Photo

What have I learned from planning a destination wedding?

• Please log in to reply
168 replies to this topic

#11 Maura

Maura

VIP Member

• VIP Member
  • 5,752 posts
  • Wedding Location:Westin Los Cabos

Posted 19 August 2008 - 09:52 PM

I am going to have to compile a bigger list, but right now while I have a minute I want to tell each and every one of you that I wish I hadn't stressed so much about who was/wasn't coming. The day will go by so quickly that before you know it, it is over and done. And the next day you will have a hard time remembering everything. I honestly did not think at all, not even once, about all the people who weren't there. Honestly!

The other two things I learned (the hard way, unfortunately) are to make a list of MUST-HAVE photos for your photographer, and also give the list to a friend or family member sitting near the front to snap the shots as well. There were certain moments missed during my ceremony that I hope were caught on video, because I have not seen a single photo from our photographer or guests capturing certain things I remember. Also, assign one of your girlfriends or bridesmaids to take photos all night long with your camera so you can have some instant gratification of photos the next day. One of my bridesmaids took photos with my camera throughout the day and at the reception and I am so grateful for that.

#12 TammyWright

TammyWright

Admin & Owner

• Administrators
  • 11,659 posts
  • Wedding Location:Dreams Los Cabos

Posted 19 August 2008 - 09:55 PM

...the people that are supposed to be at your destination wedding WILL be at your destination wedding.

...that it will be the best wedding your guests will have ever been to!

...that everything will turn out the way it is supposed to turn out.

sounds kind of hokey but it is true.

Founder and Owner of BestDestinationWedding.com  /  Bride & Groom Fly FREE Promotion

Looking for a travel agency that specializes in Destination Weddings-CLICK HERE?  We are an award winning travel agency and you can read our reviews here.

Awards and recognition: 
Palace Resorts Winner "Top Travel Agent", "Top Homebased Travel Agency" PRO Platinum Agency (Top Award)     |    AMResorts Master Agent & Top Agency  
Karisma Hotels Diamond Level 5 (highest production), Top 10 Azul Weddings, Top Wedding Coordinator | Wright Travel & Karisma GIVC Benefits
Travel Impressions Best of the Best Globe Winner    |     Apple Vacations Golden Apple Winner  
sml_gallery_206696_17612_13451.pnggallery_206696_17572_8409.jpg    sml_gallery_206696_17572_1003.jpg
Vendor rules are HERE! Please read!  If you are a vendor and looking to advertise your business, please email ads@bestdestinationwedding.com.

#13 Karen

Karen
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 10:25 PM

• that there is no more beautiful way to marry your soul mate than with your feet in the sand and waves crashing around you
    • that love really is the only thing that matters
    • that one should put sunscreen on if one is going to have a 2 hour photo shoot on the beach in Mexico in July
    • follow your gut and your heart
    • that people will eventually accept your choices as long as you treat them and yourself with respect.
    • that my husband is an incredible planner and partner
    • to never drink a lot of tequila and champagne on an empty stomach

<center><embed src="http://www.widdlytin...nancyticker.swf" FlashVars="t1=Baby Lambert is on the way&b=7&c=0xCC00CC&f=5&y=2010&m=4&d=14" quality="high" wmode="transparent" width="430" height="115" name="Pregnancy Ticker" align="middle"...

#14 Jenn79

Jenn79
    • 625 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 12:13 PM

-it brings out pettiness in people, particularly family
      -everyone has their own ideas of what you should do and forget it's not THEIR wedding
      -pictures are just as beautiful with a stormy sky as they are with bright sunshine
      -people don't think the same rules of consideration apply because it is not a "traditional" wedding
      -I wouldn't have done it any differently even with the hassles involved
      Jenn & Timm, May 10, 2007
      Review Pictures Pro Pictures
      "i write to be read" Fiction by Timm Holmes

#15 jajajaja

jajajaja
      • VIP Member
      • 9,794 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 12:42 PM

*Do what makes YOU happy.
        *To let the little things go.
        *Your attitude is what makes the difference in a crappy experience vs a satisfying one.
        *DW truly are the best time- those that go make it all worth while (well besides marrying your love, but that's a given.)
        *When it's all said and done, you realize that the things you freaked out about are completely silly.
        *BEST TIME EVER.
        Happily married since 2008

#16 becks

becks

VIP

• VIP Member
        • 4,881 posts
        • Wedding Date:August 9, 2008
        • Wedding Location:Riviera Maya
        • LocationNew York

Posted 20 August 2008 - 12:43 PM

Good thread!

So a few things I've learned:

* The only votes that count are yours and FI's.
        * Feel free to tell anyone who might benefit from the information that the only votes that count are yours and FI's
        * On the day of, be prepared to be flexible - something will go wrong, but there will be a "work-around" for it. Just go with it.
        * Give yourself an extra 45 minutes to get ready.
        * If there's a problem, switch good cop/bad cop roles with FI. When you go from being the calm and flexible one to SCARY-BRIDE-TO-BE, people pay attention.
        * Once you get to your venue, delegate EVERYTHING. Your only role is to relax, be beautiful and smile.

Happily married since 2008

Allurements by Rebecca - Destination Wedding Invitations and more

#17 Reba2009

Reba2009
        • 192 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 12:53 PM

I have learned
          not to ask anyone's opinion because once you open that door....you can't seem to close it again!
          the ones you think will be there, will not even mention it to you or talk about it once the STD's are out and the ones you think will never come, are the ones that are the most excited and have booked already!
          the first few weeks are the worst and most stressful but once you make your decision and book it, it all becomes fun and nothing else matters!
          to keep reminding myself that this is all about US and no one else matters!

#18 JaimeLynne

JaimeLynne
          • VIP Member
          • 4,791 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 01:02 PM

This is a great thread. It reminds me of those little "bathroom" books (as I call them, lol) of wisdom... This would make for a great compilation book! Seriously, we should get all these ideas organized and publish a "Destination Wedding Words of Wisdom" book. I really think it would help out all the future DW brides out there (not just here on BDW) but all over...

I don't really have any words of wisdom right now cause I'm in a bitter mood trying to make everyone and myself happy, but I must say reading this thread made me a little teary-eyed. I'm so thankful to have so many girls who understand the ups and down and can offer such special words of wisdom THANKS LADIES!!!

~ Jaime & Martin ~
            "Rain or Swine! 2-0-0-9"

We had 24 people attend our wedding in Las Caletas, Mexico on May 24th, 2009!

We all stayed at The Marriott in P.V., and Honeymooned at The Royal Plantation in Ochos Rios, Jamaica!

#19 KAMAY11

KAMAY11
            • 456 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 01:15 PM

I love this thread! It makes all the minor issues that have come up-just that: MINOR!
              ALL that matters is my FI and I are in love, and we're going to have the most amazing day!!! :)
              D & K
              October 16th, 2008-Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas

http://tickers.Ticke....7276/event.png

#20 Andi

Andi

VIP Member

• VIP Member
              • 3,490 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 01:19 PM

what a great thread!

My biggest thing so far is to (as others have said) do and decide on locations/resorts that you and your FI want! Don't worry about everyone else...if the want to be there they will be!

Last week I was concerned that the resort we decided on might be too expensive for some of our guests...and so I am telling everyone that they don't have to stay there! They are not obligated in any way to spend money that they don't want to!

This day will be for us and will be great if 10 guests or 50 guests come!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users