Diva Cup / Instead Cup - tampon / pad alternative

• Please log in to reply
155 replies to this topic

#71 Jacqueline

Jacqueline
  • VIP Member
  • 3,160 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 12:09 PM

good question abbie. when i try it i am going to do it at home first jic!

a girl i graduated with, her mom died of tss. supposidly that is why they started putting the tss warning on tampons. i also think they changed the materials in it that caused tss. my bf used to hang out with her in hs and told me that. i wonder if its true. crazy if it is.

#72 Jessica

Jessica
    • VIP Member
    • 11,939 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 12:22 PM

Random thoughts:

Some people actually still do use sea sponges! There are actually a LOT of alternatives to mainstream sanitary products. Some of them are more eco-friendly than others.but almost all of them are waaaaaay better alternatives than the mainstream market ones.

For those weary of the Diva Cup or who prefer pads, look into Lunapads: Lunapads International Home Page

Here's some others I've tried:
      Sponge
      All Natural Mamas Natural Sea Sponge Tampons: Sea Pearls

This is what I use. I'm personally more into the issue of toxins than the issue of lessening trash in the environment which is why I use these.
      Organic Tampons -Natural Tampons -Organic Cotton Tampons | Seventh Generation

For the person who leaves their tampon in longer just because it doesn't get full as fast.... I would advise against this because prolonged exposure can lead to TSS, which is not fun at all.

#73 ErinB

ErinB

VIP Member

• VIP Member
      • 9,504 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 12:22 PM

There's a company that makes nautral, re-useable pads & liners Lunapads: Value Priced Lunapads Kits

One company also sells a special pot to sterilize things in. I don't know if it is specail or just small...

#74 Jacqueline

Jacqueline
        • VIP Member
        • 3,160 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 12:57 PM

Quote:
          Originally Posted by JessicaLovesBrian

This is what I use. I'm personally more into the issue of toxins than the issue of lessening trash in the environment which is why I use these.
          Organic Tampons -Natural Tampons -Organic Cotton Tampons | Seventh Generation

For the person who leaves their tampon in longer just because it doesn't get full as fast.... I would advise against this because prolonged exposure can lead to TSS, which is not fun at all.
          those organic ones sound pretty good.

i have to admit, i am guilty of leaving my tampon in WAY longer than one should, but b/c im a full fledge scatter brain moron and i forget. ORRR worse, ill put a second one in WHILE the first one is still there. ek i know, its gross. theres a story there but i'll spare u the details.

#75 boscobel

boscobel
          • VIP Member
          • 24,213 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 12:59 PM

OMG, I did that once or twice, Jac! I thought I was the only fool that could do it, so yay for us fools! We are not alone!

#76 Jacqueline

Jacqueline
            • VIP Member
            • 3,160 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 01:05 PM

Quote:
              Originally Posted by carly
              OMG, I did that once or twice, Jac! I thought I was the only fool that could do it, so yay for us fools! We are not alone!
              gurrrllll i knew we were friends for a reason ;o)

the last time i did that was scarey though, i actually got pains when i realized what i did- 2 days later...(um yeah - duce days) i gotta be more responsible !! i forget things all the time, god be with me when i have a child. not even a joke.

#77 boscobel

boscobel
              • VIP Member
              • 24,213 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 01:20 PM

OMG, you had two tampons in for two days! Oy.

I didn't notice I had done it until trying to take it out, it hurt bad. Thankfully, it hasn't happened recently.

#78 rodent

rodent

VIP Member

• VIP Member
                • 18,759 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 01:36 PM

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by Jacqueline
                  those organic ones sound pretty good.

i have to admit, i am guilty of leaving my tampon in WAY longer than one should, but b/c im a full fledge scatter brain moron and i forget. ORRR worse, ill put a second one in WHILE the first one is still there. ek i know, its gross. theres a story there but i'll spare u the details.
                  i left one in for weeks once. i've also put two in. the nice thing with a diva cup is you know if it's in or not. you can just look to see if it's in the case. I always get so paranoid that i still have a tampon in. a good thing to know is that after time they find their own way out. i'll avoid getting graphic.

i think i'm going to order one of these. they are $23 on amazon. Even though I had a bad experience with the instead cup, i'll give this a try.

#79 ErinB

ErinB

VIP Member

• VIP Member
                  • 9,504 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 01:39 PM

Some of my friends make fun of me because I have this huge fear of TSS. I know it is a rare condition, but it freaks me out. I won't even sleep in a tampon.

#80 rodent

rodent

VIP Member

• VIP Member
                    • 18,759 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 01:50 PM

OK I'm giving it a try. It was $20 shipped from iherb.com. i looked them up on resellerratings.com & it's legit.

i'll stick to using it at home until I feel comfortable with it. i hope it works for me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users