Sign in to follow this  
Davematthews16

My Wedding Animal Sitter Just Bailed :(

My girlfriend was set to stay at our house and watch the animals the week we're in Mexico, and she just informed me that she cannot do it. My animals are like children and I don't trust just ANYONE with them. UGH I'm in a total bind now sad.gif Everyone else I trust is going to the wedding. I can't take them to a shelter either (they are all rescues and would totally flip out, and I would be worried about them the entire time) YIKES!!!!!

Eeek! At least she gave you lots of warning.

I don't know about there, but here in Toronto you can find companies/people that will actually come to your house and house-sit your pet while you're gone. I know it's hard to trust them, but maybe if you start out using them as a dog-walker (I'm assuming it's for dogs?), that way you can establish a relationship? And make sure it's a reputable company. Just an idea....?

We just sent our guy to a "dog camp" while we were in NYC. There are NO crates there...they have their own room with a bed in it kinda like a hotel room, and they play outside in the yard all day. He was the most tired I've ever seen him when we got home! And we didn't feel guilty at all because we knew he wasn't in a crate (he flips out when he goes in crates too).

I know how you feel. My dogs are my babies and rescues too. But if you search long enough you'll find a good boarding place that you'll feel comfortable taking them too.

Granted you'll go see a hundred crappy ones first, but you'll find one.

It's a dog and 2 cats. I'm hoping my original person can do it. He wasn't sure if he was going to be in town, but I'm going to cross my fingers....And BEG him LOL. It will work out, it just SUCKS right now lol! Thanks for your responses :)

If you were in the NYC area I was going to recommend the place we've used. It came HIGHLY recommended from someone my sister works with, they use it for doggie day care and when she goes out of town on business (she had to leave her dog there for a month once). The place is GREAT! They take them out to Long Island and they play all day and they don't crate the dogs at all. One of our dogs can have issues with other females and I todl them that she's crate trained and they said they don't crate teh dogs at all, they'll just section off a part of the yard for just our two if there are any issues. The place was great! We joke that they had a "weekend in the Hamptons" LOL

Keep looking and search online, you'll find a place.

Andrea! Have no fear! As a full time babysitter/singer/student, I belong to a website called sittercity.com and it is great to find babysitters/senior sitters/petsitters/housekeepers. You can post an ad, and I believe many of the people have background check performed and whatnot. I have gotten many jobs through this reputable site, and people are always looking for somesome on both ends. Please check it out!!! Wish I was in Colorado, I would totally help you!

Aww that so sucks. But as others mentioned at least you still have time to try to find someone/some place.

I find it so difficult to find sitting arrangements for pets some times.

But we have kind of a pact with one of neighbours... they watch our pets in our home (pop over 3-4 times days to let the dogs outside - the wife is a SAHM) and we will watch their pet in our own home... before that, it was terrible to find anyone.

That stinks but I agree she gave you plenty of notice. We almost left ours with someone but decided at the last minute to board her at her Vet's kennel and thank goodness we did.

Not to scare you but I tell this to anyone who will listen, wherever you leave your pet(s) be sure the caretakers are attentive and will be there/be able to notice if anything is wrong!

About 2 hours before I was to walk down the aisle in Mexico the Vet calls on the cell and says they thought something was wrong and checked to find out our dog ruptured an anal gland and is probably in a lot of pain. I gave permission to go in and fix it (and cried of course, we were off to Jamaica next and wouldn't see her for another 10 days). If she was at the house we were going to leave her at, the person may not have noticed until she was really in pain.

That's my 2 cents, make sure she's in a place with vets/techs/people who own animals and won't hesitate to act if they suspect a problem :)