There really isn't much for the witnesses to do other than meet with Rocio, have their passports and travel card (whatever they call it).  It takes 10 minutes, top.  But, they do have to be present 3 business days before the wedding too.

For us, it didn't matter since all 4 of them planned to be there ahead of time anyway.

Also, we thought that getting married at the end of the week was much better than early in the week.  Surprising since from the start, I really wanted to get married a day or two after our arrival... but in choosing Mexico, we arrived on a Saturday and got married on the following Thursday and we really loved it.  Everyone was so excited for the whole week!  Again, personal choice :)

Originally Posted by Ellabaja1983 View Post

We got legally married here in the States back in February, because it's easier to do than go through everything with the witnesses and the requirements of having to be down there 3 business days in advance. 

So I emailed Rocio yesterday about flowers, and changing the red carpet that is included in our package to rose petals (because I love that picture of yours Steph), and she is wonderful!!  She told me not to stress on the flowers that we can do whatever we want (for the most part) when we get there and there was no problem with switching to the rose petals!!  Yay!!

I agree it is totally a personal choice.  For us our witnesses would not have planned on being there so far in advance, so it would have really changed their travel plans.  Plus, we are getting married the Firday after Easter so for some of the witnesses it wouldn't have been an option because of that holiday.  So really it depends on your personal choice and what the legal requirements are in your home country.  That was the other part for us.  The US would not acknowledge the marriage in Mexico unless we sent the paperwork through the State Dept. or just got married back here anyway...so we figured it would be cheaper down there, and really easy here. 

So...just make sure you've looked at everything before you decide what to do!!

Thanks ladies for your great and quick responses...I just have to say you guys have been so helpful through this whole process and I am so grateful!!!(:

Stephy it makes me feel better that you just go married legally down there and it is working out great for you. Our only option was to get married down there legally as well I hope it doesn't have to change....Rocio responded to my question last night to and she said the government is going through some changes but they are working hard to help us foreigners be able to still get married legally down in Mexico. We aren't getting married till July 20, 2011 so hopefully nothing will change by then. We are from Canada too and  I looked in to everything as well and I was told the same as you just hope it doesn't change...

Erin I didn't know that it was that different in the states to get legally married down in Mexico...you think it would be easier not harder??

STephy did you do any excursions? If so what would you recommend? We are planning on maybe doing a catamaran cruise with our group and my niece really wants to go swimming with the dolphins (who are we kidding so do I..lol)
Thanks so much for your help!!!

If anyone else has advice that would be great to!!!(:

Christine

I don't know why it's more difficult...  I guess it's just how things work down here..  :(  Oh well, it worked fine for us!

I'm curious about the excursions too.  FI has one planned already with the guys for two days after the wedding, they are going deep sea fishing.  I'm looking at possibly setting up a ATV/Zipline one, but haven't completely decided. 

Steph, did they have a bunch of options out in the lobby?  That's what I've heard, but I thought I'd ask!

What do you mean by ''options in the lobby''??  They do have reps' of various airlines that are there for the groups on the resort.  You can book your excursions through them.

The only ''excursion'' we did was Coco Bongo.  There was 18 of us and we booked it through our travel agency rep once we arrived at the resort.  She arranged for transportation (we had a limo-party-bus which was very nice) and we had a little section to ourselves once we got to the bar.

With 70 guests (most of whom we see once or twice a year), our week was more a PR week than anything else.  We just spent lots of time mingling around, making sure we spent time with each guest.  We had things to do for the wedding too (assemble paper cones, add tags to the maracas, meeting with Rocio), lots of dinners, etc... so we opted out of excursions.  We knew it wasn't going to be our last trip to Riviera Maya and could do lots of excursions next year or whenever we go again.

Lots of our guests went swiming with the dolphins and they all loved it.

A few guests did the Rio Secreto and they absolutely loved it as well.

There were no boats on the water all week, the waves were much too intense.  For deep sea fishing, I'm not sure where exactly you are going but if the water is this rough, I wouldn't do it.

There is definitely an activity for everyone. 

The "reps in the lobby" is what I think you were saying for the reps from airlines..  I'm not sure exactly.  I was just told that there would be people there when we get there that would offer a bunch of different options for the excursions... 

Luckily, I'm not doing the deep sea fishing - that's just for the guys that have chosen to go.  I'm thinking the Monday we are down there we may do the ATVing and zip line.....  We only have a small group of people that are going to be there the full time with us...both of our best friends and a few others!

Thanks so much for your review, Stephy! So helpful! Everyone looked beautiful! Loved your dress and the BM dresses:)

Christine, did Rocio say when she thinks the government changes are going into effect? This could throw a wrench into things...!

Stephy Where di d your guests go swimming with the Dolphins and how much was that? Did they book when they got to the resort or ahead of time from home? My sister and law was told it gets booked in advance and she should book ahead of time....I think it would be okay to book when we get down there... advice would be great!!

Manda, I asked the same question in regards to when do the changes come into effect as well and I am still awaiting Rocio's response...I hope to hear back soon..I will keep you updated!

If you hear anything first let me know!

Thanks

Christine(: