Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Michelle

Any other 2010 Brides out there????

Recommended Posts

muscle.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirminghamBride2010 View Post
I am getting married in May 2010 and I cannot wait! We have picked Isla Mujeres, Mexico. It seems like 2010 is so far away, but Im sure it will be here before we know it. Plus it gives everyone time to SAVE SAVE SAVE.....
Hey! You're getting married on Isla the week after us! What all have you decided on yet?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Im also a 2010 bride. We just got engaged two weeks ago and wanted to have a fall wedding. Fall 2009 just seemed to close.. so we chose to go with a 2010 wedding instead. Gives plenty of time to save some money!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillysBride View Post
muscle.gif

Hey! You're getting married on Isla the week after us! What all have you decided on yet?
We have decided the colors, location, place to stay and that's about it. We are seeking the help of a wedding planner there on the island. We are staying at Ixchel Beach Condos. We know a owner of a couple of condos and she is really nice. We decided againt the all inclusive because we really wanted to get out and explore the island. Plus its not expensive at all to go downtown and eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner, plus happy hour drinks!!
We are going to use the area in front of buhos's to have the ceremony/reception.
I am getting excited.
Have you decided where you are going to have your ceremony?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Birmingham! I know what you mean about Isla..we're booking the Avalon, but not doing the all inclusive and advising our guests not to book AI either. The ceremony will be in the gazebo overlooking the water on the north side I believe. There are just too many cheap dining options in town and such a short distance away. We picked the Avalon because it's way affordable and our biggest concern has been keeping down costs for our families. We're working with the coordinator though because I'm not thrilled with what I've heard about the rooms in the main hotel and everyone suggests the Studio Villa's so we're trying to book a room block of those and they are really nice!

 

Most of the room rates even without AI still come with breakfast, so I thought that would be nice for the guests who want to get up, grab a bite and get out and about and still have the option of eating the rest of their meals in town. I can't wait to rent a golf cart and explore the island! That was one of the biggest draws for us, how it seems like it's own private island away from the insanity of Cancun. We aren't ones to want to be surrounded by constant activity, so Isla seems perfect for us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillysBride View Post
Hey Birmingham! I know what you mean about Isla..we're booking the Avalon, but not doing the all inclusive and advising our guests not to book AI either. The ceremony will be in the gazebo overlooking the water on the north side I believe. There are just too many cheap dining options in town and such a short distance away. We picked the Avalon because it's way affordable and our biggest concern has been keeping down costs for our families. We're working with the coordinator though because I'm not thrilled with what I've heard about the rooms in the main hotel and everyone suggests the Studio Villa's so we're trying to book a room block of those and they are really nice!

Most of the room rates even without AI still come with breakfast, so I thought that would be nice for the guests who want to get up, grab a bite and get out and about and still have the option of eating the rest of their meals in town. I can't wait to rent a golf cart and explore the island! That was one of the biggest draws for us, how it seems like it's own private island away from the insanity of Cancun. We aren't ones to want to be surrounded by constant activity, so Isla seems perfect for us.
I think it will be the perfect place for us as well. Not to busy, but if we wanna go over to cancun we have the option to do so.
Have you already started purchasing thing to go in your OTT bags? I want to start so bad, but I feel like its SOOO early. I did order a sample of the .99 cents bags from cheaptotes. Can't decide if I like it or not. I did purchase some monongrams to use.
Do you have a wedding coordinator? There are a couple on the island I believe, but the Avalon probably will make you use their WC.
Will you are your husband still be on the island May 13?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirminghamBride2010 View Post
I think it will be the perfect place for us as well. Not to busy, but if we wanna go over to cancun we have the option to do so.
Have you already started purchasing thing to go in your OTT bags? I want to start so bad, but I feel like its SOOO early. I did order a sample of the .99 cents bags from cheaptotes. Can't decide if I like it or not. I did purchase some monongrams to use.
Do you have a wedding coordinator? There are a couple on the island I believe, but the Avalon probably will make you use their WC.
Will you are your husband still be on the island May 13?
Hey, we should probably still be there! We haven't decided how long we'll try to take our honeymoon for. If we are, we DEFINITELY have to meet up! Be so cool to meet another BDW bride on her wedding trip!

You know, I'm going through the same thing..I've been on discount sites and Ebay for the past four or five days, barely holding myself back from buying stuff for my bags! I'm so glad to hear I'm not the only one...it's fun to mentally put 'em together even though I know they are usually the very last thing people get around to doing before they leave! haha

I know what bags I'm getting, and I found the PERFECT tissue paper to go inside them. I had been debating getting yellow/gold bags with chocolate piping around the edges vs. just chocolate/coffee colored bags (my colors are chocolate, ivory and gold). Then it hit me today that I should just get chocolate bags and put gold tissue paper inside.lol..I found the PERFECT marble ivory and gold tissue paper..it's insane. So I did go ahead and buy that because I figure it's rare and I haven't seen it before so I didn't want to take any chances.

I just started contacting some travel agents and I've talked with the resort coordinator a couple of times (one via email, one on the phone). She has promised to get pricing to me in the next couple of weeks and sent some prelim questions for me to get back to her, which ofcourse I did as soon as I opened the damn email. lol Guess we're all just at that stage where we wann DO something, but there just isn't much we CAN do.

Oh, I did find a dress TODAY! Is that insane or what? I'd had the idea of what kind of style I wanted and even put money down on one previously (we had planned a date this year, but lots of things happened in our families to make it unworkable), but I saw this Sophia Tolli dress online over the weekend, then just got a wild hair to do an Ebay search today...it was there! Brand new, in a bridal shop trying to get rid of some of its 2007 inventory! It retails for like $1200 but I got it today for $199! It's Ivory with some metallic gold detailing so it will go with my colors perfectly! I'm still in schock.

OK, sorry for the insanely bubbly long post...it's just great to talk to someone whose where I am and GOING where I'm going. haha!

Catch me up on what you've been thinking so far. I need to look up your ceremony site.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

savannah that sounds like an AMAZING deal on your dress! thank goodness for ebay! you will have to let us all know when you get it and how it looks!

 

questions for you ladies with dates earlier in 2010... have you been able to start getting your guests booked and have your airfare prices been okay so far? i'm sooo anxious to get prices and get everyone rolling so i just want to know what i'm in for! i JUST started my DIY boarding pass invites too and i hate waiting for prices to send them out... patience is overrated!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillysBride View Post
Hey, we should probably still be there! We haven't decided how long we'll try to take our honeymoon for. If we are, we DEFINITELY have to meet up! Be so cool to meet another BDW bride on her wedding trip!

You know, I'm going through the same thing..I've been on discount sites and Ebay for the past four or five days, barely holding myself back from buying stuff for my bags! I'm so glad to hear I'm not the only one...it's fun to mentally put 'em together even though I know they are usually the very last thing people get around to doing before they leave! haha

I know what bags I'm getting, and I found the PERFECT tissue paper to go inside them. I had been debating getting yellow/gold bags with chocolate piping around the edges vs. just chocolate/coffee colored bags (my colors are chocolate, ivory and gold). Then it hit me today that I should just get chocolate bags and put gold tissue paper inside.lol..I found the PERFECT marble ivory and gold tissue paper..it's insane. So I did go ahead and buy that because I figure it's rare and I haven't seen it before so I didn't want to take any chances.

I just started contacting some travel agents and I've talked with the resort coordinator a couple of times (one via email, one on the phone). She has promised to get pricing to me in the next couple of weeks and sent some prelim questions for me to get back to her, which ofcourse I did as soon as I opened the damn email. lol Guess we're all just at that stage where we wann DO something, but there just isn't much we CAN do.

Oh, I did find a dress TODAY! Is that insane or what? I'd had the idea of what kind of style I wanted and even put money down on one previously (we had planned a date this year, but lots of things happened in our families to make it unworkable), but I saw this Sophia Tolli dress online over the weekend, then just got a wild hair to do an Ebay search today...it was there! Brand new, in a bridal shop trying to get rid of some of its 2007 inventory! It retails for like $1200 but I got it today for $199! It's Ivory with some metallic gold detailing so it will go with my colors perfectly! I'm still in schock.

OK, sorry for the insanely bubbly long post...it's just great to talk to someone whose where I am and GOING where I'm going. haha!

Catch me up on what you've been thinking so far. I need to look up your ceremony site.

I don't mind at all. I am so jealous you found a dress already. I am still "looking". Like I have posted before, I want a maggie dress, but i dont have to have one. I am getting married on the beach right before the sun goes down. My guys are going really casual, linen pants and long sleeve shirts, so I dont want my dress to be formal looking. I wanna be comfortable too!! I need something that will move with me, especially since I will be walking in the sand all night. I want something simple flowing, something I can dance in and have fun all night. I saw a nicole miller that I liked. I found a maggie that was simple. I went to this website called edressme.com and they had a couple cute white dresses. I dont wanna pay a lot of money for it cause I am still unsure if I want to do a TTD session.
Have you decided about your hair? I would like to do braids, but I will probably just curl my hair and put a pretty flower in it.
The website of the WC who will be helping me is Weddings Isla Mujeres Mexico, Your seaside wedding is customized, wedding parties, or intimate private ceremonies, creativity and ambience for the perfect wedding experience..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebredhawk View Post
savannah that sounds like an AMAZING deal on your dress! thank goodness for ebay! you will have to let us all know when you get it and how it looks!

questions for you ladies with dates earlier in 2010... have you been able to start getting your guests booked and have your airfare prices been okay so far? i'm sooo anxious to get prices and get everyone rolling so i just want to know what i'm in for! i JUST started my DIY boarding pass invites too and i hate waiting for prices to send them out... patience is overrated!
As far as I know, airfares for...like through mid February are out, but not anything beyond that. I did a search the other night out of sheer boredom, trying to see what things look like. The wierd part is that they always claim the further out you book, the better off you are, but I dont know if that's necessarily true. Granted, you can't depend on late deals, but still....I don't think 90 days out or so is really "late". The only thing that would keep me from waiting that long is if we were booking a package deal and needed to confirm room types in advance. Dunno..it's all so much to try to be mindful of.

Birmingham- I was sooooo determined to have a Maggie. I love her dresses and they are so flattering on all body types (I'm one that wants that extra suckage for the waistline:)). The one I ended up getting isn't quite a Maggie, but the designer was head designer for Maggie Sottero for ten years...so I count it as one. Definitely looks very similar to her style and has the corset back.

Oh, and there are soooo many girls here on the forum who wore all kinds of dresses with their grooms not in suits. My guys are wearing linen pants and long sleeved shirts too! And my dress isn't poofy but it's definitely wedding'ish. Wear whatever you want! The only thing I'm really worried about is the heat..I loathe being hot, I swear I do. (yea, why is this chick going to Mexico? lol) and I definitely "glow" in the heat...in layman's terms, thats SWEAT. So I'm checking out the boards here for all kinds of tips and tricks on how to deal. I don't *think* the dress will be stifling, but it's hard to tell.

Maggie has lots of simple dresses and you should check out the Sophia Tolli site!Wedding dresses and designer bridal gowns by Sophia Tolli I think the best thing to do is always find the style you like and then start bargain hunting. I just got to the point where I knew I couldn't/wouldn't pay full price for a gown if I could help it..they are so freakin expensive! And I'm a complete amateur about what's expensive and what's not, so I honestly didn't care about the label. I just liked Maggie's because of the fit. But yea, Ebay, bestbridalprices.com, thebridalshop.com...they all have great deals.

Hair...ugh. I don't know. On the one hand, I want it up with lots of dangly, whispy tendrils hanging down. That would be cooler for sure. On the other hand, I want it wild and wavy/curly...that could be hot AND hot-sexy. lol Are you an AA bride too? We had a whole thread going for a while last year about Afr. Amer brides and hair..it got in depth. lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  


  • Best Destination Wedding Sponsors



    Facebook Pinterest Google+ Twitter
  • Posts

    • we ended up using Facebook messenger when we were in Mexico - the hotel had free wifi and at least 1 person from each family/couple had FB on their phone already - it was pretty easy to communicate among guests "hey, we're heading to the beach bbq for lunch." or "everyone is hanging at the small pool today".  a plus was that some people tried to get a hold of me via FB on the day of the wedding and I was totally not checking my phone - they were asking if the wedding was outside given the rain forecast, thankful my mom, MOH and a few other friends were on the group and could respond for me :) 
    • Are you looking for a guide where you’ll find many tips and steps to follow to make your wedding a success? We design a special for you, where you will find: Photography Tips To-Do List Check list How to choose the best dress? Memories and invitations And much more! Download it now for free from: http://emweddings.com/WeddingGuide/index.html     Don’t stress. Enjoy every moment, tomorrow will be your best memories. See you soon!
    • Another option is to find an app that allows for group talk. This Wedding Party App looks pretty neat. https://apracticalwedding.com/wedding-party-app/ 
    • Hi Everyone, So, I was cleaning out my closet and realized that I never sold off my extra wedding OOT bag stuff from our wonderful DW.   46 Daily Spanish for Dummies 30 Pool colored OOT fabric bags - approximately 13in x 13in. They lay flat.  I used them for our wedding and they were perfect for everything we needed to fit in each bag. There’s a slight shade variation in the group; I’m guessing some were cut from a different bolt of fabric.  They are also a little wrinkled from storage and will probably be wrinkled from shipping. I have three additional ones, but they somehow got something on them (likely toddler related). If needed, I can try to wash it out and send those as well. 
    • I’m getting married in six months to my foreign girlfriend. I was advised by a friend that one of the things I need to do before saying I do is to get a prenuptial agreement. Basically it’s supposed to protect my assets and properties in case my relationship with my future wife goes down the drain. I don’t know though if this is an acceptable practice when marrying Kiev ladies. I don’t want to do it if it would be insulting on her end. I need advice on this. Please help me.
  • Topics

×