Is a Catholic wedding in Mexico legal? I am finding conflicting information on the internet...some say the non-denominational ceremonies are not legal but the Catholic ones are, others say only the civil/judge ceremony is legal. For those of you having Catholic ceremonies at the Marriott gazebo, are you also having the civil ceremony prior? Thanks!

-Kathleen

I'm on the same boat as you. After much research, I found out that the Mexican government only recognizes a marriage as legal only if it has been performed by the Justice of the Peace. Therefore, a wedding performed by a Catholic priest (or a non-denominational minister) is not recognized as a legal marriage and the couple does not receive an official marriage license. So your two options are:

1) have a civil wedding in Mexico (which is recognized as a legal wedding world-wide)

OR

2) have a Catholic AND civil wedding (both can be in Mexico, or you can choose to have the civil wedding in the US).

A Catholic ceremony alone is not legal in Mexico. However, though the Mexican government does not view a Catholic wedding as legal, the Catholic Church does recognize it as a Catholic marriage.

As for my case I have decided to have a civil wedding in Texas, and have the Catholic ceremony in Mexico. The Catholic ceremony is more important to my fiance and I than the civil ceremony so we are inviting all of our guests to Mexico. As for the civil wedding in Dallas, it'll just be the two of us. To us, the civil wedding is more of a formality than anything else.

I hope this helps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas_texas09 View Post
I'm on the same boat as you. After much research, I found out that the Mexican government only recognizes a marriage as legal only if it has been performed by the Justice of the Peace. Therefore, a wedding performed by a Catholic priest (or a non-denominational minister) is not recognized as a legal marriage and the couple does not receive an official marriage license. So your two options are:

1) have a civil wedding in Mexico (which is recognized as a legal wedding world-wide)
OR
2) have a Catholic AND civil wedding (both can be in Mexico, or you can choose to have the civil wedding in the US).

A Catholic ceremony alone is not legal in Mexico. However, though the Mexican government does not view a Catholic wedding as legal, the Catholic Church does recognize it as a Catholic marriage.

As for my case I have decided to have a civil wedding in Texas, and have the Catholic ceremony in Mexico. The Catholic ceremony is more important to my fiance and I than the civil ceremony so we are inviting all of our guests to Mexico. As for the civil wedding in Dallas, it'll just be the two of us. To us, the civil wedding is more of a formality than anything else.

I hope this helps!
Thanks, that is very helpful!! I guess my concern with the civil marriage in the US first (seems easier than doing civil in Mexico) was that the Catholic church wouldn't recognize the Catholic ceremony since you're already married at that point...but sounds like you've checked it out and that won't be a problem. Thanks!

MKDELA -- no problem! I'm glad I could be of help.

You should talk to your local parish. Regardless of where you get married (be it in the US or in Mexico), you STILL have to take the Pre-Cana class that is required by the Catholic Church. That's one of the requirements to have a Catholic wedding recognized by the Catholic church. You normally start the Pre-Cana classes six months before the wedding date. Because you live in the US, you obviously can't do your Pre-Cana classes in Mexico. Instead you do your Pre-Cana classes here in the US with your local parish. Your local parish would be the one assisting you in getting all of your documentations and permissions ready -- such as the Pre-Cana classes, getting permission from your diocese, etc. Once everything has been completed and approved, they will then forward all of that info to the Diocese of Cancun who will then grant permission to the priest officiating your wedding in Mexico.

As you can see, a Catholic wedding is much more complicated than a non-religious wedding!!! There are a lot of permissions and classes and documents involved. Your local parish should be able to help you with all of this. Just call your Church and tell them your situation (that you are getting in Mexico at a place that is recognized by the church, etc.). They should be knowledgeable in this situation and should be able to help you out to make sure that you have everything together. They will guide you to make sure you are following all of the rules of the church.

I am not sure when you are getting married but you should contact your local parish as soon as possible. This is a lengthy process. You also have to present sacramental certificates -- Baptismal, Holy Communion and Confirmation. These have to have the current date as the date of issue. It can not be the original copies. So definitely contact your local parish asap!

Kathleen -

I'm also having a Catholic Wedding. We just meet with our local parish priest last night so, I've only just started this whole process.

Our priest had these things to say:

1. Need to take a Pre-Cana Class. In Chicago, were we live, they offer one day classes from 9:30 am to 4:00 pm on Saturdays, at certain locations.

2. Need the contact information of the Priest performing the ceremony in Mexico, so our Priest can send the necessary documents.

3. Need recent copies (within 6 months) of our Batism certificates (this is a pain for me as I was Batised in Austria).

According to the hotels that perform Catholic Weddings (Iberostar Paradiso del Mar, and Barcelo), the necessary documents we need to send to the Priest in Mexico, are the same ones our local parish requires.... I still need to follow up on this and make sure. Our Priest also needs to send a letter of recommondation stating that we performed all of the necessary requirements for marriage.

As far as legality, we may just get married legally here at city hall and do the religious ceremony in mexico.

If you have any questions let me know!!

ADAMSGRRL: You're lucky that's all you need! The Dallas Diocese requires recent copies of our baptismal, holy communion and confirmation certificates!!! I was baptized and had my communion in the Philippines, and I was confirmed in Canada! So I've had to contact several churches for recent copies of my sacramental certificates.

We were informed that though they need all three certificates, the most important one is the confirmation certificate. I guess it's different at each Diocese?

Kathleen -

That suxs... I'm sorry to hear you have so much work to do.

I can't believe they need that many documents!!! Seems crazy!

It seems to me that they have to allow you to get married if you can't get recent copies.... with all that paperwork you have to find, right?? I mean what are they going to do, say no??!?!