Photo

Buck and Does

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#11 Jenn

Jenn
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 07:20 PM

So glad someone asked because I was also clueless! I wish that was a tradition around here! That would've been an awesome way to include everyone and make a little dough :) Are they open bar where you have to pay for everyone, or do people just pay a cover to go to your party?

#12 teacherbride

teacherbride
    • 354 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 07:26 PM

Yikes, I am definitely not the expert on this, just killing time on the forum today. Here in Manitoba the we have a cash bar or people buy drink tickets. You can make a bunch of cash off of the drinks too!

In the past I've heard people who are offended by this kind of "cash grabbing" but here its super popular and people know exactly what to expect. Socials are also held for various groups and causes. Sometimes everyone needs a little financial help, I say why not have a huge party doing it!!

#13 Jenn

Jenn
      • 1,557 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 07:30 PM

Sounds a lot like a "Beef and Beer" here in the states, but we don't usually have them pre-wedding. Would definitely help the financial stressors of getting married though!

#14 NotYourAverageDW

NotYourAverageDW
        • 361 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 07:37 PM

Quote:
          Originally Posted by teacherbride
          Yikes, I am definitely not the expert on this, just killing time on the forum today. Here in Manitoba the we have a cash bar or people buy drink tickets. You can make a bunch of cash off of the drinks too!

In the past I've heard people who are offended by this kind of "cash grabbing" but here its super popular and people know exactly what to expect. Socials are also held for various groups and causes. Sometimes everyone needs a little financial help, I say why not have a huge party doing it!!
          Meh! Don't let that stop you. A lot of events are steeped in culture and heritage and were traditionally designed to help the new couple plan a wedding, celebrate with the town, fund their way into newlywed-dom.etc '

Its all good fun! It's like a money tree, getting shower gifts etc. It also allows people to celebrate with you even of they can't make it to your destination.

Have fun!

#15 Carolyn

Carolyn
          • 1,235 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 08:04 PM

Never heard of this but sounds like fun & GOOD for the wedding couple.

#16 chicklet

chicklet
            • 718 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 08:46 PM

Sloan..
              This is crazy. I live in ingersoll and I went to school with your fiancee I think. Craig Watmough??
              I am getting married in Jamaica as well but in Jan.
              Small world eh?
              congratulations!!!

#17 Debs

Debs
              • VIP Member
              • 7,104 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 08:53 PM

We made about $2500 on our Buck and Doe and had over 150 people (over capacity at the hall no less! Tee hee!)

People were asking about 3 months in advance when our B&D was going to be, so there was no way we were getting around having one. It was great fun!

Definately do it. You are getting married right? What matter is it WHERE you are getting married? People who can't make it down south for sure want to give you their best wishes. :)

#18 2bebridejamaica

2bebridejamaica
                • 1,206 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 10:04 PM

HAHAHA.. in Mass we call this a Jack n Jill. But we have a HUGE amount acadians in the area so I know exactly what you are talking about. It's very common in my area to have one for local wedding and they are sooo fun!! I agree half the time you don't even know the people but they come out for a good night with cheap drinks and the hopes of picking up something from the raffles.

We are planning one, well I think? Jay and I said we really wanted to have one and my MOH is sneeky so I think ours will be a surprise. Funny thing is I had to google a bunch of stuff for Jay since he had no idea about them. He grew up about 70 miles away from me and was just like huh? I don't get it? But once I told him that half the town comes out or buys tickets .. he was totally up for it.

#19 Sloan

Sloan
                  • 1,279 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 03:48 AM

Quote:
                    Originally Posted by chicklet
                    Sloan..
                    This is crazy. I live in ingersoll and I went to school with your fiancee I think. Craig Watmough??
                    I am getting married in Jamaica as well but in Jan.
                    Small world eh?
                    congratulations!!!
                    That is kinda crazy! Small world indeed. Yep, that be him. Jamaica in April, wish we were going in January! Our Buck n' Doe is at Thamesford Arena... should be a bit of a gongshow. Looking forward to it! Congrats to you to! Happy Buck n' Doe planning!

#20 Kelly C

Kelly C
                    • 2,051 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 10:49 AM

It sounds great. We dont have anything of the measures. I only thing we have is dollor dance at the reseption and most people are getting away from that. But boy that sure would help with the expenses of the wedding.
                      Kerrington Danielle was born 6/23/09 12:31 pm 7lbs 14oz.

http://i295.photobuc....e/IMG_9487.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users