Dreams Puerto Aventuras Brides - POST HERE!

Thanks zahpeck, you definitely helped me decide on what OOT items I should be getting!

Just a couple questions for the brides who are a little further along in the planning process than I am, and also because my WC won't answer my emails!

-  Do you guys know what the options are for location of the cocktail hour? Is it possible to have it a Barracuda Bar, or would that consist of a rental fee for Barracuda?

-  Does anyone know if we have the choice of round tables vs. rectangular tables for the reception, as I plan on ordering table runners for round tables.

-  If we choose to have to reception by the adults only pool, are kids allowed over there for the wedding?

-  And lastly.............did your WC give you a schedule of when decisions need to be made by. eg. when we have to decide on our dinner menu, flowers..........

Ok so I don't expect you guys to have all the answers, but if anyone can share any of this info I would greatly appreciate it!

Hey Lindsay - Congrats on confirming your date! Didn't you go down for a site visit/vacation to DPA recently, how was it!?

Originally Posted by LindsayR View Post

Hey fellow DPA! Just got a confirmation from Jacki that we are booked for June 12, 2013 for our wedding!! Such a relief to finally have the date and time secured!! Can't wait!!

Welcome to the thread Julie! When I booked at DPA I honestly read through this entire thread and found the answers to sooooo many questions! Other brides who have/had Jacki seem to really like her. My WC (Sandra) on the other hand never answers my emails which can be frustrating, but I'm trying not to be a bridezilla about it :)

Originally Posted by Julie Carson View Post

Awesome! I've been working with Jacki too, my wedding is August 14th 2012.

Hey Allie!

We are getting married in 2 months! Woop woop! time is flying by,.....

Anyone else out there getting married the week of February 5-12???

I am being patient and even though Sandra as slowed down with her process time, she has given me almost everything I have asked for. They really are accommodating. If you ask for it, demand it (in a nice way), they usually give in! :)

Breakdown of our day:

40 guests. Ceremony is at 3 (i really wanted it at 5, until i realized the sun sets at 530 and there wont be enough light for photos afterwards. I am a wedding photographer myself, so the photos are kind of important to me lol. So our only other option was 3pm.) Then after the ceremony we will take formal photos with family and guests, mingle have champagne on the beach - then at 4:00 we will head off to do wedding group photos.
Cocktail hour 4:15-5:15, for the guests. then Reception starts at 530 (find your table, sit down, get a drink), Dinner starts at 5:45/6pm, Speeches/Toasts etc 7:15, first dance 730. Party gets started till 1130 *we are paying extra to dance away. i didnt want to go to a club on my wedding day, and figured ill be beat by 1130! lol

I am not doing the legal ceremony, as I didnt want to get the blood work, and pay $400 for the judge then the paper work afterwards> just seemed like a lot of hoops. Im not letting Canada decide when my anniversary is! A piece of paper doesnt make it legal in my eyes, just in my countries...So,  Sandra put me in touch with the minister that will be doing the ceremony, and hes been great. Asked me what tone i wanted the ceremony to be etc.

Hair/Makeup: Styling Trio (I am still worried about my hair, cause im really picky about hair styles...But Adrian (who does the makeup) has been AMAZING at corresponding with me. Gave me amazing deals, and has put me at ease. I trust his work in makeup, hes great. I just need to stop worrying about the hair do :)

Dj:Doreemix

Photographer:Sascha Gluck

To answer your questions:

- I am not 100% sure about other cocktail hour locations. I too requested for Barracuda Bar, and have not been told that is extra. I believe other guests of the hotel can be there at that time thought, its not private. This might be the only place they HAVE their cocktail hour too, not 100% sure....

-I believe you have the choice of tables. I told her i wanted rounds, and she said they seat up to 10. I have seen photos of rectangle tables, from DPA as well, so im sure its up to you.

-We are having our reception by the adult pool as well, and NO kids are allowed there. We chose that location, because we dont have any kids joining us. She has mentioned this a few times to me.

-About 4 months before my wedding date, Sandra sent me a pdf with stuff to fill out and she told me what stuff she needed by when. Example: what food, etc. They really dont NEED things until pretty close to your date, im gathering. Ive read that when you get there and you have your sit down meeting with your coordinator, they go through everything. You go look at locations too, to make your final decisions. they get it done, dont worry. (at least, this is what im told too! lol)

Ive read somewhere on this forum that you actually get to look through a book of flowers when you get there, if you havent already decided. I sent her photos of my bouquet and what I want exactly. 

Hope this helps. Any other questions I can answer, let me know!!!!

Originally Posted by Allie2012 View Post

Thanks zahpeck, you definitely helped me decide on what OOT items I should be getting!

Just a couple questions for the brides who are a little further along in the planning process than I am, and also because my WC won't answer my emails!

-  Do you guys know what the options are for location of the cocktail hour? Is it possible to have it a Barracuda Bar, or would that consist of a rental fee for Barracuda?

-  Does anyone know if we have the choice of round tables vs. rectangular tables for the reception, as I plan on ordering table runners for round tables.

-  If we choose to have to reception by the adults only pool, are kids allowed over there for the wedding?

-  And lastly.............did your WC give you a schedule of when decisions need to be made by. eg. when we have to decide on our dinner menu, flowers..........

Ok so I don't expect you guys to have all the answers, but if anyone can share any of this info I would greatly appreciate it!

604bride2be thank you so much for your response!!! So exciting that your wedding is in 2 months! It sounds like you have everything well planned out :)

I guess I have just been getting frustrated because I have sent Sandra 3 emails over the past 2 months and have not received any response. I have been trying to ask her about the change in policy re: hiring an external photographer as other brides have said that their WC told them that all they need is a day pass now. I'm starting to think that maybe they lost my information and confirmation of date or something! 

We are getting married at 5pm, but I think it gets dark later in the day in May? I'll have to check that out to be sure though, because my photographer did say to allow for at least 2 hours of light to take pictures.

We will have 4 kids attending our wedding, so it's too bad that we won't be able to have our reception at the adults only pool terrace :(

Did Sandra happen to send you any pictures of different locations/set-ups around the resort? If so do you think you could email it to me? allison.burns@utoronto.ca

Again thank you so much for taking the time to answer my questions :)

Originally Posted by 604bride2be View Post

Hey Allie!

We are getting married in 2 months! Woop woop! time is flying by,.....

Anyone else out there getting married the week of February 5-12???

I am being patient and even though Sandra as slowed down with her process time, she has given me almost everything I have asked for. They really are accommodating. If you ask for it, demand it (in a nice way), they usually give in! :)

Breakdown of our day:

40 guests. Ceremony is at 3 (i really wanted it at 5, until i realized the sun sets at 530 and there wont be enough light for photos afterwards. I am a wedding photographer myself, so the photos are kind of important to me lol. So our only other option was 3pm.) Then after the ceremony we will take formal photos with family and guests, mingle have champagne on the beach - then at 4:00 we will head off to do wedding group photos.
Cocktail hour 4:15-5:15, for the guests. then Reception starts at 530 (find your table, sit down, get a drink), Dinner starts at 5:45/6pm, Speeches/Toasts etc 7:15, first dance 730. Party gets started till 1130 *we are paying extra to dance away. i didnt want to go to a club on my wedding day, and figured ill be beat by 1130! lol

I am not doing the legal ceremony, as I didnt want to get the blood work, and pay $400 for the judge then the paper work afterwards> just seemed like a lot of hoops. Im not letting Canada decide when my anniversary is! A piece of paper doesnt make it legal in my eyes, just in my countries...So,  Sandra put me in touch with the minister that will be doing the ceremony, and hes been great. Asked me what tone i wanted the ceremony to be etc.

Hair/Makeup: Styling Trio (I am still worried about my hair, cause im really picky about hair styles...But Adrian (who does the makeup) has been AMAZING at corresponding with me. Gave me amazing deals, and has put me at ease. I trust his work in makeup, hes great. I just need to stop worrying about the hair do :)

Dj:Doreemix

Photographer:Sascha Gluck

To answer your questions:

- I am not 100% sure about other cocktail hour locations. I too requested for Barracuda Bar, and have not been told that is extra. I believe other guests of the hotel can be there at that time thought, its not private. This might be the only place they HAVE their cocktail hour too, not 100% sure....

-I believe you have the choice of tables. I told her i wanted rounds, and she said they seat up to 10. I have seen photos of rectangle tables, from DPA as well, so im sure its up to you.

-We are having our reception by the adult pool as well, and NO kids are allowed there. We chose that location, because we dont have any kids joining us. She has mentioned this a few times to me.

-About 4 months before my wedding date, Sandra sent me a pdf with stuff to fill out and she told me what stuff she needed by when. Example: what food, etc. They really dont NEED things until pretty close to your date, im gathering. Ive read that when you get there and you have your sit down meeting with your coordinator, they go through everything. You go look at locations too, to make your final decisions. they get it done, dont worry. (at least, this is what im told too! lol)

Ive read somewhere on this forum that you actually get to look through a book of flowers when you get there, if you havent already decided. I sent her photos of my bouquet and what I want exactly. 

Hope this helps. Any other questions I can answer, let me know!!!!

All great stuff to hear! Thats great that you met Jacki. I have been so happy with how fast she gets back to me on emails. I have done so much research about the different locations I feel like I could be a riviera maya resort expert now :) Things I have questions/worries about....

I hope the beach is ok. I've read bad reviews that it is really rocky.

I hope there isn't too many kids. I really wanted an adults only resort but we have 2 kids attending so we had to pick a family friendly resort, but I was excited about the adults only pool. Reception locations...

I would love to see more pictures of reception options. I think we are leaning towards the banquet room as long it is pretty enough. Our wedding is in August and we wanted AC so it'd be comfortable to dance and and be comfortable.

Any thoughts on a DJ? I wanted one but our guest list growing (around 40) and that puts the price of the wedding up more than  had expected.

What kind of decorations or gifts for guests is everyone bringing?

Happy Planning!

Julie

Carsonjulie@live.com

All great stuff to hear! Thats great that you met Jacki. I have been so happy with how fast she gets back to me on emails. I have done so much research about the different locations I feel like I could be a riviera maya resort expert now :) Things I have questions/worries about....

I hope the beach is ok. I've read bad reviews that it is really rocky.

I hope there isn't too many kids. I really wanted an adults only resort but we have 2 kids attending so we had to pick a family friendly resort, but I was excited about the adults only pool. Reception locations...

I would love to see more pictures of reception options. I think we are leaning towards the banquet room as long it is pretty enough. Our wedding is in August and we wanted AC so it'd be comfortable to dance and and be comfortable.

Any thoughts on a DJ? I wanted one but our guest list growing (around 40) and that puts the price of the wedding up more than  had expected.

What kind of decorations or gifts for guests is everyone bringing?

Happy Planning!

Julie

Carsonjulie@live.com

I will look through what photos she has sent me and email you....but i remember not getting exactly what I was looking for when I asked her...They are kind of generic photographs. But i will look anyway!

If i were you I'd email this person : hsommer@dreamsresorts.com, His name is Hagen Sommer, their supervisor I believe. Just tell him you are not getting a response back and its been 2 months.Tell him your a frustrated, that you understand your wedding is a few months away but that you shouldn't have to wait 2 months to get a reply back. Wait to see what he says to you, but I'd bet you'll get an answer pretty quick......

I asked to speak with him when I was having an issue a few months back when they kept changing the WC's on me, that's why i have his email.

Sandra took about a month to get back to me, a few weeks ago, so I emailed her saying I was getting impatient with the lack of responding, and I CC'd Hagen in that email and I got a response that day from her, LOL. Sometimes you gotta light fire under their butts.  SO in the FUTURE, if it something urgent, i'd do the same.
They are SUPER busy, and have people messaging everyday, AND weddings -- but thats ridiculous to wait that long.

I too am only paying a day pass for my Photographer and DJ. I just straight up said im not paying the over night pass, and she said okay. It seems like they will TRY anything just to get more money from you, but its okay to negotiate and ask for it cheaper or even not pay at all (depending on how ridiculous the cost is!)

Question:  are confirmed for your wedding date?? 

Originally Posted by Allie2012 View Post

604bride2be thank you so much for your response!!! So exciting that your wedding is in 2 months! It sounds like you have everything well planned out :)

I guess I have just been getting frustrated because I have sent Sandra 3 emails over the past 2 months and have not received any response. I have been trying to ask her about the change in policy re: hiring an external photographer as other brides have said that their WC told them that all they need is a day pass now. I'm starting to think that maybe they lost my information and confirmation of date or something! 

We are getting married at 5pm, but I think it gets dark later in the day in May? I'll have to check that out to be sure though, because my photographer did say to allow for at least 2 hours of light to take pictures.

We will have 4 kids attending our wedding, so it's too bad that we won't be able to have our reception at the adults only pool terrace :(

Did Sandra happen to send you any pictures of different locations/set-ups around the resort? If so do you think you could email it to me? allison.burns@utoronto.ca

Again thank you so much for taking the time to answer my questions :)