Jump to content


Question for Photographers!

  • Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 BN Fotografia

BN Fotografia
  • Jr. Member
  • 217 posts

    Posted 19 April 2009 - 12:20 AM

    It has been so interesting to read this thread. Thank you for starting it.
    When I started out shooting weddings in Canada, I gave my clients a disk of low res. images and charged for prints. My business model has changed quite a lot since starting a photographic business in Mexico - prehaps related to rapid turn around times (usually 24 hours-7 days) and a general change of business philosophy. I now include all edited high res. digital images in all packages so clients can print as often and as large as they want. I burn the photos to a DVD because of their higher capacity. In addition I include low res images so the client can easily email and upload photos to the internet for friends and family to view. Hope this helps.

    #22 jax_the_beach_bride

    • Jr. Member
    • 475 posts

      Posted 19 April 2009 - 12:33 AM

      Can i clerify something....

      when a photog offers a dvd of full res pics on it... can you print pics from that dvd and copy them onto ur comp i have been so confused by this.. and i thought that if it was on dvd that meant u could only look at the photos and not be able to print out or say put them on ur fbook... ??

      Mr. & Mrs. Reid
      All my life, I prayed for someone like you... and I thank God that I finally found you!


      #23 BN Fotografia

      BN Fotografia
      • Jr. Member
      • 217 posts

        Posted 19 April 2009 - 02:31 AM

        Hello Jax and Mark
        High res. photos are the equivalent to a negative. These days most (if not all) print labs accept CDs and DVDs as well as a number of other digital storage devices. The biggest difference between CDs and DVDs is the storage capacity - DVDs store more info. Yes, you can transfer photos from a DVD to your computer with ease. In terms of using your photos on Facebook, I would recommend 72dpi (standard for web) and 1024x768 pixels. Your photographer should be able to use their software program to resize your photos for web usage. Happy to help. (PS Love St. Catherines - have family just down the road. :-))

        #24 CrystalM

        • Member
        • 829 posts

          Posted 27 May 2009 - 11:36 AM

          I just wanted to point out on thing that a previous posted said that was incorrect.

          Photographers still own the copyright to their images no matter how you receive them, unless this is something you discussed with them. Digital or Negatives. Every wedding/ portrait photography contract I have ever seen states that photos are for personal use only and still belong to the photographer.

          This means go ahead and reprint as many copies as you want to hand out to friends and family, put them on Myspace and Facebook, make it your screensaver.

          What it does not mean - you can not use the image in advertising, on a CD cover, part of a promotional package, in a magazine, on a billboard. For this, you will need to talk to the photographer and usually, pay more money for usage rights.
          I have a fabulous photographer I can share in the United States Virgin Islands in late April/early MayP.M. if interested!http://img.weddingco....pvbh7hxc5u.png

          0 user(s) are reading this topic

          0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users