Are OOTs a must? What are alternatives?

I think we're just going to bring little gift bags and fill them there with local snacks and a few bottles of water (mostly because everything there is so much cheaper!).  We might throw in some tums or something....incase someone eats some bad curry.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think OOT bags are a must, but they sure are nice. I'm planning to do tote bags for the bridal party (including the men as their partners will hopefully appreciate them) with a few personalized items and their gift, which will probably be a mastercard gift card or something. The rest of the guests will likely just get mugs. We are going to buy mugs in bulk with our wedding monogram on it. I would like to do tote bags for everyone but they really add up, even if you are just doing the vistaprint ones with shipping it still all adds up. I would also like to do shot glasses and maybe have those put out on the table with votive candles in them. I'm also going to do room key holders which I would never had thought about were it not for this forum.

Originally Posted by soon2bePowers View Post

I got an OOT bag when I went to a wedding in California this summer. It had candy, snacks, coffee, maps, info and water.

I loved the bag and took it to the pool everyday (they got them at targets $1 spot), we ate the candy and snacks because they were there and used the info.

The bag was my favorite part. I am thinking about doing a bag (beach tote) with a welcome book.

I really like this idea!  It's so practical and easy.

Personally, I love the idea of OOT bags. Yes, as my guest list total is climbing, it is getting scarier, but that doesn't mean every single person needs to get their own bag, I can divide it by couple or even by family (i.e. my sister has her husband and four kids coming).

I have to say, I'm as excited about these OOT bags as I am the trip itself. When I found out what OOT bags even were, I spent days if not a couple of weeks poring over these forums and searching everything OOT-related. We are getting married aboard a cruise ship (my family loves cruising) sailing out of Florida on a Caribbean cruise. I am super excited about the guests getting their bags, I am going to try to keep the contents secret from everyone until I absolutely have to (I will be asking some of my guests (brothers, MOH, etc) to put the OOT stuff in their luggage so they might catch a glimpse of it).

The way I see it, we're not paying for anyone's cruise (with the exception of helping my future Mother in Law pay for hers, who financially would not be able to do it on her own and that's my fiancee's only family member coming so we wouldn't even do it without her) so why not treat the guest to a special bag of stuff?

I have seen OOT bags that are small and sweet, with a dispoable foldable bag, some resort or wedding information, welcome letter, and a few small things inside. Then I have seen the giant ones with towels, spa wraps, insulated mugs, first aid kits, toys, etc. (To be honest I love those ones) but you should figure out what your guests are going to need.

If you were a bride that lived in and were getting married in, for example, San Diego, California - and people were coming from all over to be at your wedding - you would give them an OOT - out of town - bag that would be conveinient for them - bottles of water (travelling makes everyone thirsty), some sweets and treats (so they can avoid the mini bar prices at their hotel), maps of your city and detailed information about your wedding.

The OOT bags that are going to these resorts and other places are kind of the same thing. Some resorts, I guess you don't get the big towels, so people put those in, and plus they'll take them home (at least you hope they will). For me, the cruise ship supplies you with big towels in your room and you can take them where-ever. The resorts, while you can get unlimited drinks, the cups are small. So many brides include big cups, or insulated cups so you can have those filled instead of getting refills every few minutes. Myself, on a cruise drinks are not all-inclusive, so I am not getting insulated cups for everyone, but my fiancee wanted to get Bubba Keg Mugs for his best man and groomsmen, so I ordered a few of those, at least it'll keep their beer frosty cold while they're out doing whatever.

The little packs of medication I like too. Last year when we were on a trip in the caribbean someone had an upset stomach or something and when we were at one of our stops, I just didn't trust the medication they had - it may have been fine, but to me it was like imitation pepto bismol, I wanted the actual pepto bismol brand and they only had their version of it... so we didnt get it. So I will be packing little med kits in with my OOT bags as well. Even if nobody needs advil or immodium, I'd rather they have it then not! And if you take it back home with you it's not like you'll throw it out, keep it in your travel bag or medicine cabinet for when you do need it.

Other things I'm planning to include in my OOT bags are the free notepads, postcards, notebooks and pens from Vistaprint. I ordered Save the Dates magnets from there and for our little welcome note, we used the 'rack cards' from Vistaprint as well. Since they're free I've also ordered 'Bridesmaid' printed hats and stuff like that, and pay for the shipping. Canada Post is getting rich off me and my mom this year.

If I went to a DW, I wouldn't be disappointed that there was no bag of goodies, because I'd be enthralled with the idea of being on vacation. However, I would also be really appreciative if there was a bag of goodies. Just saying. rolleyes.gif

DramaticAnnie..I have to say, I agree with you. You made some excellent points. I want to have the OOT bags to supply a couple of things that our guests may have overlooked while packing. I am doing them per couple/family, with a couple of extra little things for the kids. But it really is, a token of appreciation, and I'm trying to resist putting everything that I see into them. I think that they should simply be what you could afford, they don't need to be extravagant. While I love the idea of including beach towels, it's just not in the budget. I also like the idea of including a personalized, hand written note in each thanking our guests. I hate to admit, but, I do enjoy looking for the bargains and trying to be creative and innovative with what goes in the bags, this may be the only part of the planning process that I'm actually enjoying!

• 2 weeks later...

Originally Posted by amyh View Post

I didn't do OOT bags. We gave out a ton of favors on the wedding day (fans, shot glasses, personalized tequila bottles, starfish, cd's, and hangover kits) which doubled for decor. I don't think anything is a must. I think a personal touch, such as a welcome letter can do just fine.

That's a really good idea

Our version of the OOT bag would be more of a primer that's sent out before the trip to get rid of the hassle of having to lug all that stuff as I would have loads of other things to bring with me.

I was thinking of including:

- a mini travel guide (including the itinerary and schedule, contact numbers and maps)

- discount coupons to tourist attraction or to local stores

- t-shirts printed with our wedding logo

- some postcards - one for us for our guest book  and two stamped postcards

- a pair of flip flops

- and these cute luggage tags:

17022bl_l.jpg