Newbie with NO clue where to start!

kburton

Hi...I'm new to the forum. My name is Kelly and we have not set a date yet or a location. I'm BRAND new to this. I've done a lot of research but feel ao overwhelmed!! I'm not sure how to choose the right location at the right price, etc. We are struggling with trying to figure out how many people might be attending and who we can invite. As far as choosing a resort, we are struggling with finding a nice resort with a reception area and wedding area that still has a private feel with great rooms overlooking the ocean. We are mostly thinking the Riveria Maya and we want it to be kid friendly (we have a lot of nieces and nephews) but also want to stay at the same resort for our honeymoon and have the feel that we are secluded like an adults only resort.

I guess I want to know what the reception area would look like and the wedding area but still feel confident that the resort is a little more modern and up-to-date and have a room that overlooks the ocean. It's hard to decide which resort is right in regards to pricing, ceremony location, honeymoon attractiveness, etc. I want to feel confident that I get a resort that will really help with the actual wedding and reception plans without a bunch of restrictions (photographer, etc.) We do not plan on flying in a photographer but if I do not like the photographers on a vendor list I would like to use a local photographer instead.

I'm panicking about if my hair and make-up will look okay etc. Again, just feeling overwhelmed! Hopefully this site will help me find some answers!

-Kelly

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to the forum!! After a few days on here you will feel MUCH better! There are a lot of brides who are just starting out, brides who are almost ready to get married, and brides who are now WIVES who have already walked down the aisle, and are here to share their experiences on what to do and what not to do. I can recommend the Barcelo Maya Palace. (We will be getting married there in January 09) It's located in Playa Del Carmen, is kid friendly, and has it's own 2 mile beach. (There are 5 Barcelo hotels that share the beach) I would be more than happy to send you pictures and or give you more info! Don't stress!! Happy Planning!

Hi Kelly,

I think all of us on this website have had times where we are overwhelmed! So don't feel alone. My advice is to talk to a Travel Agent (TA). Don't try to do all of this planning alone...you will go nuts!! The TA's will go over different resorts, ceremony locations,reception locations so you can get a feel for what you are looking for. If you look at the top of this page there is a little button that says the different TA's on this board..click that and fill out the form they are all very helpful!! Best of luck in your planning :)

Hi Kelly, I am new too and I know exactly how you feel. I don't even know what is an efficient order to start. So if anyone can give sort of a rough idea on the best way to start- that would be great. I had/have some the exact same worries as you. One concern I have is trying to find out if people would be willing to go. Should I send an email asking people if it's something they would consider and then send all the stdate and invites? I have no idea on the etiquette and timeline. I guess we're all learning together.

As far as finding a location, I would just narrow it down to a country. Some I considered were Italy, Mexico, Dominican Republic and Jamaica. And then after that I would enter the country in the search box on this forum and read what people have to say and from there you can get all kinds of suggestions on hotels or wedding coordinators. I have contacted a few and have gotten quotes. Make it pretty simple with what you want so you get a basic idea and then add details as you learn more. With budget, I'd get some quotes just to get realistic cost for what you're looking for. I know when I started I had no idea what a wedding would even cost and it seemed in bad taste to ask my friends how much they spent. So at least here you can feel OK about asking people. Another thing that I found helpful is looking through the forums that review their weddings. People really write about their experiences and people that I've PMd have been so helpful and willing to share.

With pictures of reception areas, when I contacted the wedding coordinators or individual resorts most of them attached pictures to their wedding areas- I asked for them. And about hair and makeup- I've noticed that some packages include a pre-wedding day trial so you know if you like it or not.

Anyway, hope some of that was helpful to you. Good luck :)

Hi Kelly, I am new too and I know exactly how you feel. I don't even know what is an efficient order to start. So if anyone can give sort of a rough idea on the best way to start- that would be great. I had/have some the exact same worries as you. One concern I have is trying to find out if people would be willing to go. Should I send an email asking people if it's something they would consider and then send all the stdate and invites? I have no idea on the etiquette and timeline. I guess we're all learning together.

As far as finding a location, I would just narrow it down to a country. Some I considered were Italy, Mexico, Dominican Republic and Jamaica. And then after that I would enter the country in the search box on this forum and read what people have to say and from there you can get all kinds of suggestions on hotels or wedding coordinators. I have contacted a few and have gotten quotes. Make it pretty simple with what you want so you get a basic idea and then add details as you learn more. With budget, I'd get some quotes just to get realistic cost for what you're looking for. I know when I started I had no idea what a wedding would even cost and it seemed in bad taste to ask my friends how much they spent. So at least here you can feel OK about asking people. Another thing that I found helpful is looking through the forums that review their weddings. People really write about their experiences and people that I've PMd have been so helpful and willing to share.

With pictures of reception areas, when I contacted the wedding coordinators or individual resorts most of them attached pictures to their wedding areas- I asked for them. And about hair and makeup- I've noticed that some packages include a pre-wedding day trial so you know if you like it or not.

Anyway, hope some of that was helpful to you. Good luck :)