Sign in to follow this  
Jacqueline

David Yurman necklace ruined :o(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilpaisley View Post
I own a vintage jewelry store and I can tell you I have seen many items that were tarnished beyond what you would think was savable come back to life with a little elbow grease.

I don't know much about David Yurman in particular, but there are many modern jewelry companies that are now coating their metals in an anti-tarnish. You used to see this coating allot in the 60s and 70s on copper jewelry pieces like those by Renoir Matisse. This is why you donâ€t want to use a jewelry cleaner on the items, just a sofy polishing cloth. The cleaner damages the coating making it look worse than before. I also not a big fan of most of those jewelry cleaners that they sell in Dept. stores and places like Kays, Zale, etc. Allot of those cleaners are very toxic, and in my opinion too harsh. If you like the dip cleaners make sure it is a pearl safe cleaner like Jewel Brite. If itâ€s not pearl safe…donâ€t bother.

Now on to your necklace. The one over the counter thing you might try is Tarn-X. You can get it at most grocery store and places like Target. I use this in my shop on the heavily tarnished pieces with allot of luck. Read the instructions and make sure to wear gloves. Donâ€t use it if you pieces has any stones, enamel work, or artificially oxidized silver. If tarn-X wonâ€t work for you, then try a silver paste polish. Youâ€ll need allot of elbow grease for this method, but I have put a felt polishing wheel on my Dremel and used it with the paste with a light touch (caution, you can cause polish marks with this method if not careful).

If you want to send me a pic of the piece I might be able to get a better idea of what is going on and have some more suggestions. I'm kris at lilpaisley dot com

thanks SO much, ill def go look for the jewel bright stuff. heres a pic of what it looks like.. let me know if dont work...

David Yurman: Men's Necklaces & Chains: Thoroughbred Cross Necklace

OMG! I'm so sorry. I would def take it to a jeweler. They may be able to help. Some times...I clean my silver with Toothpaste :) I know it sounds silly but in a pinch it works. Best of luck to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilpaisley View Post
If you want to send me a pic of the piece I might be able to get a better idea of what is going on and have some more suggestions. I'm kris at lilpaisley dot com
i just realized u prob meant send a pic of ACTUAL piece so you can see the tarnish on it. ill def try to do this and pm you the pic, thx again!!!!!

SAH- i did hear toothpaste too! im so afraid to try anything haah

I take my stuff to the DY store, do you have one of these? I would also take your credit card statement to Bloomies to see if they can do something if you don't have access to the DY store. I know with Nordies there is a no limit return policy and they keep all my jewlery purchases on file so I would think Bloomies would be able to look it up.