What traditions are you NOT doing? (poll borrowed from TK)

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, this is a great thread! Here's my list:

- No garter toss, bouquet toss will be for all women

- Groom has seen the wedding dress

- Groom will see me before the wedding to take pictures

- I won't be "given away," but will be walked down the aisle

- Groom is walking down with both parents

- Wedding dress is tea-length and has teal tulle

- Boutonnieres will be feathers instead of flowers

- No father/daughter mother/son dances

• 3 weeks later...

Fun! Here are mine :)

-No Best Man or Maid of Honor

-Uneven BMs vs GM (6 and 4)

-No dollar dance, Electric Slide or Macarana

-No DJ; iPod w/our music

-No wedding march or Cannon in D; I'll be choosing the processional/recessional music

-No garter or bouquet toss

-No wedding programs

-No readings during ceremony, short and sweet :)

-Most likely no sand ceremony, unity candle, hand ceremony, ect

-No centerpieces @ dinner/reception - will be using BM bouquets

-BM dresses are cotton sundresses :)

-No tuxes

I'm sure there are more but these are the ones I can think of off the top of my head

This is kind of funny, reading these has made me realize that I am more traditional (in some ways) than I thought. I haven't been to that many weddings before, so I don't really know the drill all that well.

Here are some of the things I want to do that are not so traditional:

- May sleep in the same room the night before, then go our separate ways (I like the suspense of not seeing him, but hopefully the 6 hours leading up to it will be enough)

- Short, non-religious ceremony. No sand ceremony etc (maybe our own vows to each other)

- No traditional place settings, I assume people will be able to work it out for themselves

- Ipod/CDs for the reception music

- Wedding dress is off-white, very simple (no beading, tight fitting)

- No formal rehearsal dinner (may just plan to meet at the buffet)

- Do my own make up

- No wedding programs

- Gifts for parents will be photobooks after the fact

**I do want my dad to walk me down the aisle, mainly because I know it means a lot to him, and it will be a bonding moment for us (not that we aren't close)

**I am changing my name, I have mixed feelings on this, but for me it comes down to feeling like we are starting our own family. I want to have the same last name as my kids, and our names are way to long to hyphenate.

We will be staying together the night before. (Been living together for almost 3 years)

No garter/bouquet toss, but I will wear one for fun.

No bridal party

No flower girl/ring bearer

Not having a Catholic Church wedding

No white dress

No shoes during ceremony

No engagement party

No rehearsal dinner (will invite everyone to go to dinner together if they want)

No kids

No reception – will have dinner in one of the restaurants at the resort and go to a night club after.

No programs

I'm not sure if anyone has listed this one...but it is big for me for some reason. Traditionally, in North America, the brides name comes before the grooms on everything. Even in the monogram it is brides initial, last name initial and then grooms initial.

Well, I like everything the opposite way. This is Todd & Chelle's Wedding...not the opposite. Our monogram is tSc...not cSt. I'm not sure why it is traditionally one way or the other...but there have been a couple items I've ordered where I have had to list his name as the brides and mine as the grooms to get the engraving done the way I want it. :)

This is a fun thread:

We are staying together the night before

Getting our wedding pics the day before (yep he will see my dress the day before)

No garter/bouquet toss

No traditional wedding (I'm catholic & he's baptist but we are having a short ceremony)

No traditional reception music (No chicken dance!)

No programs

No rehersal dinner (formal one)

No BM dresses or GM attire - we told them to dress in casual summery outfits

No expensive decorations

I can't think of anything else right now but I'm sure there is more : )

- No veil

- No bouquet/garter toss

- Staying together the night before

- No reception (will have dinner at an A La Carte, then probably hang out at the lobby bar until the disco opens. Whoever feels like dancing just follows us)

- No programs

- Mom and dad will walk me down the aisle (no giving away though)

- No wedding favors (will give an insulated travel mug before, and a photo montage on CD after we come back)

- Sending out half STD/half invitations a year earlier

- No expensive decorations/centerpieces/flowers. Will take whatever is included in the package and the destination will be the main decor.

- No rehearsal dinner- Possibly parasols instead of bouquets for bridesmaid

And like Chelle posted, I prefer my FI's name to come before mine. Ron & Mel just sounds better than Mel & Ron.

- No veil

- No bouquet/garter toss

- Staying together the night before

- No reception (will have dinner at an A La Carte, then probably hang out at the lobby bar until the disco opens. Whoever feels like dancing just follows us)

- No programs

- Mom and dad will walk me down the aisle (no giving away though)

- No wedding favors (will give an insulated travel mug before, and a photo montage on CD after we come back)

- Sending out half STD/half invitations a year earlier

- No expensive decorations/centerpieces/flowers. Will take whatever is included in the package and the destination will be the main decor.

- No rehearsal dinner- Possibly parasols instead of bouquets for bridesmaid

And like Chelle posted, I prefer my FI's name to come before mine. Ron & Mel just sounds better than Mel & Ron.