thing about Winter Storm Nemo, keeping me indoors all weekend!