Sign in to follow this  
boscobel

Diva Cup / Instead Cup - tampon / pad alternative

WOW - Diva Cup - Schmeeva Cup...this thread is a trip!

Michelle - what kind of pill are you on so you don't have a period?? I want it!

I am SO dreading the thought of Aunt Flo coming to my wedding! Mother Nature pawned her ass off on me on our last vacation - and she didn't leave until the day before we left! That Biotch better stay far away this time!

This whole thing reminds me to call my Dr to see what I can do.

I hate tampons and pads too! The one time I tried a tampon, I got SO SICK. I don't know if I put it in wrong or what, but I got a fever, cramps, a dull achy feeling, cold sweat...It was NOT good. I've never tried them since. Sorry if TMI.

I've been using the Diva Cup for a few months now and so far, so good. It took a few tries to get it in right, but once you get the hang of it, it's easy! I also didn't like the idea of putting bleached cotton (tampons) in my body and emptying the DC really isn't as gross as it sounds. lalala.gif

This site also helped...if you want more "visuals"! There are different ways of folding it to get it in... Menstrual Cups - Keeper, Divacup, Mooncup, Instead, Lunette - Folding techniques

Another plus is that there is no risk of TSS...

So many opinions in such a little time! Faithful users, curious ladies, and the grossed out. Fun times this thread!

I was going to multi-quote, but there were like a million, so I am going to try to condense all my comments....

First of all, I am SO glad to see so many girls that use it and are happy with it! I think I will give it the 100% try next month. Maybe.... And if it is still uncomfortable, I can try to trim the stem.

Rach and Morgan - I busted out laughing at you two with the bigger then 2"? And Morgan then describing how. hhahahahahaaa

Glenda - I think it doesn't cause infection cuz you are washing it? Really, I am not that knowledgable about it yet, but I have heard only good things from users.

Angel - The whole public bathroom thing grossed me out too. I mean, if I am honest, the whole thing grosses me out. But due to the "green" threads on here, it made me aware of how much I DON'T do for the environment. And I've had the DC for like a year now, and if I can just switch to that, then there's a contribution on my part to being "green". Not at all trying to be preachy, just saying that I don't do much else, so if I can do this, I might as well try, kwim? (SO funny that you found a video!! hahahaa)

Jenn - I kinda thought the same thing about tampons (being aware of them), but it was so long ago, I couldn't really compare the feeling. Interesting to know that DC lets you return if the size is wrong though!

JaimeLynne - it is truly green, since you are eliminating the waste, but I totally understand that this isn't for everyone. I am not even sure it's for ME yet!

futureeilen - I thought I read in the little booklet that you still had to be aware of TSS due to the bacteria (or whatever) that causes it. I will have to check that out, cuz I swore it said that....

Edited to add: TSS - FAQs - DivaCup

Q. What about Toxic Shock Syndrome (TSS)?

A.

Toxic Shock Syndrome (TSS) is considered a serious and sometimes fatal disease caused by toxin-producing strains of the Staphylococcus aureus bacterium. TSS has been linked to high absorbency and prolonged use of tampons. There are now regulations in labeling for tampon absorbency to decrease the risk of TSS.

Symptoms of TSS often mimic the flu and can include sudden high fever, vomiting, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, or a rash that looks like a sunburn during your period or a few days after.

If you have had TSS, do not use a menstrual cup. As with any gynecological concern, please consult your physician.

Wow! I just read this entire thread! It's been a productive morning, LOL.

I'd heard of the Diva Cup and these reusable cloth pads before. I am on crazy medication right now, so I haven't had a period in 2 years! I will have to stop using this soon, so there isn't permanent damage, and I am not looking forward to starting again. My periods were always unpredictable, so who knows what the hell will happen now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoontobeMrsE View Post
W
Michelle - what kind of pill are you on so you don't have a period?? I want it!
I'm on Seasonale, you can actually get 4 periods a year with it. My doc said that you don't need to have one, but that some women prefer to have some. I was like why? So she said I can just start a new 3 pack when I'm supposed to start the sugar pills. THe first month of taking the pill I was miserable. My boobs hurt all the time and were swollen and I had horrible cramps. I usually have really bad cramps when I get my period, but this was way worse. I haven't had any issues since then so I think my body was just getting used to it.

Hm, interesting. I have to say that when I first started reading I wanted to puke. HOWEVER, can't knock it till ya try it, right?! I'll look for them and once I do use them I'll post my thoughts. I do like that it's better for enviorment. Note to self- do not tell Joe I can still have sex with them! I like using my flow time as an "excuse" ;o) AH so not nice but whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoLo908 View Post
I had never heard of this Diva Cup... what a creative name... it should come with lipstick or something... lol
hahah that is funny!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carly View Post

futureeilen - I thought I read in the little booklet that you still had to be aware of TSS due to the bacteria (or whatever) that causes it. I will have to check that out, cuz I swore it said that....

Edited to add: TSS - FAQs - DivaCupâ„¢
Q. What about Toxic Shock Syndrome (TSS)?
A.
Toxic Shock Syndrome (TSS) is considered a serious and sometimes fatal disease caused by toxin-producing strains of the Staphylococcus aureus bacterium. TSS has been linked to high absorbency and prolonged use of tampons. There are now regulations in labeling for tampon absorbency to decrease the risk of TSS.

Symptoms of TSS often mimic the flu and can include sudden high fever, vomiting, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, or a rash that looks like a sunburn during your period or a few days after.

If you have had TSS, do not use a menstrual cup. As with any gynecological concern, please consult your physician.
Carly - I read that in the booklet, too. I took it as "you can't get TSS from this, but you can get it from tampons. If you've had TSS, do not use the Diva Cup." Did I misinterpret that?? smile124.gif

No, I think you are right! I didn't at first, but I researched it and edited my post to add what DC says. Which, I think is that it doesn't cause TSS, but you shouldn't use it if you have/has it previously. So that's another +!