Anyone travel the EuroRail?

JennyK

I used it last summer and we saved a ton of money. We went to Italy, France, and Spain. We only took the night train once (going from Italy to France) and we felt pretty safe (I was with 3 other girls). We did make sure though that we locked the doors at all times and we slept with our money packs under our pillow. But the just to warn you, the sleeping compartments are TINY! Some of the trains were nicer than others, and some even provided pretty good meals at no extra charge.

• 4 weeks later...

A couple of girlfriends and I only used Eurorail (no plane trips) to get to multiple cities in Spain and then to Paris (it's been a while, but I think we chose the 5-destination ticket). It was well worth the experience, but it really depends on what you're looking for. If you want a cheaper, faster way to travel and are looking forward more to the destination rather than the journey, Ryanair or Easyjet offer good deals within Europe.

As far as price, I think the overnight train we took was cheaper than getting a hotel room for the three of us.

Before I started dating my FI, I dated a guy that lived 50% of the time in Zurich, Switzerland...so I got to travel to Europe allot. I've used Eurorail and flown on Ryanair and Berlin air, etc. Personally the train is the way to go. One of my favorite memories was the train ride from Zurich to Amsterdam through Germany up the Rhine. OMG it was beautiful. I would have missed so much by flying. Also sometimes the train trip itself can be a ton of fun. I'm the kind of person who will talk to the people sitting next to me...and have meet and partied with some fantastic people.

I know allot of people think he's kinda strange...but one of the best places to get Eurail info is Rick Steves Europe Through the Back Door. I bought my tickets at his place and was able to return the ones I didn't use! I wasn't even aware you could do that. Also, he used to have a special that you got a free travel book or DVD if you bought your passes through him.

• 1 month later...

I used it on my last trip to Europe, Nov 2007, but it wasn't the EuroRail. I used it mainly when my fiance and I were in Italy...from Rome, Venice, Bologna, Florence and back to Rome. It was so convenient and not over priced. Also, there are lots of time tables available for you to choose from. We bought most of the ticket over the internet, TrenItalia.com. Since you want to sleep in the train, purchase or reserve in advance. But you can buy tickets when you get to the station too. A friend of mine lives in Germany and she uses EuroRail to travel for work between different cities and surrounding countries. I highly recommend it!!!

You will absolutely love Portugal! I just came back from Portugal and Spain in May and Portugal is one of my favorite European countries. It has everything...fantastic food, great nightlife in Lisbon, phenominal wines and it is so beautiful with so much history. I think it is a great choice for a honeymoon! Have fun!

~Melinda

Quote:
Originally Posted by TA Melinda View Post
You will absolutely love Portugal! I just came back from Portugal and Spain in May and Portugal is one of my favorite European countries. It has everything...fantastic food, great nightlife in Lisbon, phenominal wines and it is so beautiful with so much history. I think it is a great choice for a honeymoon! Have fun!

~Melinda
I think she is from Portugal! I really want to go though!