Photo

Cell Phone Usage in Ocho Rios Jamaica

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Melissa G

Melissa G
  • 105 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 05:25 PM

I tried to do a search on this and could not find anything. Mods, please let me know if this information is already out there.

I am getting married in Ocho Rios Jamaica and my parents need to be able to be contacted during their stay as they are small business owners. They are looking into getting a cell phone they can use in Jamaica. Have any of you guys done this already?

I also saw on some websites that you can rent a phone once you get in Jamaica.

Have any of you guys had to do this or seen how it would work in Jamaica? I am staying at Sandals Grande Ocho Rios. Does anyone know if they offer anything? Also, have you seen any good places in Jamaica where you can buy phone cards to call back to the US at a good price?

#2 Agape Gems

Agape Gems
    • 1,260 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 05:35 PM

My sister, who has t-mobile, was able to use her phone in Ocho Rios but I have no idea what the charges looked like. I have also heard some girls say that they got cell phones thru Lees Tours, you might try checking with them.
      See our professional weddings photos http://bestdestinati...om/forum/t21339

#3 JUSTUSTWO

JUSTUSTWO

VIP Member

• VIP Member
      • 12,193 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 05:46 PM

Everyone in our group had either Verizon or Sprint & everyone was able to use their phone. The one thing that I will tell you is that if intl calls aren't included in your calling plan, make sure you add an international calling plan on way before you go. Everyone who had a plan was able to make unlimited calls while in Jamaica. For those who didn't have a plan, they got hit with crazy charges when they got home for each call that they made.

And like Courtney said, Lee's tours has phones available to rent.

#4 PrecisePlans

PrecisePlans
        • 802 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 07:12 PM

JA also has their own cell company called Digi-Cell. You can switch to their calling network for a small fee while you are there and switch back when you return.

#5 Jenn

Jenn
          • 1,557 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 07:43 PM

I wasn't in Ochos Rios, but in Negril Verizon worked. We had service, but everyone who needed cell phones rented a phone and then bought calling cards. It was really cheap - like $5/week for the phone or something ridiculous like that. With the calling cards, it was way more affordable than using Verizon.

#6 NotYourAverageDW

NotYourAverageDW
            • 361 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 09:37 PM

Jamaica has several cell companies and they accept international networks - meaning that your phone should work.

Jamaican cell companies are :
              1.Cable and Wireless
              2.Digicell Mobile
              3.Centennial Mobile

Most US carries work there :Verizon, Sprint etc
              Most Canadian carriers work there as well: Telus, Rogers, Bell, etc

Good Luck!

#7 Melissa G

Melissa G
              • 105 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 09:21 AM

Thanks you guys!!

#8 hollisandsteph

hollisandsteph
                • 419 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 09:51 AM

Melissa
                  We were actually at SGOR and our friends verizon phone did not work. People could call in but we could not call out. It was really strange. It worked that way with both phones they had with them. We did not even bother taking one. I am not sure if the different sides of the resort made a difference but we were on the Rivera side. Also international calling cards no not work there. You can buy prepaid calling cards in the gift shops but they cost $20 and are only good for a couple of calls. We ended up giving the resort number and room number to our family for calls. We also took our laptop and could get internet off and on in the Rivera lobby and could easily access it in the Manor house lobby. Just an FYI I thought i would share!

#9 Birdie07

Birdie07
                  • 1,218 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 02:46 AM

We were at ROR and had AT&T and we could call out. But the charges were ridiculous when we got back. We had our sister call the hotel from the states and her bill was outrageous too. And they discussed the calling card at our intro meeting and it was expensive. We ended up just emailing from the internet where you could get a 10 dollar card for an hour or something.

#10 hollisandsteph

hollisandsteph
                    • 419 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 01:48 PM

Quote:
                      Originally Posted by CaliaA07
                      We were at ROR and had AT&T and we could call out. But the charges were ridiculous when we got back. We had our sister call the hotel from the states and her bill was outrageous too. And they discussed the calling card at our intro meeting and it was expensive. We ended up just emailing from the internet where you could get a 10 dollar card for an hour or something.
                      We have Embarq and our kids called us like 3 times and it was $12 so we weren't upset at all. It was much cheeper for us to go this route. We were never on the phone a long time but were still worried about it when we got home.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users