What have I learned from planning a destination wedding?

shellb

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ_bride View Post
"The people you love the most, will be among those who hurt your feelings the most as you plan the "Big Day". It's those you least expect that will surprise you with their thoughtfulness and helpfulness."

I have never read a more true thought! Almost 3 months after my wedding I still think about that part everyday. Some relationships were changed forever over our wedding.

Also agree with the less is more.
I also agree with both of these points. My mom was asking about flowers and if there would be enough. But you know what, flowers are expensive. Candles are not expensive. So when it finally came, it was so dark, flowers wouldnt have been the best way to spend money! And it looked gorgeous because the backdrop was the waves!

As far as who will hurt you, DH still won't talk to his step mother that he was super close to before. She got upset with DH's dad and cancelled her trip suddenly in October. We didn't even know until December, right before the wedding. He was so hurt. Meanwhile, my mother's work friend came and spent the whole time with the family and gave us a very generous gift, and it has changed that relationship too!

glad i found this thread!

i totally agree with everything said, esp about knowing who your true friends are. sad but true

and that's it's all about me and FI

i find when i'm about to buy something or start a DIY i think to myself 'will my guests remember, care or notice?'

if the answer is no then i don't bother

• 2 months later...

Such an awesome thread !!!! Ill have to remember to keep reading it as I plan my wedding !!! Im still waiting to get engaged....the ring is getting made as we speak...and i've already had soo many negative things said to me about having a destination wedding !!! To my suprise...they have all come from family members !!!! Gotta love family !stfu.gifstfu.gif

I have to agree....you learn a lot about the people in your life - for the good, and unfortunately, for the bad. The day has to be about you and your FI and what you want.

Although it has been more about what I want since his eyes glass over if I talk about the wedding for more than 10 minutes. LOL... So, he kind of goes along with whatever, but weighs in on the big decisions.

I can't believe I didn't see this thread before!

I learned that...

* Just because I'm a big family person, doesn't mean "family" need to be blood related. The friends that came with us feel like family now and everyone on the trip agreed that we were such a cohesive group and it felt like one big happy "family".

* Extra decorations aren't necessary to make a white sand beach in the Caribbean look weddingy. I saw weddings that were all decked out and my first thought was...added stress! I loved that our decorations were simple...and free!

*Midol definately does help keep the tears away and calm your emotions. I cried all morning and every time I'd see my Mom and Dad. After the Midol I was fine!

*Plan a group excursion for shortly after your wedding. We did a snorkeling excursion the day after our wedding. It only left at 3:00pm so we had lots of time to recover and it was the best day. We were all so relaxed and even those who didn't snorkel said it was so worth it! It was the best "wedding reception" ever!

I'm sure there's more and I ditto what other brides on here said too...love this thread Shellb! Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...