Puerto Rico Brides!

Latinhunny33

PR is a beautiful island. I haven't decided if I want to renew my vows there. Too bad they don't have any all-inclusive resorts because it would've been easier for my guests to enjoy without spending too much.

Can anyone recommend a place that specializes in renewing vows for two people? I would love to have it on the beach.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEE LAC View Post
Hello, I was wondering if you had a wedding coordinator and if so who you went with? Also what D.J are you using?
I have just joined these boards, so I hope I am not breaking any rules here by recommending someone that I use as a vendor.

I had a LOT of trouble finding a wedding coordinator when I first started looking. I sent out lots of RFPs, and some would respond, some wouldn't. There was also the problem with "island time." I almost signed a contract with one (who will remain nameless), but she kept changing the terms of the contract without warning me about it! Luckily we changed gears and began looking again.

We finally found our coordinator, Lisa Rodriguez. If you google PR Wedding Planner, you will find her blog as the last result on the first page. I don't want to give a direct link because I am not sure yet if that violates any rules or not.

I absolutely love Lisa thus far and haven't had any issues with her. She is originally from NY, so she is a lot better about the "island time" issue. I swear that she has a blackberry or something, either that or she checks her email unceasingly.

So if you are still looking, you might want to contact her and see if there are good vibes between the two of you. Also, I haven't had my wedding just yet, so take that into consideration with my recommendation.

Have you decided on a location yet KEE LAC?

ratchiecakes-what exactly does a wedding coordinator do? I want to get one but am curious about what they do. I am also trying to pick a photographer etc..but cannot choose one. All of the different packages confuse me, they all have good photos on their websites, etc...

I contacted an entertainment company to get quotes for a DJ and they haven't returned my call...confusing. Maybe the coordinator does all this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by evie View Post
ratchiecakes-what exactly does a wedding coordinator do? I want to get one but am curious about what they do. I am also trying to pick a photographer etc..but cannot choose one. All of the different packages confuse me, they all have good photos on their websites, etc...

I contacted an entertainment company to get quotes for a DJ and they haven't returned my call...confusing. Maybe the coordinator does all this?
The coordinator is basically your go-to person before and during your wedding. Depending on their fees and what you want, the coordinator can be with you the whole planning process, or they can be someone who comes in a few days before the wedding, makes a timeline with you, and make sure everyone sticks to that timeline and the wedding day goes smooothly.

Typically if you have a wedding planner there for the whole planning process, they are the ones who recommend vendors and initially contact them on your behalf. Coordinators oftentimes have long standing relationships with certain vendors and can get you a good deal for you money. The coordinator will make sure that your contracts with the vendors are standard and that you aren't getting ripped off. They can help you with research, and guide you with developing your wedding vision. Do you want a sunset wedding? Well you might need someone who lives on that island to tell you when sunset typically is at that time of year!

I was seriously having trouble getting into contact with a particular vendor (much like with your DJ predicament). So I sent a quick email to my coordinator and she was right on it-- and sure enough after a couple of phone calls from her the vendors took my request for info more seriously.

Since I am doing a DW wedding, I opted to have a coordinator with me for the whole planning process. I am not familiar with PR, and I don't speak Spanish very well. So I wanted someone there for me to help me find vendors and makes sure all of my contracts were standard. I also wanted someone there to make sure I didn't have ideas that were just way too crazy or unrealistic. My coordinator has been a huge asset for me-- a lot of vendors (especially florists and bakers!) in Puerto Rico don't have websites, so I need my coordinator to give me examples of vendors works for me to see. She also gives me advice to stretch my money further, like buying tiki torches myself and shipping it to her rather than getting the tiki torches through the florist.

So the cost of a coordinator varies depending on what you want from them (full planning involvement, just recommendations, or just day of coordination). A coordinator who does the full coordination will typically cost you anywhere between 10-20% of your budget. I think its well worth it, and I am on a seriously tight budget. I'm a graduate student who lives on ramen noodles because of this wedding, lol!

But since they do take up a chunk of your budget, its really important that you get along with your coordinator and you feel comfortable with them. Like I said in an earlier post, in fear of not having anyone else I almost booked with a coordinator I was NOT cool with. Thank god my fiance talked some sense into me and I kept looking! It was a real "aha!" moment when I found this coordinator.

If you want referrals to wedding planners, often your ceremony site will give you recommendations. Or you can ask other brides for recommendations. And of course there is always google. :) I found my wedding coordinator through her blog.

And as a side note, I totally feel you about the confusion that can come with different packages and photographers! Portrait style, photojournalistic style, fashion emphasis... that was tough for me to navigate through. I think it might help if you pick the style of photos you want before navigating through a bunch of packages. Do you want candid, or more posed photos? Funky, or traditional? Color, black and white, or a mix? Once you answer those questions, you can then look at the photographers and see which ones match those choices more.

I hope my response helps you out a bit!

I'm in the process of giving my guests options for their stay in Puerto Rico. For the most part our guests will stay at EL Conquistador for the weekend of the wedding. The problem is that we are flying to Puerto Rico on Tuesday. Because it would be way to expensive to expect our guests to stay at El Conquistador the entire week, I was trying to give them alternatives.

Does anyone have ideas about where to stay in PR?

Better yet, do you know of any "villas" in the vicinity?

I think "villas" would be more economical because people can group together & split the cost.

They can be located pretty much anywhere. I want my guests to be able to experience San Juan & other parts of the island.

Thanks for any feedback!!!

Does anyone have ideas about where to stay in PR?

Better yet, do you know of any "villas" in the vicinity?

I think "villas" would be more economical because people can group together & split the cost.

They can be located pretty much anywhere. I want my guests to be able to experience San Juan & other parts of the island.

Thanks for any feedback!!!

The only villas that I know about, are the ones at Villa Sevilla. I have no idea if they are any good, I haven't booked anything with them (but I am thinking about it for our honeymoon)

Here is their website: Welcome to Villa Sevilla Guest House, Rio Grande, Puerto Rico

Here is their tripadvisor page: Welcome to Villa Sevilla Guest House, Rio Grande, Puerto Rico

As for other Inns in San Juan, I have heard good things about The Gallery Inn and The Coqui Inn. There are of course the more typical cheaper options like Holiday Inn, Howard Johnson.

I would really recommend you by the Frommer's Guide to Puerto Rico-- they have really great advice and recommendations for where to stay in PR that fits ALL budgets.

Sam,

I've heard great reviews about Da House Hotel in San Juan & their rates seem very affordable for the area, around $80-100 a night.

I can't speak from experience, but you might want to check them out. Your guests will be right smack in the middle of the tourist area, don't know if this is something they would enjoy.

THANK YOU!!!!!

I looked up both "Da House Hotel" & "Villa Sevilla"

and they both look really nice & very economical!!!!!!

My dad is totally against paying $340/night at the resort & these are great alternatives!

My stomach feels much better now! I was beginning to worry for my guests because of the economy & finances but I found that Villa Sevilla can be as low as $35/night per person!!!!

smile36.gif